Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are aftermarket barrels available that are ported, but has anybody ported a factory pt92 barrel? Seems it could be somewhat beneficial, but you either have to go way out in front of the slide, or way back behind it which effectively cuts barrel in half due to ported pressure. For a competition/target type gun it might make sense and would likely turn recoil down a huge amount, not to say that there’s much recoil anyway.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I would not have th foggiest idea on how to go about it

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but that is not a factory barrel...and I’m not throwing a $200 barrel on a $300 gun. I might consider milling slots or round plunge ports into a factory barrel (I can do that myself) at worst I foul up a barrel and replace it with an eBay barrel. At best I cut recoil, minimize frame battering, and end up with a fast shooting handy little blaster.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The best way to port a barrel is to use an EDM machine.
Put one port ahead of the front sight and one port just to the rear of the front sight or one inch from the muzzle.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the front/back setup, but I think I’m going to do it as pairs instead of singles. If I offset and do it in pairs I can do it like the revolvers where the flash comes out on either side of the front sights. I know EDM is the right way to do it, but my understanding of the geometry is that as long as the cut is very clean then it will work like it should. Best way I know to make a clean cut is to fill the barrel and drill it so that it will not sliver/break as the bit/mill come through. I can do that with lead bullets driven in, and then pull them out by drilling and threading. I know I can secure the barrel well enough to use a slide-hammer technique to pull the bullets once I have made the cuts, I’m just not sure that I would have enough thread engagement and strength in lead to not pull the threads rather than pull the bullet itself.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Drilling always leaves the edges of the holes deformed. You would have metal pushed into the bore that will have to be removed before a bullet is fired.
I suggest that you make a fake barrel (a thick walled metal tube) to practice on to gain an understanding of what I am trying to say.
There are tools made for removing the burrs but they leave the hole odd shaped in the bore. That odd shaped hole will ruin the accuracy of the barrel that is why I suggested EDM machining the hole or holes.
I spend 8 years as a hand finisher in an aerospace machine shop removing burrs around holes and removing cutting marks from parts before I became a truck driver.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

This is what I found hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts