Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

They were responding to an accident on the interstate and were walking up to a car that had overturned, probably thinking they were going to be helping an accident victim inside, when the guy pointed at the cops was a .44 cal handgun. The picture they showed on the news yesterday showed a .44 cap and ball black powder revolver. According to this link they told him 41 times to drop the weapon, and only fired after it appeared he was trying to pull back the hammer. If I had to guess based on the limited amount of info available right now it sounds like suicide by cop. If he could've gotten the hammer back and fired a round it would've been just as deadly as any modern round. In 2016 a guy in Ohio murdered his neighbor with one.
Also I think there was a case in California of a murder with one several years back.

Registered
The '58 Remington was the second most issued revolver for the Union during the Civil War behind the Colt 1860 Army. A .454 round ball over 40gr of BP is just as deadly today as it was back then.

Can't tell from the pic if there's a conversion cylinder in it, but, if there is, it's just as dangerous as a Smith and Wesson Model 25 with the same ammunition in it.

For a few years there between the end of the Civil War and the adoption of the Colt SAA, a '58 Remington with a 5 shot cartridge conversion cylinder was standard military issue for cavalry troops.

Reactions: ChrisH and PTDOUDE

Super Moderator
I bought a cartridge conversion for my 5" '58. It shoots GREAT, but it helps to handload. It's recommended to shoot cast lead which isn't easy to find in .45ACP. BUT, the conversion cylinder is also available in .45 Colt. I already had a Blackhawk in .45 Colt, though, and wanted the .45ACP, I already cast .45s and handloaded 'em. The conversion turns out to shoot lights out. I like it! I still shoot the cap and ball occasionally. I like the smoke and the BOOM. :D

Registered
Poor guy was on his way to register for college and one of those evil guns hopped in his car. I'd bring my gas can to the riots, but it would be too expensive to fill it up!
I don't think we'll have to worry about riots. Although he was a good boy who was getting his life together, who was getting ready to go back to school and would lite up when talking about his 11 kids (all infants) he'd never met...news said he was a white male. Nothing to see here, just another suicide by cop.

Registered
Wonderful, now there will surely be a call for the registration/regulation of "Antique Assault Armaments" by Gun Control Activists.

That being said, I don't think this was "suicide by cop" because if that were all this person wanted, then they could have done it more easily/cheaply with a realistic model/replica of a firearm.

Registered
Poor guy was on his way to register for college and one of those evil guns hopped in his car. I'd bring my gas can to the riots, but it would be too expensive to fill it up!
And you left out the part where he was just heading for the convenience store to "buy" some swisher sweet cigars when these EVIL cops shot him.

Super Moderator
Definitely sporting a conversion cylinder. Here's a better pic. Better hurry up and get a few black powder revolvers and cylinders before they have to go through an FFL and the prices go up more than they have already.
View attachment 488218
I have in the past and even had them delivered to the house :D I even have a cap and ball NAA mini revolver WITH a spare cylinder.

Registered
I have in the past and even had them delivered to the house :D I even have a cap and ball NAA mini revolver WITH a spare cylinder.
Haven't seen a NAA mini c&b. I bet it's pretty cool. I have a mini 22 short revo and it's a fun little gun to plink with. I stocked up on a few thousand CCI shorts right at the beginning of the madness.

Super Moderator
Haven't seen a NAA mini c&b. I bet it's pretty cool. I have a mini 22 short revo and it's a fun little gun to plink with. I stocked up on a few thousand CCI shorts right at the beginning of the madness.
It is, power on par with my .22 mag version using 777. NAA offers a conical, too, and I bought a small supply, carried away much as you and .22 shorts. 馃お

Registered
Wonderful, now there will surely be a call for the registration/regulation of "Antique Assault Armaments" by Gun Control Activists.

That being said, I don't think this was "suicide by cop" because if that were all this person wanted, then they could have done it more easily/cheaply with a realistic model/replica of a firearm.
I'm still going with suicide by cop. When you point an unloaded weapon at police and after repeatedly being told to drop it you attempt to cock it I'd say SBC or terminal stupidity. Either gets you just as dead.

Registered
I'm still going with suicide by cop. When you point an unloaded weapon at police and after repeatedly being told to drop it you attempt to cock it I'd say SBC or terminal stupidity. Either gets you just as dead.
Maybe he thought it was just like in the movies, where every gun is fully loaded and six-shooters have a 67-round capacity?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts