Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have heavy lead fouling in the judge poly?I've been using fiochi cowboy loads. I know all cylinders are in perfect timing and it's not shaved lead. Some comes off but it's stubborn as hell. My other normal handguns have smooth rifled barrels. This one seems rugged. Maybe because it's a judge? Still shoots like a dream
Automotive tire Wood Stairs Gauge Auto part

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Honestly....I bought mine 4-5 years ago......shot it for proof of function.....and it now sits in my collection.

Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Metal

With a cylinder as long as the Judge Public Defender Poly.....any flaws in the timing would be (in my mind) greatly exaggerated.

Reactions: 357Funtime

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have a judge, but do have a .410 barrel for my tc contender. Soft lead, any lead really, is prone to leading. I theorize that hot gasses blowing by the bullet before it hits the rifling helps melt the lead. So, I shoot jacketed bullets when I want to do this. 300 grain Hornady XTP are my choice loaded over 2400. The judge would not be a good choice for these hot loads though. If you don't handload, there should be some self defense loads available loaded with JHPs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think that this is a problem with 45 Colt/.410 guns. The long .410 chamber is oversized for 45 Colt bullets and allows hot gases to stream past the bullet and vaporize the lead before it contacts the forcing cone, where ithe lead condenses and causes nasty leading. I have one (non-Taurus) revolver that has throats that are .002" oversized, polymer coated bullets do not cause me any leading problems. Plated and jacketed bullets won't have problems either. Uncoated lead bullets will lead the forcing cone no matter what the velocity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts