Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area.

Was curious about different pocket carry holsters for the TCP. Especially for a alien shaped body, really tall and skinny.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I and my wife both use a Blackhawk size 03 pocket holster for out TCP's. I slide mine in my back pocket, and she in her purse. Works for us. You can usually find them at Walmart. In my back pocket, mine looks like I have a wallet in there.

·
22,542 Posts
Here's my pocket holster. Maybe I should make some more of these, as often as this question comes up. Covers the trigger for safety, prints like a wallet, and allows a full grip for a good, fast draw.

Reactions: MilProGuy and Sekol

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Here is the thread on the self made pocket holster: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/concealed-open-carry/5145-self-made-pocket-holster.html

Here is my self made pocket holster for my 738:

As you can see it is a lefty. I leave my trigger finger side open, just in case the holster doesn't come off on drawing and I make sure that firing will throw the holster off. Flat side goes out to prevent printing and the holster will stay in the same location in my pocket without moving around, or turning upside down. Pocket holsters are extremely easy to make, but you do have to figure out a few things in your design, like how to remove the holster on drawing. My first holsters were pocket holsters and then I moved on to more complicated designs. I think this one was the second holster I made. LOL, I wasn't paying attention and my first one was a righty.

GhostHorse's holster looks like it would meet all of my design goals. Nice, simple and efficient.

No mater what pocket holster you use, DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN THAT POCKET.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm using a Desantis Superfly.

If you want to carry a spare mag, Recluse makes a pocket holster that includes an integrated magazine holder too.
Recluse Holster

Never got around to getting one, but I think it looks really interesting. The gun sits in a molded trigger block that absolutely prevents the trigger from being pulled while it's in the holster. Odd that it's one-sided though.

·
22,542 Posts
GhostHorse's holster looks like it would meet all of my design goals. Nice, simple and efficient.
Thanks, Wolf! The biggest differences I see between yours and mine are

1) Mine is about the same thickness as the slide of the pistol, so it doesn't collapse at all and therefore always prints like a wallet. The photo doesn't really show that, does it? To me, this is important if I bend over or squat, putting the rear pocket of my jeans under tension. Well, more tension.

2) Yours is much better looking.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I used a mixture of paraffin and neatsfoot oil on the leather that I used a long time ago on water proofing leather knife sheaths. It makes the leather very rigid with no bend at all so it holds its shape and does not absorb any moisture. I only front pocket carry and mine looks like I am carrying my cell phone. I've had a few folks ask if I was worried about breaking my cell phone carrying it like that.

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
I have an ACE Case for mine. Works just fine. I used to have the Blackhawk from Walmart, however I had an issue with it and choose to replace it. The top started to stretch open a little and would not keep things out like it should.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've owned three different pocket holsters and they have all served me well.

Here is my Taurus TCP in the Guru pocket holster.

TCP in Guru Pocket Holster.JPG

And a Ruger LCP in my Talon pocket holster.

Ruger LCP in Talon Pocket Holster.JPG

And my TCP in the High Noon pocket holster (which is, in my opinion, the most durable one I've owned.)

Taurus TCP  (8).JPG

Any of these three holsters carry comfortably and discreetly in my hip pocket.

Taurus TCP  (9).JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK I've heard about folks carrying in the back pocket but I'm concerned that to a pickpocketer (spelling?) that thick looking wallet would represent an attractive payday. So you get your pocket gun picked, then what?

I understand those that do it (pickpockets) for a living are really good, meaning you're not likely to notice. And if ya do notice, then what? They got your gun.

Am I over thinking this?

Its out for me anyway on account of my bony a$$.

·
22,542 Posts
If I'm in an area with any risk of pickpocketing (those areas are usually reasonably well known), you can keep you hand tucked in your pocket over the gun.

Reactions: 33nine

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dig the ones you guys have made for yourselfs but I guess I'm looking for a "ready to wear" option. Was looking at the nemesis and Superfly. Any pro's/con's one vs the other? Some of the comments on amazon suggest that both can loosen up after a few months, to a point where the gun might fall out when sitting. Any thoughts on that?

Found this thread from over a year ago. Kinda like the Kydex one. But it looks like it would be more prone to coming out with the gun.

Any thoughts?

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/7...tml#post1269931?highlight=show+pocket+holster

·
Registered
97 Posts
Look at Uncle George 's Website. Works great with Wrangler jeans like you get at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Quote MilProGuy, "And a Ruger LCP in my Talon pocket holster."

Thank You! I sold a Talon holster with my TCP, (never should have done it!), and I've been trying to remember the
brand name ever since. One day I will re-arm myself with a TCP, and hopefully a Talon to go with it.

·
22,542 Posts
CDNN has TCPs for $190 right now........ :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
My defense against a pick picketer is to buy shorts that have a Velcro flap over the pocket. My front pockets are always protected by my arms or hands when in a crowded area. Situational awareness really helps. I have seen some of the take and pass off methods used by groups of 3 people working together, being aware is the first step.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Indeed I feel this is one of the many virtues of front pocket carry.

I'm walkin' down the street
Like Lucky Larue
Got my hand in my pocket
I'm thinkin' 'bout you
I ain't hurtin' nobody
I ain't hurtin' no one

John Prine

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I like my Uncle George's a lot and I use it the most, although MilProGuy's High Noon looks sweet. I like the texture on that one. I have contemplated buying some Remora tape to put on the back of the Uncle George to help it stay in the pocket. Edit: I use the UG for both front, back and cargo pocket carry. Although you didn't ask, I included a photo of my Theis IWB. I love it, too, and it holds it snug and disappears . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
CDNN has TCPs for $190 right now........ :rolleyes:
Got you beat, my LGS (Larry's Pistol & Pawn) has them for $177, plus $100 if you want the Crimson Trace laser.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts