Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Does the brass need to be shined to be used? I broke down and purchased new Lee Loading equipment, four turret model, and the necessaries to start loading, but I do not have a polisher as of yet. My question is can I load a few rounds w/o polishing? :???:

Administrator
Nope. Shiny is nice, but clean is of the essence. :angel:

So go ahead and use it as long as it is thoroughly cleaned.

Registered
Smokewagon is absolutely correct. Don't run dirty brass through your new shinny dies. It isn't about the brass looking good, it's about not scratching or damaging your die set with dirty and grimy brass. A tumbler is a great addition to any reloading table. If you don't want to go the tumbler route 00 or 000 steel wool will do a nice job of preparing your brass for the reloader.

Administrator
+1, to what Smokewagon and Rainman said!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I intend to purchase a tumbler in the near future, but funds are short..gasoline prices you know :mad:, but that is another story. I actually thought about washing the brass in a mixture of water and cider vinegar. That should get it clean!! :D

Administrator
Use Straight Cider Vinegar Bath for about 10 minutes or less and then rinse thoroughly with water!

Registered
clean is a must if you have the time the shine is nice but not necessary

Premium Member
Clean is the rule. A tumbler is an absolute essential addition to any reloading bench! (Also your Grandkids can use it for their special rocks)

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Guess what I did? :D I talked my wife in letting me put a couple of hundred rounds of De-Primed .45 acp brass into a sock, tie it in a knot, and throw it in her washing machine with other laundry. I got the brass out after the washer was finished, untied the sock, and VOILA :eek: :eek:, the brass was clean and shiny inside and out. Placed the brass in shell holders to finish drying, and maybe later will try some reloading. It seems this will work until I can spare the funds to get a tumbler.

Registered
Whoa? Washing machine? Personally I wouldn't do it esp. with other laundry; dirty brass contains lead and other dirt from unburned powder and what not. I wonder how much of it transfers onto your clothes. Maybe be it鈥檚 just me, but I also wouldn鈥檛 clean a gun in a dishwasher鈥.

Tumblers can be had fairly cheap; if I didn鈥檛 have one I鈥檇 just take one of those 4L water jugs put the brass in there and give it a good shake, than let it soak for for a little white. Than dry it on a towel.

Registered
I went 18 years without a tumber, but was loading 357 & rifle so brass rarely hit the ground, I never worried about my dies getting scratched. I did get a tumber when I started 9mm, but after shooting 2-300 rnds Sunday I started reloading them without cleaning (the few I found).

I did do the washing machine a few times, in a sock just like you, but it wasn't worth the trouble.

David

Registered
You can make a tumbler out of an old electric ice cream making machine, just get rid of the metal "can" where the ice cream is actually made, rig the paddles (I used bailing wire) to the motor, there's a star shaped hook up where the shaft goes, use the ice bucket for your shells and your media. I takes a little rigging but its a fun project and works well. P. S. old ice cream makers are easy to come by garage sales , a friend e.t.c.

Registered
Tumblers, just like any product, come in a variety of sizes, capacities and price ranges. The least exspensive run from less than $40 to the more exspensive mega tumblers costing in the hundreds of dollars. Decide how often and how much you plan on using it. If you are a part-time reloader, say less than 300 rounds per week, a smaller (and less exspensive) tumbler that will crank out 150 rounds per cleaning will suit your needs very well. If you are hot and heavy into reloading there are machines that can handle several hundred rounds at a time. My needs feel closer to the first catagory and the Lymann 600 (around $70) has served me well. I can't imagine the reloading process without one.

Registered
I got the Frankford from Midway. I have ran it through the paces for about a year with no problem. It seems like a pretty good buy.

Administrator
welder05 said:
I got the Frankford from Midway. I have ran it through the paces for about a year with no problem. It seems like a pretty good buy.
Same here, only I've been using mine going on three years. Well worth the money.

Registered
same here, when i first started out 30+ years back i couldn't afford a tumbler, i would clean the old brass as best i thought it needed but looking back at some 1980s reloads i lit off last year they sure were ugly. also broke out an old 45acp die set and saw they were scratched pretty bad, sent them back to rcbs and wham bam new die back, i have long quit using that set but needed the resizer for something and found the bad die, now i have more reloading items then i know what to do with. ;)

dont know how i got by without a tumbler

1 - 20 of 24 Posts