Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M85 UL. I do IWB and belt holster carry. Is there any tips for successful front pocket carry that you guys have had luck with. I do not want to bob the hammer. Thanks for any and all replies. And i do wear blue jeans, not tight, 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Lots of different styles of pocket holsters, so you do not print.
Would depend on what you would like there. Check out either the holster sites, Galco, Bianchi, etc. Or go to one of the retail sites, Midwayusa, is one example. Look the styles over.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fords, don`t really want to change out grips though, may be asking for the impossible. Thanks Robby, my biggest thing is the hammer hanging up on pocket when drawing, is there a hloster that will help with that?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
It has been recommended by either one of the Mods, or members that you need to get your lovely thumb over the top of the hammer, prior to pulling it out, keeping it there until you want to fire, then you pull back the hammer and go single action.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Robby. I don`t know so much about my thumb being lovely but that may be the only way to go. I guess I was hoping for advise on a pocket holster that might help with draw that would help with hammer hanging up. :-\

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, my little 357, W/hammer could be a bear to get out of a pants pocket too. I wear insulated vests in the winter, so it rides in the pocket there, with the grip almost exposed, but when I reach in, I put my fingers around the side of the grip, trigger finger along side the guard, and thumb over the hammer and out it comes. I am not fast, but consistent. I been practicing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Robby, i have just now been trying your thumb on hammer thing, going into single action mode and it works very well, thanks my friend. Any more tips out there on this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depends on how you want to carry. If you want the grip exposed above the pocket line, then I would go with a clip draw. If you want full concealment, then something like the nemesis will do you well. It covers the trigger, and the holster will keep the gun from slipping

http://www.desantisholster.com/n38.html

Since your gun has a hammer, you are going to have some issues getting it out of your pocket without having the hammer catch. One thing you can do is practice your pocket draw by putting your thumb next to the hammer. You can also put your thumb on the hammer as you draw, but make sure that you don't end up cocking it as you draw. Having a cocked gun you your pocket is bad news.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, thanks Mr. Paws. Pocket carried a Kel-Tec p-3AT in a Pocket Pal holster for a while. I just may have to get one of those Desantis and work on the draw with the thumb on the hammer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd be very carefull of cocking a DA gun in a defencive situation where stress runs high. You can cover the hammer with your thumb just as said, but not cock it. If you draw your gun & that settles the situation & it's cocked you have a dangerous uncock to perform under stress. Frank

·
Registered
118 Posts
Frank V said:
I'd be very carefull of cocking a DA gun in a defencive situation where stress runs high. You can cover the hammer with your thumb just as said, but not cock it. If you draw your gun & that settles the situation & it's cocked you have a dangerous uncock to perform under stress. Frank
+1. There is a reason for double actions and safeties.

·
Registered
878 Posts
When I pocket carry my 605 I use a Desantis Nemisis. Works great, even wearing jeans.  Also I found that shoving my thumb up behind the hammer spur worked best for the draw, as it did not add any size to the gun like putting my thumb over the spur. The first knuckle on your thumb clears the way for the spur when you draw, then just drop your thumb to the side for a DA shot.  Try it, you'll like it :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jkwas said:
When I pocket carry my 605 I use a Desantis Nemisis. Works great, even wearing jeans. Also I found that shoving my thumb up behind the hammer spur worked best for the draw, as it did not add any size to the gun like putting my thumb over the spur. The first knuckle on your thumb clears the way for the spur when you draw, then just drop your thumb to the side for a DA shot. Try it, you'll like it :)
Tried it and I like it. Thanks Jkwas and all my other Taurus Armed friends out there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jkwas said:
When I pocket carry my 605 I use a Desantis Nemisis. Works great, even wearing jeans. Also I found that shoving my thumb up behind the hammer spur worked best for the draw, as it did not add any size to the gun like putting my thumb over the spur. The first knuckle on your thumb clears the way for the spur when you draw, then just drop your thumb to the side for a DA shot. Try it, you'll like it :)
Hmmm, under instead of over. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For me personally I would not carry a hammered revolver in my pocket. Maybe a hammerless model or a Sub-compact auto 9 or 40. Just my personal prefrance. To me there are to many things that could go arry trying to carry or pull a hammered out in a hurry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts