Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,741 Posts
Get your hands on one and see if you like the feel. If so then their is nothing wrong with the 740. I shot the 709 and it shot great, I just did not like the way it felt in my hands so I never pursued getting one. My understanding is the 709 and 740 are the same size. Also rumor has it the line has been discontinued. I guess an online chat with Taurus could possibly resolve that rumor.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
Its a great little weapon in my opinion. Snappy, but then she is a small sub compact 40. Mine is accurate and very easy to carry, good trigger, reliable, I would highly recommend the 740! She gets carried alot in the summer.

·
23,831 Posts
I got mine when I realized how easy it is to ND a poly pistol that doesn't have a thumb safety. You will find it easier to conceal than anything with a double-stack magazine. I've carried mine OWB under a loose t-shirt. Mine has been completely reliable, and very accurate for it's size. It does kick though. A Pearce grip extension completely transforms the gun in terms of shootability. All of my PT740 magazines have them, and it really doesn't make it much more difficult to conceal. Mine is one of my most-carried pistols.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
While I believe Taurus screwed you on the exchange to a lesser pistol, it was a good exchange in that the PT740 is a sweet gun. Mine has been by EDC continuously for two years - before I used to rotate thru PT111 or PT140 or PT709 or PT740 for EDC every few months. I was able to pick up a few Taurus 740 extended mags (8 rd.) and since then 740 has been EDC. It's not a pistol you want to fire 100 rounds thru at the range as it will beat the crap out of your hand - I now do 30-50 rds. max. She is a feisty little lady. As I've posted before, I shoot my 740 better than my PT111/PT140/PT709 I believe mainly because I'm holding on for dear life with the grip of death. LOL She is a great CC / SD pistol. I carry OWB in belt holster under untucked shirt. I quit all IWB. On occasion I will swap for my PT100 for large venues, malls, parks, etal. Even though Taurus has discontinued, I'd buy another if I ran across a good deal on one.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wino...There is a minty PT100 safe queen on GB with no bids starting out @ $289. My gun budget is broke!

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Wino...There is a minty PT100 safe queen on GB with no bids starting out @ $289. My gun budget is broke!
Thanks, but I already have two - and one has never been fired - NIB - a virgin Safe Queen!! LOL

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
346 Posts
I sent my PT 24/7 OSS in .45 in and she ain't coming home; please sell me on the PT740...
If Taurus is sending you a PT740 Slim as a replacement for your PT 24/7 OSS, I guess I'd have to agree with anyone that might suggest it's a bit of a downgrade. I'm not so sure that you're getting a bad deal tho. I've had my PT740 for about 4 1/2 years now. To be completely honest, it has been a bit of a safe queen until just recently. My go to vehicle gun has been a Kel-Tec PF-9 but it's "on vacation" in Florida RE: a bowed slide. I'm going to be hesitant to call it my "go to" vehicle gun until I'm sure that it's 100% reliable. The PT740 may take over that position permanently. The PT740 is only slightly larger than the PF-9. It still carries nicely in either IWB or OWB holsters. It has a single stack mag and only holds 6 rounds. That's clearly a step back from the 12 round mags of the 24/7. The PT740 is about 3/4 lb lighter tho and considerably smaller. In my mind a more appropriate CC firearm.
I don't know about the rumor that the Slim series is being discontinued. The TaurusUSA website still lists it (as well as its 9mm brother the PT709) but it is absent from the 2018 Taurus Catalog. I guess that says something.
I'm pleased with my PT740 Slim, I'm VERY pleased that it wasn't involved with the "settlement issue". I can live with it being discontinued as long as the warranty is still available. I would be nice if Taurus would consider making parts more readily available for their discontinued models. But I digress. I, like many, think that the PT740 is a solid firearm that performs well. If that's what Taurus is sending you, I guess that's that! If you don't like it, sell it, I'm sure there's a buyer ready to snap it up.
Flex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.