Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an unexpected visitor yesterday. A policeman came to the door. He said there was an attempted break in two houses down, the day earlier and did we see anything suspicious. I said Yea, that guy, that guy and that guy. Not really, but I wanted to. Ha. I mean really, the guy walking by with the hoodie in 90 degree weather or the car full of gang bangers driving by?
Anyway, apparently someone tried to pry open the back window and the pry bar was still stuck into the window jamb. Evidently the woman that lives there alone, was home at the time and must have scared him off.
My wife still chides me for having a loaded PT 745 next to the bed and a backup 12 gauge (00 Buck) in the closet next to the bed.
The LEO said they weren't sure if it was in the night or daytime.
Now this gives me pause because I have two small dogs that have to go during the night and I have to get up to let them out. I go out the back door in the dark and let them through a small gate to go pottie. Think I don't carry my 38 with me? OH YEA.
You just never know. Again, the wife says I'm silly. OK. I'm silly.

·
Registered
31,743 Posts
Just like insurance....you never need it until you need it!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I had an unexpected visitor yesterday. A policeman came to the door. He said there was an attempted break in two houses down, the day earlier and did we see anything suspicious. I said Yea, that guy, that guy and that guy. Not really, but I wanted to. Ha. I mean really, the guy walking by with the hoodie in 90 degree weather or the car full of gang bangers driving by?
Anyway, apparently someone tried to pry open the back window and the pry bar was still stuck into the window jamb. Evidently the woman that lives there alone, was home at the time and must have scared him off.
My wife still chides me for having a loaded PT 745 next to the bed and a backup 12 gauge (00 Buck) in the closet next to the bed.
The LEO said they weren't sure if it was in the night or daytime.
Now this gives me pause because I have two small dogs that have to go during the night and I have to get up to let them out. I go out the back door in the dark and let them through a small gate to go pottie. Think I don't carry my 38 with me? OH YEA.
You just never know. Again, the wife says I'm silly. OK. I'm silly.
I don't think it's silly - I think it's prudent. I regularly watch a couple of mutts, and when I let them out late I always shine a powerful flashlight around the yard before I cry havoc and let loose the dogs of potty. Not so much for BG's - there's all kinds of stuff that comes out of the woods at night, and all things being equal I'd rather not be de-skunking a dog at 2 a.m. But as far as BG's are concerned, a strong flashlight is a pretty good deterrent too - particularly when it's backed up with a 45 automatic.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well, BBG, you can live with "silly".

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
We had shootings a few houses away, wife is glad I'm prepared, constant awareness is a must

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
silly no way,, aware yes. I dont have a dog to let out, but I can imagine most people are half asleep and not aware. I say stay silly,

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
I had been watching a friends house that had been broken into before they got a large screen TV and a PC and a few other things . So I go in at night and hear something from the kids bedrooms in the back I slowly go to their door and open it and find the new anti break in windows that have coated glass and anti pry windows that had been forced open I had let the old dog out the sliding door and she was barking. I went to the back porch and flicked on the floods and the dog was at the fence barking her head off I had my XD-9 on me. So I called the police and told them I was armed and the situation. They said stay on the line and when a officer gets there lay down the gun and Identify yourself. I had told them my name and the rest went smooth. I had pulled the mag and cleared the gun when I saw them pull up so they never mentioned the gun. They did say the castle law extended to me watching their house as I had their permission and I would have been justified in shooting any intruders. They caught the kid it was the same kid as last time but they did not have enough evidence on him then but they got him the second time hiding close by. You never know. A home invasion scares me to death. And I probably would have shot the guy. I'm glad I did not have to and he was caught.

Lesson learned that it can happen anytime and anywhere. It was late and I had forgot to do it earlier so I was in sweats and a jean jacket. And the keys and just the gun no cell or anything else other then my DL. You just never know!!!!!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Well if your silly, I must be a lunatic. I sleep with a PT-845 beside me with 2 spare mags(right side), Winchester 190 (left side),Maverick 88 below me. I can shoot 55 rounds before I even have to get outta bed.:D There were gunshots here at my apartment complex this morning about 2 a.m. It is not being silly it being prepared to save you and your family. Keep aware.

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
Another thing regarding protecting your self.
When you buy that large screen tv...do not put the box, or the computer box out to the garbage. Don't make yourself a target...now a few well shot targets is different.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
At night I have 8 shells of 12 gauge 00 mounted to the side of the bed, 17 rounds of .45 on the night stand, extra 00 and slugs in the drawer, 2 different 9mm's and 30 rounds of 223 in the closet about 5 feet away. So call me silly...just don't call me late to dinner!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Does Taurus make ten round magazine for California owners? Sounds they need them bad over-there.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have one of these.
I dont care who you are or what uniform you have on. Get the hell off my property. And I could care less about the neighbors.

Attachments

Reactions: 20361

·
Registered
889 Posts
Next to carrying a gun,those dogs are worth their weight in gold,they will sense anything or anyone around the area well before you ! Get those dogs an extra treat for me.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
"Cry havoc! and let loose the dogs of potty." -dbeardslee

We must have the same version of Shakespeare in our homes. I'm still laughing over that quote...

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
On a more serious note, it's really nice having the head of the local police SWAT team living across the street. In over 23 years living here, not one problem. (I do take the SR22 and a flashlight when the Chihuahua needs to go out in the wee (no pun intended) hours...my wife and some neighbors have seen a record-book Great Horned owl in the area.)

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
That`s ok, my wife and son still think that i`m silly for carrying my pistol everyday, and that is after me carrying for the last 11 years! As for being prepared, I don`t see as beiing silly at all. Do what you do and carry on!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts