Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
They send a SWAT team to serve a warrant for "practicing medicine without a license"?! :dunno:...what do they do for overtime parking, call in an airstrike? I support LEOs but this whole idea of lettin' 'em all play SEAL has gotten way, way, waaaay outa' hand. Not defendin' the guy but under the circumstances, I never would've thought they were cops. No accusations of malpractice or of harm to anyone. The guy was apparently an elderly but qualified and experienced doctor that'd just let his license lapse...:unsure:...odd they'd feel the need to dispatch such extreme force just to serve a warrant. With him bein' a former mayor, could this have been politically motivated? None of it makes any sense, there's gotta' be more to it.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
They send a SWAT team to serve a warrant for "practicing medicine without a license"?! :dunno:...what do they do for overtime parking, call in an airstrike? I support LEOs but this whole idea of lettin' 'em all play SEAL has gotten way, way, waaaay outa' hand. Not defendin' the guy but under the circumstances, I never would've thought they were cops. No accusations of malpractice or of harm to anyone. The guy was apparently an elderly but qualified and experienced doctor that'd just let his license lapse...:unsure:...odd they'd feel the need to dispatch such extreme force just to serve a warrant. With him bein' a former mayor, could this have been politically motivated? None of it makes any sense, there's gotta' be more to it.
The info is coming from the news media. Of course there is more info.
Maybe even with any luck the correct info.
You start believing what you see in the media or read on the internet I am going to come over there and slap you........:p
Honestly........some people.

Disclaimer: I am not a criminal lawyer but I play one on the internet.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
The info is coming from the news media. Of course there is more info.
Maybe even with any luck the correct info.
You start believing what you see in the media or read on the internet I am going to come over there and slap you........:p
Honestly........some people.

Disclaimer: I am not a criminal lawyer but I play one on the internet.
:unsure:...but you didn't say you weren't a criminal or a lawyer.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
The article does not say he's a former mayor. It states he is the mayor. The way I see it the whole thing is blown out of proportion. Why couldn't they just wait till he went to his office and arrest him there? I agree why the big deal SWAT team I think that's a little bit of Overkill and should be investigated on its own

Don

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Seriously,Practicing medicine 26 years without a license and then becomes mayor in 2015 ? Called a friend who lives there and said its still a shock to their community,just for a note Port Richey is mostly comprised of Ex New Yorkers . I want to be their next Mayor ,Hell I like fishing 90 % of the time just dont get any medical issues I would have to run down to Sarasota for good Doctors !

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"...predawn incident in which the sheriff's SWAT officers were assisting FDLE."
"...
SWAT officers knocked several times on the front doors of the mayor's home and tried unsuccessfully to use a battering ram to force them open. Another officer tried shooting the locks of the doors with a shotgun."
"...
After they swung the doors open, a SWAT member set off a flash bang grenade inside the doorway."

For what the article says is a warrant for practicing medicine without a license. Sounds like it could be considered excessive.

For your consideration, two scenarios:

1. Militant sheriff who has an axe to grind with the good mayor. Early morning raid, lots of manpower. Shock and awe. An unsuspecting homeowner, asleep in his bed when his door is blown open and an explosive device is detonated inside. This is Florida. Break into someone's house and you can expect to be greeted with gunfire.

2. Early morning raid, lots of manpower. Expecting resistance. Battering ram doesn't take down the door, has to shoot the locks off. Gunfire likely alerted the occupant(s), so in goes the flash-bang. Couple of shots from the inside, met by a bullhorn-wielding deputy who predicts the future if such foolishness continues. Occupant surrenders.

Lots of blanks to be filled in on this story.

Reactions: kschilk and BigBlue

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
What's wrong with putting a cruiser front and back and then calling him on the phone?

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
Given the use of a SWAT team to issue a warrant and CNN's interest in the story, I can only assume this Mayor had been one of those extremely dangerous Trump advisors involved in making America great again.

Reactions: kschilk and 230JHP

·
22,975 Posts
That does NOT sound like a situation that calls for a SWAT team. Ridiculous.

One of the LEOs said "he's lucky he didn't get shot." Look in the mirror, buddy. Trying to batter someone's door down over this kind of thing is unamerican.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Just soze everyone knows, I’m a full time retired physician. My board certification is lifetime and I do keep my state licensure up to date.

I consider all things gun and ammo/accessories and staying up to date on my state and national politics to be my daily job. I just dabble in medicine.

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Stuff like that just scares the hell out of me. I could be on the receiving end of a raid like that and I know how I would react. Probably just the same way as the mayor.

Where is common sense in all of this macho SWAT bullhockey. You don't need a SWAT team bursting down doors, shooting off locks and throwing whizz bangs in the early hours of the morning to serve a warrent for practicing medicine without a license. Holy cow!!!! That Sheriff should have some serious questions to answer.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Like a lot of government agencies, you better be able to prove you're using what you have or your budget is going to get cut next year.

I think a lot of these SWAT teams work hard to justify their existence and the money they've spent.

Also, a lot of this equipment and ordnance is given to them freely by the feds. They need to keep the pipeline flowing by showing it all
been put to good use.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
23 Posts
Watching the local news here in Florida, the police department knew who they were dealing with. They've dealt with him many times in the past for his bizarre behavior - while he was still mayor. He fired the first shot. If the SWAT team was overly militant, they would've shot his ass. I agree. There's still parts of the story they're not telling us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts