Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Which type of pistol frame type(s) do you own?

• Polymer

Votes: 23 16.2%
  • Metal

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • A mix of polymer and metal

Votes: 89 62.7%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just realized yesterday that all of my pistols have polymer frames. It was not something done on purpose, or even by explicit choice. I have owned many metal-framed pistols in the past, but for right now anyway, all I have is poly. And yes, I know, technically the Kel-Tec is an alloy-framed pistol! :D

So this makes me ask a question. What kinds of frames do y'all have? Poly, metal, or a mix of both? Also, let me know if you prefer one over the other or are basically indifferent to frame material type.......

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Mix of both....although I personally prefer polymer for it's light weight and strength advantages (Yes I said modern polymer is stronger than steel or aluminum alloy :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I own steel, alloy, and polymer pistols. I don't have a problem with any of them... But, let's face it, polymer does weigh less, which is a plus for a carry pistol.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I like my polymer guns , my Ruger MKIII is metal and heavy and I like it also but I've shot the 22/45 that was polymer and like it as well.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like my polymer guns , my Ruger MKIII is metal and heavy and I like it also but I've shot the 22/45 that was polymer and like it as well.
That was my experience as well. The Mark III is great, but the 22/45 is lighter, and IMHO, has superior ergonomics.......

·
Administrator
39,689 Posts
I like 'em both. But I guess if I choose a preference, it's steel. Just because I like it.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I own both. My favorites are steel/alloy. That is subject to change. Hard to beat that chunk of steel right now. :guns:

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
All my handguns are metal. I had 3 polymer frames (PT-145, PT-709, & 24/7 9mm) just did not like them as much as my metal frame guns.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I prefer metal, but i do enjoy my PT22 Poly.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
When I started buying handguns, I was very careful to always buy metal-framed. This led me to the Bersas and at one time I owned at least one pistol in every caliber they offered.
At the same time, my son started his collection with a Smith 22A and a Taurus PT145. I chided him about his "tupperware guns" but I had to admit they never game him problems.
I still like metal and am especially fond of Ruger SS revolvers, but in thinking about the OPs initial question and quickly taking stock (including the Kahr CW45 I acquired just today) I find that - after a lot of trading, selling, swapping and such - all my auto-chuckers are "tupperware guns" and I'll stake my life on the ones I've taken to the range.
(The CW45 goes to the range for the first time Monday...or maybe tomorrow...)

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
When I started buying handguns, I was very careful to always buy metal-framed. This led me to the Bersas and at one time I owned at least one pistol in every caliber they offered.
At the same time, my son started his collection with a Smith 22A and a Taurus PT145. I chided him about his "tupperware guns" but I had to admit they never gave him problems.
I still like metal and an especially fond of Ruger SS revolvers, but in thinking about the OPs initial question and quickly taking stock (including the Kahr CW45 I acquired just today) I find that - after a lot of trading, selling, swapping and such - all my auto-chuckers are "tupperware guns" and I'll stake my life on the two I've taken to the range.
(The CW45 goes to the range for the first time Monday...or maybe tomorrow...)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
All of mine are polymer but not because I like it better than steel/alloy, just the way it is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 30 year old all-steel Astra feels like a boat anchor compared to the 24/7, which has 3 more rounds in it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Metal Revolvers

Polymere Glocks (LOL) and of course anything strker fired

If I get a Da/Sa Decocker style Semi Auto I prefer steel, especially the smaller frame variance CZ75 Compact for example

Blowback style .380's Steel

·
32,527 Posts
I prefer metal framed pistols. Like revolvers I grew up with them and like the heft and the way the guns sit in the hand. I find it easier to hold these a bit more steady than the polymer ones.

On the other hand the polymer guns have durability and lighter weights going for them. It's easy to modify the gun grip with those that come with additional sized grips that can be changed or like Ruger SR9s just switch the grip panel around.

Metal framed guns are durable as well.

There is a lot to like about either polymer or metal framed guns.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Currently own both. My mixture is about 60%-40% Steel over Poly.
I prefer steel or metal framed guns. The poly guns are cool and fun, but when it comes down to it I am a 1911 junkie since a very young age. I like the wieght of the metal guns. I carry my 1911 for 10 to 14 hours a day most days. I only take it off when absolutely neccessary by law. The added wieght does not bother me.

So to answer the OP question, Metal, I prefer Metal over Poly.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The majority of my handguns are stainless steel Smith & Wesson revolvers. My Glock is the only poly gun I own.

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
I have a mix also. At one time I had three different .45`s are polymer and I have a .380 and a .25 with steel frames.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts