Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article and listing of selected pocket nines. Like any list always of recommended pistols, subject to debate (I think that's why lists are so popular).

Nines in the Pocket: 8 Best 9mms for Personal Defense - Guns & Ammo

Best feature is the chart - this is how comparisons should be made. Be nice if they included a few more variables like price, muzzle energy but this is so much better than the typical comparison it seems like nit picking to be too critical. Kimber Solo is a standout. After that, your choice.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Kimber stats are impressive, but I sure love my LC9. I know most of you are 709 fans and I like my new Taurus, but my Ruger just disappears when i carry it. 
I liked the feel of the LC9 as well. Seemed very, very slim. Never shot one. I am waiting to hold a Shield (long wait).

I did not like the feel of the 709...the grip was too aggressively designed for my taste. Maybe a rubber grip would solve that problem. I am spoiled by the PT111 1st generation grip...smooth.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
As well as the technical verbiage, I've always liked the "side by side" gun comparisons.

Just wish they'd included the 12+1 Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro in their comparison photo.

Then folks who opt for single stacked compacts can see what they're giving up. Twice the capacity in, for all intents and purposes, a package of the same size & weight. :r_c:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
"Be nice if they included a few more variables like price, muzzle energy..."
MSRP would have been easy to post but it is not a true indicator of market price which would be tough to list right now as it will vary by hundreds of dollars in many cases with the market what it is.

Here's a great site for a solid overview of ammo on the market that includes muzzle energy and velocity:
http://www.ballistics101.com/

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
thanks for the link. Too many gun mags out there to buy them all, so I appreciate this one.

I love my LC9 and it's a great pocket carry. (I tried both the LCP and Taurus 738, but prefer the 9mm which is only a tad bigger.)

But still, I read everything I can when new ones come out. Since I pocket-carry, the smaller the better. Only way I'd replace the LC9 would be if someone came up with one substantially smaller but without breaking the bank. The LC9 was very reasonably proiced when I got mine. Hvae no idea where prices are today.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Article and listing of selected pocket nines. Like any list always of recommended pistols, subject to debate (I think that's why lists are so popular).

Nines in the Pocket: 8 Best 9mms for Personal Defense - Guns & Ammo

Best feature is the chart - this is how comparisons should be made. Be nice if they included a few more variables like price, muzzle energy but this is so much better than the typical comparison it seems like nit picking to be too critical. Kimber Solo is a standout. After that, your choice.

Looks like all the information to calculate muzzle energy is there at least. Just need to run the numbers.

Muzzle energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the link. Too many gun mags out there to buy them all, so I appreciate this one.

I love my LC9 and it's a great pocket carry. (I tried both the LCP and Taurus 738, but prefer the 9mm which is only a tad bigger.)

But still, I read everything I can when new ones come out. Since I pocket-carry, the smaller the better. Only way I'd replace the LC9 would be if someone came up with one substantially smaller but without breaking the bank. The LC9 was very reasonably proiced when I got mine. Hvae no idea where prices are today.
And their expensive too! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have carried a 709 for a few years and run cor bon powerball 100gr +p in it. They run great, i do not have a cronograph and am curious as to the velosity they generate out or a 3in gun. Anyone have data on the powerball rounds out or a 709 or similar gun?

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I have the article here at home. You'll note which gun the author carries on his person. The 709.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the article here at home. You'll note which gun the author carries on his person. The 709.
Well it makes sense to carry the 709 over the Kimber for several reasons as I know you know. The 709 is more affordable for most folks, approximately, half the cost of a Kimber Solo. The 709 carries more rounds, and at typical self-defense scenarios the difference in accuracy is not likely to be as large as at the target test range of 50 feet.

If money is no object and the additional rounds are not important, then the Kimber makes sense.

Too bad the PT111 wasn't evaluated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts