Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bit the bullet and purchased one and have put 150 rounds down range with the gun. I purchased the gun for several reasons, I loved the looks of it, I really wanted to give Taurus a try (even though I KNOW they are hit or miss), I wanted a small frame revolver, and the price was very very appealing. Did I mention I love the way this gun looks? Well I got the gun and took it to the range with a 100ct box of federal 158gr .357 ammo and a 50ct box of blazer brass .38 special. If you've never shot a lightweight revolver in a .357 look out! They are a handful!

I loaded her up with the .357 federal first...I put the first painful 5 rounds down range had that sting from my palm to my elbow..LOL The gun shot good, kicked like a locomotive, and had a fireball big enough to cover my view of the target at 7 yards. It shot 4" left and 6" low for my first 5, but i had a 6" grouping which I can fairly satisfied with having never shot this gun nor any other snub nose revolver ever. I immediately ejected my brass and dropped in 5 more .357 rounds and had my first malfunction...

I quickly unloaded and inspected the gun The cylinder release lever wouldnt properly lock back into its neutral state when you folded the cylinder in. This keeps you from hammering back or squeezing the trigger to fire. I thought 5 rounds and a malfunction WTF!! I was able to get it to properly lock in by sliding it back with my thumb until it locked every time I reloaded, so I carried on with my shooting. 15 rounds into shooting and I had a major "bite" on my right thumb. Still not really sure what chewed my hand up, the hammer wont hit it and the edge of the gun as the only part that had blood and meat attached to it. My guess is the rotation of the gun with how hard I was gripping the gun just let it rip my hand.. no idea. I continued to deal with release lever issues through out the 75 rounds I put through the gun that first session.

When I got home to clean the gun I inspected it and found that the lever worked perfectly as it did when i took it out of the box. I cleaned it well re-oiled it and put her back in her holster waiting for this past weekend. I shot it again this weekend and put the last 25 .357 through it as well as 50 .38 special through it. I inspected the gun before I shot it and everything worked perfectly. We put 15 rounds of the 158gr .357 through it and immediately noticed the same lever malfunction. We inspected it again and put the last 10 through it. Allowed the gun to rest a bit and about an hour later inspected the gun yet again. After cooldown the gun operated perfectly again, no lever issues, everything worked perfectly.

after cooldown and proper inspection it was time for the .38 special to be shot. After every 5 rounds we inspected the gun before reloading and never had another malfunction. The gun shot perfectly and sound every single round using the .38 special. I am going to buy 1 more box of .357 but 125gr this time and give it another go around and record my results. It seems to me like the 158gr may just be a little too much shock for the mechanism in the pistol or creates too much heat in the mechanism. Im not an expert so my opinion is based on feel rather than fact.

There are no real reviews on this gun that i've found so I made one. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of my malfunction and remedy it. And hopefully someone will find this information useful at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
125's have more powder in them due to the increased case volume. They are more often than no the WORST recoil in the .357 magnum ammo you will ever find. FWIW, I have a stainless steel 605 and haven't had the first problem with mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
125's have more powder in them due to the increased case volume. They are more often than no the WORST recoil in the .357 magnum ammo you will ever find. FWIW, I have a stainless steel 605 and haven't had the first problem with mine.
thanks for the heads up on the 125gr ammo.. looks like I may be calling taurus and asking them about that lever issue today :(

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I am about to do something I hate and repeat what may or not be interwebz rumor BS so take this for what it's worth...

I have read a couple of times under Taurus complaints that sometimes the revolvers get too hot and bind up in some way. I own several Taurus revolvers and I have NEVER had that happen to me. I would rather clean everything on the gun first and take special care cleaning under the extractor star and degrease the insides. There is a very good thread on taking a Taurus revolver apart right here on this forum. Grease inside any revolver can do crazy things to function and Taurus packs their guns with some thick nasty grease. If you don't want to find a proper screw driver you could always spray Gun Scrubber or similar into the action. That would get everything with a few repeated tries. Then follow it up with some canned air to get any solvent back out. Next drip some thin oil like Remoil or other inside and spread it around with the canned air. Be aware that Gun Scrubber and many strong solvents will eat rubber or plastic so remove your grips first. I have even seen a couple of guns that still had metal chips and bits in the frame and that is the worst thing to find but the best reason to go ahead and open the frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am about to do something I hate and repeat what may or not be interwebz rumor BS so take this for what it's worth...

I have read a couple of times under Taurus complaints that sometimes the revolvers get too hot and bind up in some way. I own several Taurus revolvers and I have NEVER had that happen to me. I would rather clean everything on the gun first and take special care cleaning under the extractor star and degrease the insides. There is a very good thread on taking a Taurus revolver apart right here on this forum. Grease inside any revolver can do crazy things to function and Taurus packs their guns with some thick nasty grease. If you don't want to find a proper screw driver you could always spray Gun Scrubber or similar into the action. That would get everything with a few repeated tries. Then follow it up with some canned air to get any solvent back out. Next drip some thin oil like Remoil or other inside and spread it around with the canned air. Be aware that Gun Scrubber and many strong solvents will eat rubber or plastic so remove your grips first. I have even seen a couple of guns that still had metal chips and bits in the frame and that is the worst thing to find but the best reason to go ahead and open the frame.
I did strongly consider tearing into the mechanism and inspecting it internally to see if I could find a culprit. I wasnt sure with Taurus having a lifetime warranty if me doing so would have any issues with this. Youve given me that much more of a reason to look into the gun further. Im not worried about tearing it down or getting it back, and I will verify that this was one greasy ass gun when i first got it. I did a basic cleaning on it the first day I had it. Ill hopefully tear into it by the weekend... if so I will post back my findings. In the meantime I am going to give Taurus a shout and run it by them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, I'd open up any new Taurus. Mine was full of the funky brown gunk...plus you can check for burrs and such while you're in there. I took mine apart as soon as I got home, then cleaned it 4 times. That grease is everywhere. Follow the thread here on how to take it apart and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sounds like the bolt spring is getting displaced due to the shock of the .357. That is the internal spring attached to the thumb latch relapse lever mechanism. If you can take the gun apart per the instructions on this site you will see how that assembly functions (it is pretty rudimentary) and examine it for burrs, loose debris etc.

It is a good sign that it is running well with .38!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with this. I picked up a box of 125 gr. Remington's yesterday. I couldn't tell a difference between the 125's and 158's as far as recoil. The most comfortable round I've fired, out of my Poly, are 110 gr. Winchester (white box) JHP.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Yeah, I'd open up any new Taurus. Mine was full of the funky brown gunk...plus you can check for burrs and such while you're in there. I took mine apart as soon as I got home, then cleaned it 4 times. That grease is everywhere. Follow the thread here on how to take it apart and you'll be fine.
Every new Taurus® I purchase has the side plate removed and is completely degreased w/Birchwood Casey® Gunscrubber®. I file, and burnish any rough contact points. I then fill the internal space with powdered graphite. After this I load A-Zoom snapcaps and don a pair of nitrile gloves. With the gun in my hand I place it in a one gallon plastic bag and using duct tape seal the bag to my hand. I then dry fire the gun 1000 times. It is a real mess but the results are worth it. I then fully degrease and thoroughly clean the revolver. I sparingly oil the interior contact points and reassemble the firearm. After I have fired between 200-300 rounds the trigger pull is as smooth as butter; and the trigger breaks like crystal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the review...

I've been looking into the 605 Poly.
357 is a lot of recoil and in a lighter frame, didn't know how bad it would be.
I've got a 605 steel (blue) that I enjoy with 38 Special +P's all the time.
I'll do a 1/2 box of 357s after a couple boxes of 38s to check thing out.

The only problem I've had so far is the Yoke screw keeps on getting loose after the magnums.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Thanks for the review...

I've been looking into the 605 Poly.
357 is a lot of recoil and in a lighter frame, didn't know how bad it would be.
I've got a 605 steel (blue) that I enjoy with 38 Special +P's all the time.
I'll do a 1/2 box of 357s after a couple boxes of 38s to check thing out.

The only problem I've had so far is the Yoke screw keeps on getting loose after the magnums.
That is easily remedied with a single drop of blue Loctite®. The screw will stay in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts