Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
Well, I need to see more information to make a judgement. However, a 15 year old with a handgun should have realized the police would play for keeps. 15, sounds like the kid may have been held back to still be an 8th grader.

Reactions: marinemom

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The story says a lot while saying very little. It's a little hard to figure out "Police found the student with a handgun in a hallway and shot him" when they don't give you the slightest explanation of what happened.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I don't know but if that would have happened here, Gang Banger would be the first thing that pops to my mind.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
If a 13 yr. old Viet Cong could crank off an AK at an American G.I.

Then a 15 yr. old Texas middle schooler can crank off a round at a Texan LEO.

In this case there are too many facts not known to the public.

Before any "tofu eaters" start whining about 15 yr. old "kids" in general, one of mine was 6'2" tall and 245 lbs. at that age.

·
5,686 Posts
You always have to remember that the media likes to play on peoples emotions by how they word the headlines. "Child shot by cops" "Grandpa gets taken down by police"....etc. Always turns out to be the Child has a mustache and Grandpa is a strong 50year old. I never make judgement on the title alone.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I used to work with juveniles who had been charged as adults. They were 14 to 17 with charges ranging up to murder, a 15 can kill you as quickly as a 50 year old. We have a 16 year old in our county jail wiating on trial for shooting and killing a veteran police officer. Age has nothing to do with deadly force, if you present deadly force you will be met with the same.

Will

·
Registered
161 Posts
Age has nothing to do with deadly force, if you present deadly force you will be met with the same.

Will
Very well put Will. LEO's want to go home to their families and if you present deadly force that may stop them from being able to do so they will do what they have to do.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I heard an update that he was caught "brandishing" by his fellow students. When the police arrived he "brandished" the weapon at them. They then said that he refused to give up or drop the weapon. I don't remember the exact wording but it went down like he must have pointed the weapon at the cops and they then opened fire on him. I'm still waiting to hear more. But it's starting to sound real bad for the kid. It isn't helping that he was 15 years old around mostly 12 and thirteen year old kids. Something stinks here, and it's not the gym locker.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I guess I too would wonder about the age shown since I graduated from High School at age 17, but then They didn't have Kindergarden when I started school and the school talked myparents into letting me start school a year early. I am sure that was done to help boost their enrollment since it was a small school. They didn't have enough students in high school to field a football or baseball team and everyone made the basketball team so that they could have reserves on the bench.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
GUN safety education would go a long way in this country.. As kids we were taught proper gun handling and safety at early ages. THis turns out to have been a pellet gun ... So very sad, he apparently had a reason for not cooperating with the LEO's??

Police: Student killed by officers had pellet gun - Yahoo! News

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (AP) — An armed eighth-grader gunned down by police officers in the hallway of his Texas middle school Wednesday was brandishing a pellet gun that looked like a firearm, and he refused repeated orders to lower the weapon before the officers opened fire, police said.

The carbon-dioxide powered pellet gun 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez was holding looked like a handgun, and the initial report to police that sent officers rushing to Cummings Middle School Wednesday morning was for a student seen holding a gun, Orlando Rodriguez, Brownsville's interim police chief, said at a news conference.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The teen was "brandishing", which in Texas means having the weapon exposed and waving it around in a negligent manner, I believe a Class A Misdemenor. That on top of having a gun in school.

He couldn't been the sharpest knife in the drawer if he was in 8th grade at 15.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I really wish that more parents could have the same reaction or comments that the "godmother" in the story had.. "she said she understood that police were doing their job..." everyone is always in a rush to blame the police and make them out to be the bad guys. But for the most part they are always just doing their job.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I was a "bad boy" in high school.. Lived it, breathed it. Defiant as all get out. teenage angst right? With the wake fallowing tragic school shootings. Even I wasn't mischievous enough to bring a fake handgun to school.. This person just bit off a tad more trouble then he could chew.
I would also like to say that the first time I ever seen a handgun I was 13 and riding on the school bus heading into school. Let that one soak in for a minute. Kids are getting worse, If I was a LEO and a 15 year old pointed a weapon at me, Id probably be wrong assuming that by his age alone, it probably was a toy.. dead wrong

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
This is a PT99 "pellet gun".

This is a PT99 9mm.

Either weapon pointed at the direction of a peace officer who orders it be dropped will precipitate return fire.

None of us on this forum would act any differently if a crook broke into our homes pointing the airsoft gun in picture one at us after being commanded to stop.

Age is irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts