Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been seeing military/police trade-ins for sale online for fantastic bargins. first the sig p6 caught my eye. now i'm lookin at a s&w 4053.

i'm strugglin with buyin online without handling and inspecting the gun.

lookin for feed back from folks who have bought on line or have experience with the s&w 4053.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Most police trade-ins are in good shape internally. (Since most cops don't shoot their duty gun enough to wear it down :bang:)

You will see holster wear on the finish but all-in-all a police trade in will function 100%.

*sidenote---don't buy my trade-in Glock 22 when AZ DPS moves to .357 Sig. ;)
I easily put 200-250 rounds a day down the pipe. :p

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Most police trade-ins are in good shape internally. (Since most cops don't shoot their duty gun enough to wear it down :bang:)

You will see holster wear on the finish but all-in-all a police trade in will function 100%.

You are sure the exception!!

Every trade in LE gun I have seen looked close to NIB,but with holster wear, with the exception of the ones that obviously had been used by the SRT, SWAT types. My son, has his original Glock (the first small departments did not buy LEO weapons), probably 10,000 plus round thru it, and still looks and operates almost like new.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
A day?!?!???? Holy crap!! I would not want to supply you with ammo!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I obviously shoot much more than the typical LEO since I enjoy shooting and I want that gun to become a part of me so that I won't have to even think when it needs to be drawn. (I don't just stand in front of a paper target and shoot; my routine is much more involved---holster drills, weak hand shooting, crouched and on the ground shooting, point shooting, etc)

So in the almost 6 months now that I've been working with AZ DPS I've fired over 30,000 rounds through my Glock 22. Still runs like a new gun.

*Don't even ask how many I have through my NYPD issue Glock 19 :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I have a old range gun 357 686 S&W and replaced afew springs and its a great gun.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
I obviously shoot much more than the typical LEO since I enjoy shooting and I want that gun to become a part of me so that I won't have to even think when it needs to be drawn. (I don't just stand in front of a paper target and shoot; my routine is much more involved---holster drills, weak hand shooting, crouched and on the ground shooting, point shooting, etc)

So in the almost 6 months now that I've been working with AZ DPS I've fired over 30,000 rounds through my Glock 22. Still runs like a new gun.

*Don't even ask how many I have through my NYPD issue Glock 19 :eek: :eek: :eek:
I bet you dont pay for your own ammo do you?

·
Registered
339 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:

I'm glad you went on to explain this. I was wondering what part of Arizona you work in.
Tombstone?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
rwcreigh said:
I bet you dont pay for your own ammo do you?
ya i was thinking the same thing.. i guess they must pay for the ammo.. i'd hate to see the bill.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I actually work in the central Phoenix area. Tombstone is pretty far south of me.

And no, I don't pay for the .40 caliber ammo I use. It's supplied by the Dept.

Any other caliber I want to use at the range is supplied by me.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
do they get a good deal on their ammo? or what?

i mean i dont know how much they pay you (and im not asking either)
but assuming they pay 10 bucks for 50rnds they must spend about 200-250 bucks a week on your ammo alone..

course im just pulling those figures outta the air but wow that seems like a lot.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I'll let NYPD answer for himself but when my Dad ran the Academy up in MIch ammo was bought in such large batches that it was extremley cheep remember Govt. contract and Homland security
in my little town we have a $500,000 mobile comand center its a beut but ah why. We even have full time SWAT Why you ask, to get a cat out of the tree when they scared it up there to begine with.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I don't know what they pay here for .40S&W but in NYC the Dept. purchased Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr+P+ in 50 round boxes marked for LE use. Those averaged out to $5.60 for 50 rounds. (Not bad, huh?)

And they don't buy ammo just for me. ;)

We have a massive stockpile of .40S&W, .223, 12-gauge and not as much 9mm for the SWAT guys with the HK MP5's .

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
now we know wy we pay $38 buck a box for the good stuff LOL

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
I don't know what they pay here for .40S&W but in NYC the Dept. purchased Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr+P+ in 50 round boxes marked for LE use. Those averaged out to $5.60 for 50 rounds. (Not bad, huh?)

And they don't buy ammo just for me. ;)

We have a massive stockpile of .40S&W, .223, 12-gauge and not as much 9mm for the SWAT guys with the HK MP5's .
i know they dont buy just for you thats why i figured maybe 10 bucks instead of 13 or 14..

i am rather shocked they can get gold dots for that price.. omg!

im surprised they dont switch the swat guys to mp5/40... that way they coudl drop 9mm altogether and probably save money.. but now that i think of it i think they might have discontinued it in .40 cal, not sure.

45 Forever said:
now we know wy we pay $38 buck a box for the good stuff LOL
YA!, no doubt. damn police hogging all the ammo driving the price up!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Yep, the MP5/40 was discontinued a about 7 years ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Delta103 said:
been seeing military/police trade-ins for sale online for fantastic bargins. first the sig p6 caught my eye. now i'm lookin at a s&w 4053.

i'm strugglin with buyin online without handling and inspecting the gun.

lookin for feed back from folks who have bought on line or have experience with the s&w 4053.
I bought a S&W 4006 trade in. The magazine's have the Chief's name engraved into them, not sure if it has 200 rounds through it . . . LOL For less than half price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts