Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went shopping this weekend for an IDPA CDP class .45 to replace my 24/7 pro .45. i wanted a pistol that did not have manual safety, or---in the OSS's case---a .45 with a manageable first shot DA trigger pull that i could shoot without having to disengage the manual safety.

OSS trigger appeared to be light enough in DA (de-cocked) mode to work for me, but i still had two concerns....external width dimensions and the stainless guide rod (both are IDPA rule issues). one thing i did not expect to be a problem was the mag release.

i'm a huge fan of the 24/7 grips on the .45 caliber guns...i.e. the all polymer grips, sans the ribber overmold. these grips are unbeatable, and my .45 also did not have the lousy mag release i had experienced with my 9mm and .40 24/7 pro pistols.

bottom line: i evaluated two different .45 OSS pistols (brand new, of course) while in the store. both had completely unacceptable mag release functionality. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

i traded my 24/7 pro for an M&P .45. i now own M&P's in 9mm, .40, and .45 calibers. couldn't help it...i really like the M&P, and the OSS was a huge disappointment---with the same old problem i've seen before.

BTW: have you handled the new XD-M? best mag release i've ever seen on a polymer handgun. this "M" version is huge improvement over the original XD which i do not like at all.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
35,632 Posts
t-rubble said:
i wanted a pistol that did not have manual safety, or---in the OSS's case---a .45 with a manageable first shot DA trigger pull that i could shoot without having to disengage the manual safety.
Huh? a 45 that you can shoot without having to disengage the manual safety.....why did you consider an OSS in the first place?

Here are the OSS and the M&P, side by side:




I'm not real sure exactly what your complaint about the mag release is. If you look at both guns, they are almost identically located, immediately behind the trigger guard. What is your specific complaint, regarding the release?

Quite frankly, it sounds to me like you've got some pre-conceived notions about what you like in a gun, and that's fine....but please don't try to sell it as some shortcoming with the Taurus product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
t-rubble said:
went shopping this weekend for an IDPA CDP class .45 to replace my 24/7 pro .45. i wanted a pistol that did not have manual safety, or---in the OSS's case---a .45 with a manageable first shot DA trigger pull that i could shoot without having to disengage the manual safety.

OSS trigger appeared to be light enough in DA (de-cocked) mode to work for me, but i still had two concerns....external width dimensions and the stainless guide rod (both are IDPA rule issues). one thing i did not expect to be a problem was the mag release.

i'm a huge fan of the 24/7 grips on the .45 caliber guns...i.e. the all polymer grips, sans the ribber overmold. these grips are unbeatable, and my .45 also did not have the lousy mag release i had experienced with my 9mm and .40 24/7 pro pistols.

bottom line: i evaluated two different .45 OSS pistols (brand new, of course) while in the store. both had completely unacceptable mag release functionality. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT

i traded my 24/7 pro for an M&P .45. i now own M&P's in 9mm, .40, and .45 calibers. couldn't help it...i really like the M&P, and the OSS was a huge disappointment---with the same old problem i've seen before.

BTW: have you handled the new XD-M? best mag release i've ever seen on a polymer handgun. this "M" version is huge improvement over the original XD which i do not like at all.
Then go buy a Glock!
These are not competition pistols. IDPA requires OFF THE SHELF and UNALTERED.
WTH are you talking about when it come to dimensions and junk!

I am gonna call the WAAAAAAAAAambulance now to come and get you.
You do NOT know what you are talking about, sounds like you just came here to bash the product!
I do not care if you get me in trouble, but YEAH, I am flaming your tail! (Sorry Admin)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is your specific complaint, regarding the release?

the specific complaint was as i stated in my message...."unacceptable mag release functionallity." the button sticks and does not release the mag. you press that button, and the mag does not free fall to the ground as i expect and require with a pistol." simple as that. and as i stated earlier, this is not the first time i encounter this with a 24/7 series pistol. taurus needs to redesign that mag relase. my taurus 1911 has an excellent mag release that drops magazines immediately. granted, the 1911 is a steel gun, with steel mags....but other polymer guns don't suffer from the same problem as the 24/7 series.

and the reason i considered an OSS is because i like some taurus guns, and i thought i would like the OSS. i know i really like the grip ergonomics....but the mag release won't work for me. go pick up the xd-m and tell me what you think of its mag release functionality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheBulldog said:
Then go buy a Glock!
These are not competition pistols. IDPA requires OFF THE SHELF and UNALTERED.
WTH are you talking about when it come to dimensions and junk!

I am gonna call the WAAAAAAAAAambulance now to come and get you.
You do NOT know what you are talking about, sounds like you just came here to bash the product!
I do not care if you get me in trouble, but YEAH, I am flaming your tail! (Sorry Admin)
well mr bulldog...if you're going to flame me, the very least you should do is get your facts straight. you apparently are not familiar with idpa rules...because if you were, you would understand exactly what i was referring to, and you wouldn't be telling me i don't know what i'm talking about. idpa rules regarding the handguns are not secrets....and idpa does not mandate "off the shelf, and unaltered" as you stated. again, this is not a secret. all the details are in the idpa rule book.

i thought your's was an especially interesting post...coming from someone with a signature quoting the rules of civility.....

...that's good, i like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I have to agree with Mr T. The mag release on my 24/7 OSS does not quickly drop the mag out either. I find that i have to change position and press rather firmly on the release in order to get the mag to drop out. I find that i can not maintain a good sight picture on the target while changing mags with the OSS. On my Taurus PT140 and on my Kimber TLE II just a light press drops the mag without effort.

Maybe it is because the gun is still so new and it could change as it wears a bit, but right now it takes movement and hard pressing.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,805 Posts
T-Rubble you now own 3 M&P's congrats your happy. Hope your IDPA scores improve.
I personally like the trigger pull on the Taurus better then the M&P but you seem to be sold on a product. which is good. How ever I guess you have not read the complaints on the M&P HMMM
wonder why? Buy the way I own several brands of guns two of which are Taurus so I'm not bought and paid for by Taurus. Have you heard of a break in period or possibly clean the gun before you make a decision. Just a couple of thoughts. I've been looking at 24/7's for awhile and the oss and I've never experienced the problem you talk about the mags drop free every time. As I live 5 min from one of the largest gun stores in my area I'm in there quite a bit and I check there inventory out till I have the money to buy. so I've checked maybe 20 guns without a problem interesting. Like I said shoot well and I hope the S&W bugs don't bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
45 Forever said:
T-Rubble you now own 3 M&P's congrats your happy. Hope your IDPA scores improve.
I personally like the trigger pull on the Taurus better then the M&P but you seem to be sold on a product. which is good. How ever I guess you have not read the complaints on the M&P HMMM
wonder why? Buy the way I own several brands of guns two of which are Taurus so I'm not bought and paid for by Taurus. Have you heard of a break in period or possibly clean the gun before you make a decision. Just a couple of thoughts. I've been looking at 24/7's for awhile and the oss and I've never experienced the problem you talk about the mags drop free every time. As I live 5 min from one of the largest gun stores in my area I'm in there quite a bit and I check there inventory out till I have the money to buy. so I've checked maybe 20 guns without a problem interesting. Like I said shoot well and I hope the S&W bugs don't bite.
yes, i'm well familiar with gun break-in and cleaning. i've been shooting handguns for 20 years. while i don't know everything there is to know about handguns, i know enough to be rational and informed about my decision making. BTW...my first pistol was a taurus 92.

as far as s&w is concerned...i'm very happy with the m&p, but that doesn't mean it's perfect either. for starters, i prefer the OSS grip. the m&p mag release works fine for me, but the xd-m's is now the best i've seen in a polymer pistol.

too many people on the forum (i visit other forums) are way too closed-minded on the subject of taurus guns. too many members of this forum refuse to look at any issue without their strong pro-taurus bias. i don't have a problem with taurus (that's why i've purchase several taurus products), but i won't ignore weaknesses. i own firearms from a number of different mfgs. maybe if we (taurus fans, not taurus bashers) put some focus on those weaknesses, taurus will improve the product?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
t-rubble said:
What is your specific complaint, regarding the release?

the specific complaint was as i stated in my message...."unacceptable mag release functionallity." the button sticks and does not release the mag. you press that button, and the mag does not free fall to the ground as i expect and require with a pistol." taurus needs to redesign that mag release. go pick up the xd-m and tell me what you think of its mag release functionality.
Now if your Problem is with the mag release as you say my question to you is have you called Taurus to find out if they could resolve this problem cause i really cant see that you come in here bashing a product that has a lifetime warranty that posibly could be resolved or are you just upset you bought the oss before you found out you coulda bought an XDM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
orlandodriver said:
Now if your Problem is with the mag release as you say my question to you is have you called Taurus to find out if they could resolve this problem cause i really cant see that you come in here bashing a product that has a lifetime warranty that posibly could be resolved or are you just upset you bought the oss before you found out you coulda bought an XDM?
dude,
i never bought the oss. my point was that i intended to buy the oss...i waited for the oss...i waited a long time for the oss....and it disappointed me. i did not buy an xdm either, as it is only avail in .40 as of this writing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,329 Posts
Ok i understand you didnt buy the gun but the ag release is a dissappointment to you now ill ask you have you contacted Taurus to find out anthing about the mag release and if they are working on this issue or if they are aware of this issue and that this is the only issue that stands between you and buying the gun? wouldnt hurt to ask if you are really interested in buying the gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,195 Posts
t-rubble said:
i don't have a problem with taurus (that's why i've purchase several taurus products), but i won't ignore weaknesses. i own firearms from a number of different mfgs. maybe if we (taurus fans, not taurus bashers) put some focus on those weaknesses, taurus will improve the product?
Remarkably well put.
I think some guns are actually designed so that the mag will not completelly drop upon release (CZ-75b I believe is one, or at least ours and others I have read about are like this). Does anyone know if this is the case with the OSS, and if so, are there any minor modifications that can be home done to change this for people who prefer the ability to do tac reloads?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
t-rubble said:
well mr bulldog...if you're going to flame me, the very least you should do is get your facts straight. you apparently are not familiar with idpa rules...because if you were, you would understand exactly what i was referring to, and you wouldn't be telling me i don't know what i'm talking about. idpa rules regarding the handguns are not secrets....and idpa does not mandate "off the shelf, and unaltered" as you stated. again, this is not a secret. all the details are in the idpa rule book.

i thought your's was an especially interesting post...coming from someone with a signature quoting the rules of civility.....

...that's good, i like that.
You want I have the RULE BOOK.
You are not allowed anything but stock off the shelf weapons in IDPA.
The ONLY EXCEPTION on a Mag Release the for 2 Glocks, THAT IS IT because you can ORDER a Different Type button.

BUT THAT IS ALL.
That is from the 05 Rulebook
Do you want the link?
Here it is, GO READ http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf
When you find this mystery provision that you stated, let me know WHAT PAGE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
NYPD said:
Let's settle down a bit.
Okay but he only came on here to bash and used the IDPA to do it and he is wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
orlandodriver said:
In The words of Rodney King Cant we just all get along :p
Well yes we can.
And his opinion is his alone, but to say the IPDA is why he can't or does not like a product is like saying I don't like orange juice because it's from Florida and California.
There just is no logical reason.
Lets face it, the dude wanted to pimp his other pistol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Yeah, and I do not mind that at all, but I do mind him using the IPDA to bash the pistol.
Lost of people use Taurus firearms to shoot IPDA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TheBulldog said:
You want I have the RULE BOOK.
You are not allowed anything but stock off the shelf weapons in IDPA.
The ONLY EXCEPTION on a Mag Release the for 2 Glocks, THAT IS IT because you can ORDER a Different Type button.

BUT THAT IS ALL.
That is from the 05 Rulebook
Do you want the link?
Here it is, GO READ http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf
When you find this mystery provision that you stated, let me know WHAT PAGE.
for starters, try the second paragraph on page page 18. maximum dimensions for guns to fit the idpa box are clearly outlined there. this is also mentioned on numerous other pages, but if you've ever actually competed in idpa matches, you should already know this. my point in mentioning it is the oss has manual safety levers on both sides of the slide, thus extending the gun's overall width. i don't have any overall width specs on the oss. this may---or may not---be an issue. i know of one guy that had his .45 h&k disallowed due to this very issue.

on the guide rod.....pages 22 and 24 address the issue of guide rod material and weight....as does page 18. none of these specifically prohibit the oss rod, but taurus marketing of the oss makes it clear they intended the heavier front end weight of this new design to help offset recoil/muzzle flip. this may, or may not, be an issue with idpa---i haven't actually taken it far enought to find out.

did you actually read the rule book you have? modifications to guns (both allowed and prohibited) are clearly outlined throughout the manual. and yet you continue to state that only "stock off the shelf" weapons are allowed. did you actually read the rule book?

as for your statement regarding my coming on here to bash and using idpa to do it....

that's almost as funny as your "commitment to civility" signature. i wouldn't waste my time "coming here to bash." i'm unfortunately too old to be that stupid and immature.

...i do love that signature however.....
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top