Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
8,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been drooling over M1 carbines for several years, but never came across one I could afford. I was focusing on IBM branded , but at a min of $1400 just not for me at this point. Was visiting my fav LGS Monday to pick up some 2400 magnum powder, and there it was.
P1030935bb.jpg

This is a Plainfield Machine Company M1 made around 1966-67. From what I have read Plainfield rifles are above average for commercial M1's. They made their own receiver and used USGI parts to finish the build. So all parts are interchangeable with GI carbines. This one was part of the KCPD arsenal in the early 70's according the previous owner. A crusty old fart just like me, he had to sell as he was going into assisted living. He used as a Deer rifle and had a huge 3X9X42mm scope on it. Man your cheek weld is on top of the butt pad.
P1030939bb.jpg

I have done a complete tear down/clean/lube and put my TRS25 on it for now.

P1030938bb.jpg

This carbine had leading in the barrel, otherwise still shiny and good lands/grooves. The gas piston was stuck, just took cleaning around the bottom of the gas piston housing, then a few taps on the housing with a mallet got it moving, followed that up with spray cleaners and compressed air. Now the piston is perfect. Bolt was a dirty mess, but all cleaned up nicely.

Plan on installing rear sight a little later. So I have become a SARCO customer and have ordered some springs/plungers etc..The next time I tear down the bolt, will put in new springs,,oh it is sooo much fun putting that extractor back in. Also ordered two KCI 15 round mags from gunmag warehouse. Anyway I am asking this community for any tips etc..I have also ordered a few hundred rounds of Korean surplus Circa early 90's manuf ammo, to start with. Any recommendations on a good soft point ammo choice. Lucky gunner seems to like Sellier and Bellot 110 grn SP for hunting/defense ammo. My cost for this beauty was $600 + tax.

·
Super Moderator
35,518 Posts
I am SO envious...I've also been wanting an M1 for a long time. The carbines seem harder to find and are more expensive also.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Looks like it's in much better shape than my Rock-Ola Korean reimport or the piece of crap Universal I 'inherited ' from a ex-bother in law(the missing 'r' is NOT a typo).

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Looks like it's in much better shape than my Rock-Ola Korean reimport or the piece of crap Universal I 'inherited ' from a ex-bother in law(the missing 'r' is NOT a typo).

The Universal carbine had very few parts that were interchangeable with a real M1 carbine. The one I had, the operating rod broke.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am SO envious...I've also been wanting an M1 for a long time. The carbines seem harder to find and are more expensive also.
You might want to check out the CMP Forum Want To Sell section. Although the CMP inventory is gone, I see several For Sale each week from forum members. Another potential source is Empire Arms. He publishes a newsletter about once per week and he specializes in military collectables. HTH.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Congratulations that gun has been on me and my father's bucket list for a long time. The prices are just to high!!! They have several from World War II era that have prices in the $2000 + range. Which is way to high for us.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
I would love to find a LeMag conversion of a M-1 Carbine, too.

Come to find out, Legrande even converted one to shoot .50AE.

THAT cold be fun!

·
21,931 Posts
A true classic; congratulations!

·
Registered
808 Posts
the carbines certainly seem to have increased in price even more than garands. maybe because people can still find room in teir safes for 1 or 2 😁. there are still some coming in thru royal tiger imports(?). too bad CMP can't get a huge number like the garands.

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Sweet deal!!!:cool: Congratualtions on your new-to-you PMC M1 Carbine and may it serve you well! :smile: Enjoy! :smile:

Had a four year run with an M1 Garand and had thought about adding an M1 Carbine, but opted for a couple of Ruger Mini-14's instead, as ammunition was easier to come by.
Wound up selling off the M1 Garand to fund my L1A1 FN FAL project. Magazines for M1 Carbines can be a feed reliablilty issue and when you find some that work, stick with them.

Here is an article on reloading the .30 M1 Carbine that you may find useful: https://loaddata.com/Article/LoadDevelopment/Loads-for-the-30-Carbine/503
I recommend Hodgdon H110 Powder, but you can use Alliant 2400 in a pinch.

·
Super Moderator
34,943 Posts
I'd love to have a real M1 Carbine. The one I have is fake, but at least I have plenty of .22LR to feed it. :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have a few 15 round mags I had picked out of the cmp south store. I got rid of my carbine. I have two sks 30 round mags I don't need.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Not to hijack, but a memory kindled ......... In the early 60's my dad rented a shop from his friend. The shop was basically a garage behind his friends full service 'gun shop'. His friend was also a deputy sheriff, and how he had time for both is beyond me, but at 12 years old I didn't care. (I guess with 6 kids, and one bread winner, he had no choice.)

What was wonderful was that when hanging with my dad while he painted signs, I could go hang out in the one man gun shop. WWII surplus M-1 carbines, Garand's, K98's, Jap 8mm's, etc. ,,,,,,,, and the constant oder of gun oil in the air. It was 'fabulous'.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
You might enjoy this related M1 Carbine Video Review:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts