Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a Poly PD that I purchased as my backpack gun. So far it's been great and I have no complaints. It usually rides in an holster on a second belt when I'm backpacking so it doesn't interfear with my pack's hip belt. Well I've been bitten by the new gun bug! I didn't know until recently that the PD had an ultra light version that came in at a few ounces less. Believe me every ounce matters when you're on a long trail! How does everyone rate the two against each other? Aluminum vs Polymer whats better? Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi,

Yeti

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the great fraternity of Taurus handgun owners!

I recently bought a new Judge Ultralight (blued) revolver with a 3 inch barrel and was amazed to learn that it is, indeed a few ounces lighter than the Poly Public Defender. As far as giving an opinion as to which is better, I can't say.

I have owned a blued steel Public Defender, and I can tell you that I like the larger grips on the Ultralight, which is built on the Tracker frame, vs the PD's grips, which is built on the M85 frame.

Glad to have you as a member!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you think aluminum would hold up in the long run vs polymer? The UL PD is a few ounces lighter so it gives me thought for a new Judge! Guess it doesn't take much:cool:

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
How do you think aluminum would hold up in the long run vs polymer? The UL PD is a few ounces lighter so it gives me thought for a new Judge! Guess it doesn't take much:cool:
In my case, the Judge is going to be a home defense / car-jacker deterrent, so I won't be putting thousands of rounds through it. I've fired mine enough to know it is dependable for SD purposes.

To answer your question, I venture to say that either would be a very durable handgun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point with not putting a ton of rounds through it. Mine sounds more like a cash register when I take it to the range! If only 410 or 45 LC could drop in price by 75%.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good point with not putting a ton of rounds through it. Mine sounds more like a cash register when I take it to the range! If only 410 or 45 LC could drop in price by 75%.
That's why I reload my target 45LC for 11-12 bucks a box. I use factory loads for self defense though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts