Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a new black Protector Poly 357 at the gun show this a.m. for 310 otd. It was the only one at the show. No shots yet but handling and cking it over a thumbs up. First one I have seen up close. The finish is better then I have seen in pics. Not a Smith or LCR but not far off as some would have you believe. Maybe Taurus improved them. Da somewhat heavy but about average. Smooth pull though. Sa nice and crisp. Cyl release stiff but no big deal for me. The grips and front sight are top notch in my book. That tacky ribber grip feels good. I have avg hands but prefer the big grip. I don't think it will make that much of a difference for iwb carry over the small one. For pocket carry I can see an advantage for the smaller. Now for the front sight. This is the first hiviz one I've used. For my 71 year old eyes it's great. Really pops out. Previously I used orange nail polish which was decent but the hiviz is like an orange light bulb.
The cyl turned freely but I was going to coat the crane shaft with some proprietary grease I made up. When I had the cyl and crane out the cyl would not pull off. Looking at the diagram it seems to be a collet type bushing which I believe requires a vice and a smack. I have done this before on older Taurus revolvers but will leave it for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Or the doctors motto "do no harm". LOL. Well that's it. We'll see if she's ready for the Kentucky Derby or the glue factory at the range. LOL.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few important things I forgot(old age). The cyl lock up is tight as a drum. No end shake at all. Also, when I shine a light behind the cyl the timing is perfect on all chambers. Haven't gauged cyl gap but by eye looks good.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the thorough write up. I have been intrigued by that little banger, and look forward to hearing who wins the horse race.

Reactions: cameleon

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mine's been reliable so far. It does not seem to like speed loaders, them grips weren't made for reloading. The yoke still feels rough and jerky unlike any other revolver I own. Accuracy has been great as a self defense tool but it's no tack driver.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right about the speed loaders. I may trim the grip so the loader lines up better. By the way anyone know of a kydex iwb available for it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Very nice ordered one last week myself and just got a call that it came in, going to pick it up today and give my inout as well. Sounds like its a solid gun so far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I did trim the grip. Cut an 1/8 inch off and used a dremel to thin the top edge. Just a heads up: On these small guns the HKS loaders work somewhat better The drum on the Safariland is longer. There isn't much room to manuver. The Safari 6 shot works well with my 83 but it has factory wood grips and is a bigger gun. I like the way the Safari works, just push, but if it is more cranky to line up it defeats the purpose. By the way the grip looks ok but this will be a work gun. Looks take second place to function. Who really sees it anyway.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Was reading and apparently the 5 star j2 speed loader works without moding the grip but costs around 30$ shipped. Do you have any pics of the mod on the grip? How does it feel after dremeling it back?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I did trim the grip. Cut an 1/8 inch off and used a dremel to thin the top edge. Just a heads up: On these small guns the HKS loaders work somewhat better The drum on the Safariland is longer. There isn't much room to manuver. The Safari 6 shot works well with my 83 but it has factory wood grips and is a bigger gun. I like the way the Safari works, just push, but if it is more cranky to line up it defeats the purpose. By the way the grip looks ok but this will be a work gun. Looks take second place to function. Who really sees it anyway.
I like the safari land because of the push instead of the twist. I wonder how hard it is to manuever on these.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I have switched to speed strips ...

A guy at the range this past fall had a Taurus 357 poly .. He really liked his .. He was shooting 38spl 158gr LRN .. POA at 15yds ...

·
Registered
73 Posts
There was some discussion about the cylinder being hard to open. Mine was almost impossible at first and is slowly loosening up with use. I'm still not happy with it, any suggestions out there?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. I'm curious on the weight? I have a Charter Arms Mag Pug that rides with me. It comes in at 23 ounces. That cylinder should loosen over time. You do need a slight back and forth movement in the cylinder although when it's in battery. If you don't have that you might want to have it looked at.

cheers;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts