Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I left the holster at home and carried the PT145 in an inside pocket of a leather jacket to church. Didn't like it. The weight makes the jacket sag to much on one side. I had to keep my hand in a pocket and support the weight of the inside pocket with my wrist. I've seen the 5.11 jackets and vests advertised. Anyone have experience with this type carry. Do they have some sort of support or something to eliminate the sag? :drool:

Registered
I haven't tried any of the various jackets or vests with built in holsters but I frequently put a steel small frame gun into the center pocket of my winter coat and the same pocket of a down vest I have. By Center Pocket I'm talking about the one with the opening (and its own zipper) that is right by the main zipper. Both of mine are set up for right hand access and the pocket is mostly parallel to the ground. These are not easy to describe for those who may never have seen one.

Anyways... I've found that if you put something heavy (like spare ammo) on the other side of the coat it doesn't sag as badly. Basically you're trying to balance the load. I usually use an extra magazine (for an auto) or the speed loader and speed strip for the revolver. I might add more ammo than I normally carry just to help with the balance.

Steelheart

Registered
What kind of church do you go to to need a gun? I guess you never know.

Registered
I do the same thing as Steelheart; if I carry in my jackets I add something of roughly equal weight to the other side (mag, cell phone, photos of my gun collection to show off :D)

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taurus9mm said:
Exactly. You never know.

Registered
You don't seriously think it is the people in the church that are the predominate threat? It's the rogue jilted husband/wife in a domestic dispute that would do the deed in a public place or place that would have even more meaning behind the intent, the robbers wanting the tithe offerings, or the thugs waiting in dark parking lots or behind buildings that concerns most church goers I know.

Taurus9mm said:

Registered
Taurus9mm said:
Just plug "church shootings" into Google. Anywhere at anytime...

Steelheart

Registered
Steelheart is correct. There have been recorded instances
where thugs committed robberies at churches during
wedding receptions. People often give money as gifts to
the married couple.

Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
Isn't this why most of us got a gun to start with. Personal protection extends to any place you might encounter a BG. Of course if the pastor knew and made a statement that guns would not be allowed. I quite possibly would leave it in the car.

But as we are not gonna broadcast the fact that we have a gun, unless you shoot with the pastor on Sat I would say keep your peace, and your piece.

Registered
I have a vest that is the same as a 511. The only thing difrent is there is no velcro in the pockets for the belt system. I cary a Airweight Mdl. 37 in the Right flap pocket and on the Left in the Mag Pockets I carry a Multi Tool and Speed Strips for balance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.