Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing "Police Turn Ins" like on Budsgunshop.com for S&W Mdl 10 .38 revolvers ($269). I have seen Taurus .38 revolvers on one of the wholesaler sites for $139 (as I recall). Where the heck are LEOs still carrying .38 special revolvers? I haven't seen a LEO carrying a revolver for quite a few years. Anyone have any idea WHERE these guns are coming from?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mall cops, airport cops and school cops. Ive seen several of those still carrying revolvers (mostly older guys) and some local LEOs carry them in an ankle holster as a backup gun although most I know carry compact autos.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Most come from their respective state's "Department of Corrections" (Prisons) who are basically the last revolver hold out agencies of any size.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Some "Police Turn-Ins" are actually from Large Security Companies, like Dunbar, and the likes. Yes, Prisons kept revolvers on hand long past the surge to semi-autos.

These used to be the usual carried a lot, shot a little. However, as qualifications for all armed agencies increased, the number of rounds fired per year did so as well.

There are good deals out there to be had, but you need to be careful.

·
32,481 Posts
There are alot of places in the world who are trading just know from revolvers for pistols.

Many of the guns have been sitting warehouses that are traded in by the departments. They have to decide what to do with them and then dispose of them accordingly.

I've seen a lot of revolver in LEO holsters around here even though they could have procured or bought pistols. Metro Milwaukee has been mostly pistols, but in the suburbs and in a lot of outlaying towns and villages revolvers are still predominant in some areas,

Since a lot of revolvers these days can hold 7 rounds they are not that far off the round count from those who have 1911 formats.

If round count were that important then the 1911 and single stack semi-auto pistols would be things of the past and regulated to the trash heap. So would revolvers.

I lean both ways with pistols and revolvers. If you choose a high capacity gun,fine. If you don't,fine also. It's a personal choice and the gun owner normally has enough sense to what they need and for what purpose the gun will serve.

The police guns can be either used a lot and have seen many hard knocks or get used little due to little practice and actual use except to sit in a holster for most of the gun's life.

There are many fine police trade in guns that show a lot of outside wear, but the interior spaces,including the barrel, are just fine. Or they show trivial wear and are fine inside.

Yes, there are trade ins that got worn out inside and out.

Some of the recent Taurus 82s and S&W 10s I've seen either look like they got dragged down the road 5 miles, in mud and stone, and others that were just fine. I'd have to see the gun before buying normally. Or make sure the gun can and will go back to the seller if it's been a beater and in poor condition. The term Hand Select is not always worth the price, but you have to know who you're dealing with.

I learned the hard way about that buying a Bulgarian Makarov 10 years ago. I paid the Hand Select price and the gun was a dog. They made reparations, but I not use that dealer anymore. Gun show seller,don't you know. :) Turns out I did not know his real rep for selling guns. I did some checking but not enough. I just had to have a Makarov. Lesson learned. :)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Many of these guns are also from overseas. J&G has some Taurus 80's in stock cheap right now. I want one, but I already have one.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
There has been a large quantity of Taurus .38 Special revolvers recently made available for sale in the US that came from Law Enforcement Agencies in South America. These revolvers usually have the lanyard ring on the butt. Most of the ones I've seen look to be in pretty good mechanical condition. Most show lots of holster wear but not much mechanical wear. In other words carried a lot but seldom used.

·
32,481 Posts
If anyone picks up a cheap copy publication Shotgun News or Gun Digest they'll see who has the ads besides J&G Sales. Prices vary.

www.jgsales.com usually has good prices on used guns.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The S&W Model 10's from Bud's are ex - Australian police. Most of them are 1980's thru 1990's models, so it appears that (at least some of) the Aussie police agencies still used revolvers at least into the 90's.

As for condition and so forth, I've seen a couple of them in person. Each had a good bit of holster wear, but the barrels and cylinders looked great.....as if they were fired little and well maintained. Function on both was perfect. Bud's guarantees function of the guns, as long as the customer makes a decision before taking the gun home (from the pass-through dealer). If the gun is refused at the dealer (and sent back to Bud's) they will give a full refund. If you accept it and take it home - it's yours.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There has been a large quantity of Taurus .38 Special revolvers recently made available for sale in the US that came from Law Enforcement Agencies in South America. These revolvers usually have the lanyard ring on the butt. .
Which models where they with the laynard?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have a Friend who works for the Texas corrections department as a Prison Guard and yep, They carry revolvers.
Probably some Liberal Politician decided it would be too hard for an Inmate to figure out how to use a Semi-Auto if He managed to get one away from a Guard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts