Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting this gun so need peoples help to decide.

Please rate this gun 1-5 (5 being the highest) in the following areas:

-Reliability:
-Trigger:
-Ergonomics:
-Accuracy:
-Conceal-ability:

Please feel free to add in whatever you feel is pertinent about this gun.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have not handled the compact however this is how I rate the 24/7 G2 40 full size: Hope this helps

Reliability - 5
Trigger - 4 it is long and takes some getting used to but I have adjusted to it.
Ergonomics - 4
Accuracy - 5
Concealability - 4 ( I use a Tommy Theis IWB) the compact should be a 5 on this scale.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most of the posts I have seen are favorable, and I certainly like mine. However, I am having problems with the 10 round mag causing feed or ejection issues. So, I would only go 4 on reliability, but 5 on all others.
However, DO NOT even ask Zylo-X about his, which has now gone back to Taurus THREE times, for uncontrollable switching from SA mode to DA mode. His is "possessed".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a PT24/7 G2 .40 Compact.
To be honest, I was a little reluctant to buy a Taurus because I had read endless lists of bad reviews
about the quality and reliability of Taurus firearms ..... but ultimately I figured that they cant all be bad
and a lot of people here in this forum seems to love them. I took a chance and bought the G2 compact
because it looked like a nice gun and had some nice features that I liked, also it was the most recent model
which was said to be the most advanced version of the 24/7.

I posted a detailed review on this forum ..I think it's on page four right now !!!
Unfortunately my first Taurus experience was not a good one .... to learn the full story you should probably
read my first post '
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/61364-taurus-24-7-g2-40cal-compact-problems.html

Reliability: 1 (Mine has multiple types of malfunctions at least 1 or 2 for every mag of ammo fired.....will send gun back to Taurus)
-Trigger: 1 (probably the worst I've ever felt)
-Ergonomics: 3 (not bad but depends on shooter's personal preference)
-Accuracy: 3 (could be better if trigger was not so Bad)
-Conceal-ability: 4 (nice size and weight considering 11 rounds of .40 cal)

I would recommend trying one out at a local range if you can find one to rent before
purchasing.
P.S. I have heard that the 9mm version has a much better trigger but have not shot one.

Regards,
Gordon.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
First of all, Welcome aboard, and Greetings from DFW, Tx! Especially glad to have another G2 owner (or soon to be) around here.

Most of the posts I have seen are favorable, and I certainly like mine. However, I am having problems with the 10 round mag causing feed or ejection issues. So, I would only go 4 on reliability, but 5 on all others.
However, DO NOT even ask Zylo-X about his, which has now gone back to Taurus THREE times, for uncontrollable switching from SA mode to DA mode. His is "possessed".
Well, since you mentioned it ... After completing the 3rd Miami vacation, I was at the range today. I'll be back on the phone Monday to make reservations for a FOURTH trip to Miami. :mad: In an attempt to be objective, I'll say that I still see a lot of positive, but apparently I'm just 'lucky' (except for tonight's PowerBall :( lol). The main points I was looking at compared to my current carry (Ruger SR9C), they are practically the same size, and capacity but caliber moves up from 9mm to .45ACP, and the G2 is full ambi. Using your criteria:

-Reliability: still TBD. NO COMMENT at this time.
-Trigger: at least a 4. So far it continues to smooth and feel better.
-Ergonomics: 5. Full ambi.
-Accuracy: at least a 4. Better than my eyes so far.
-Conceal-ability: 4.9 ( to get a 5 it would have to fit in a pocket, but then it would have to be a .380 instead of a .45 LOL)

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/60506-24-7-g2bc-45-trigger-reset-sa-da.html

You can read all the story for yourself at the above link, but I still like the model, just not this gun. All things considered, I was thinking about getting the full sized, and still might. Hope that helps. Happy Shootin', and Be Safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, Welcome aboard, and Greetings from DFW, Tx! Especially glad to have another G2 owner (or soon to be) around here.

Well, since you mentioned it ... After completing the 3rd Miami vacation, I was at the range today. I'll be back on the phone Monday to make reservations for a FOURTH trip to Miami. :mad: In an attempt to be objective, I'll say that I still see a lot of positive, but apparently I'm just 'lucky' (except for tonight's PowerBall :( lol). The main points I was looking at compared to my current carry (Ruger SR9C), they are practically the same size, and capacity but caliber moves up from 9mm to .45ACP, and the G2 is full ambi. Using your criteria:

-Reliability: still TBD. NO COMMENT at this time.
-Trigger: at least a 4. So far it continues to smooth and feel better.
-Ergonomics: 5. Full ambi.
-Accuracy: at least a 4. Better than my eyes so far.
-Conceal-ability: 4.9 ( to get a 5 it would have to fit in a pocket, but then it would have to be a .380 instead of a .45 LOL)

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/24-7-series/60506-24-7-g2bc-45-trigger-reset-sa-da.html

You can read all the story for yourself at the above link, but I still like the model, just not this gun. All things considered, I was thinking about getting the full sized, and still might. Hope that helps. Happy Shootin', and Be Safe.
Thanks. I did read your previous post. Seems like with this Taurus (like most) there is no middle ground. It either works or it don't. I think I'll wait a little before I add it to the collection. It "looks" like a good design, but they still might have to work out a few bugs.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Any of the 24/7s is a good choice. The G2 is the only ambi model if your left-handed. I had just bought my full-size 24/7 when they began bragging about the g2. I decided I already had a good gun. I did buy a compact model recently and it's working very well, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't had the chance to try out the Compact but I do have the G2 45 Standard:

Reliability: 5 - never had FTF/FTE but only had around 200 through it, but let's see after a few hundreds more.
Trigger: 3 - it is extremely long for me and takes some getting used to.
Ergonomics: 4 - fits well but could be a wee bit better.
Accuracy: 5 - accurate right out of the box, way accurate than the one holding the gun. :D
Concealability: 4 - for the Standard, so I guess the Compact should be a 5 on this scale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 400 rounds through my new G2 Compact .45 and I haven't had a significant problem. One friend had several misfeeds in a row but we tracked it down to him flinching since he's never fired a compact .45 before. It fires like a dream for me. I am looking to replace the sights. It seems to be purpose built to set the target above the front post and I'm so used to the dead on aim of my 99 that I'm shooting consistently high. Anyone with sight recommendations?

Reliability 5 (so far just breaking it in)
Trigger 3-4 (was very rough at first but it's getting smoother by the shot)
Ergonomics 4 (its not as nice as the CZ75 I shot this week but it's a perfect fit for my hand)
Accuracy 5 (despite the sights being weird I shot consistent 3" groups from 15yds)
Concealability 5 (for a .45 it sits in the same spot I used to carry my Kel Tec P11 and I hardly notice)

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I have the 24/7 Pro 45 C DS before the G2 came out and never had a problem with it. In fact when I took my class I let one of the instructors take it for a test drive along with my PT 1911 He was really impressed the other instructor was not a Taurus fan and I offered a shoot off with him and his wonder Colt and after seeing his buddy shoot my gun he declined. I love a cave in rather then get blown out and have to take the ribbing. He still had to take it from the guy that shot it about how Taurus was junk.

I got a lot of much need pats on the back from his cronies. That day. :) Taurus rocks!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
-Reliability:5 No issues. Had one FTE after further investigation the brass was the issue. It had a bad edge. Ejector did not grip it good.
-Trigger:4 Will take some getting used to. But love the SA after each shot unlike some of the others DA I have shot.
-Ergonomics:4 Wish they had some rubber on the grips.
-Accuracy:4 I think its me or the cheap WWB ammo. Going to get some different ammo and try some reloads next time.
-Conceal-ability:5 I have been carrying a Ruger P89 so this is defintely nicer to carry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 24/7 g2 compact 45 only has 250 rounds through it so far but at this point I am very disappointed!

-Reliability:2, Multiple FTF with both mags 10 and 12. I noticed the 10 round mag follower gets stuck when mag is being loaded.
-Trigger:1, I don't think the trigger could be worse if it tried.
-Ergonomics:5, The gun is well balanced loaded with either mag and the grip is comfortable my hands.
-Accuracy:4, With the rear site adjusted properly it preformed well when it actually performed.
-Conceal-ability:5 It compact size makes it ideal for concealment.

I really want to love this gun as much as I expected but right I just don't. It may be going back to Taurus if snap caps and another couple hundred rounds of live ammo don't fix it first.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
My 24/7 g2 compact 45 only has 250 rounds through it so far but at this point I am very disappointed!

-Reliability:2, Multiple FTF with both mags 10 and 12. I noticed the 10 round mag follower gets stuck when mag is being loaded.
-Ergonomics:5, The gun is well balanced loaded with either mag and the grip is comfortable my hands.
-Accuracy:4, With the rear site adjusted properly it preformed well when it actually performed.

I really want to love this gun as much as I expected but right I just don't. It may be going back to Taurus if snap caps and another couple hundred rounds of live ammo don't fix it first.

Hopefully I can lend some reassurance. Few here or elsewhere have had the issues I've had with TWO G2C-45's, so far, but I still see a lot of upside with the gun. While extra magazines are scarce right now, it sounds like they could use a good clean and lube. On one of mine the spring seemed to catch in one of the cut outs in the mag wall, and not keep pressure on the follower. As this happened at the range and I couldn't disassemble the mag there, I just sprayed some Rem Oil in and worked the spring a bit and all was fine. I'd suggest to disassemble the mags, clean them out, and use a dry lube inside for the spring. So far as the trigger... It does get better with use and snap caps, but make sure you have all the shipping grease cleaned out. I use synthetic safe GunScrubber, and soak everything down, let it marinade, clean it, and spray some more. Its especially important to get into the firing pin channel. What you have described so far just sounds like typical 'break in' issues. After the initial struggle, I'm confident that you'll be very pleased. Good luck with that, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

I haven't had the chance to try out the Compact but I do have the G2 45 Standard:

Reliability: 5 - never had FTF/FTE but only had around 200 through it, but let's see after a few hundreds more.
Trigger: 3 - it is extremely long for me and takes some getting used to.
Ergonomics: 4 - fits well but could be a wee bit better.
Accuracy: 5 - accurate right out of the box, way accurate than the one holding the gun. :D
Concealability: 4 - for the Standard, so I guess the Compact should be a 5 on this scale.
I would have to agree with your assessment. I too have the full size and like it a lot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the g2c is a great gun for concealment. i myself carry it for that purpose. the 12 round mag its more noticeable. but go to theis for concealment holsters they are dedicated to make any holster for any gun. and you will notice that there are not many holsters for the g2c. trigger is good but having some issues with my going into double action and not firing but taking it to my lgs to see whats the problem. as far as accuracy it on point at 20 to 30 yards for me its dead on.im a bigger guy but the accuracy is good for a 45 thats all i shot other may differ.the handle is great i feel like its got the houge grip on it, but it doesnt.as far as reliability still trying to work out bugs.

one more thing when you order parts make sure that you point out that its for the "g2c", as far as parts they will be hard to find for know as everyone can tell you theres a list a waiting list that is.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Loving mine....except for the trigger. I have the compact .45. It's really accurate but I'm not yet used to the trigger so I'm hitting all over the place. I don't use a holster for carrying....just stick
it in my belt in front of my right pocket and throw a shirt over it and *voila'* it disappears. It's really well-balanced (as one other guy noted earlier) and the 12-round mag is great for range shooting. In fact, when they're available I'll be ordering 2 more 12-round mags for range sessions and backup.

TAURIAN- Just noticed you have an XD9C - How do you compare the G2C trigger to the XD9's?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Loving mine....except for the trigger. I have the compact .45. It's really accurate but I'm not yet used to the trigger so I'm hitting all over the place. I don't use a holster for carrying....just stick it in my belt in front of my right pocket and throw a shirt over it and *voila'* it disappears. It's really well-balanced (as one other guy noted earlier) and the 12-round mag is great for range shooting. In fact, when they're available I'll be ordering 2 more 12-round mags for range sessions and backup.

TAURIAN- Just noticed you have an XD9C - How do you compare the G2C trigger to the XD9's?
I pray you have great health/life/liability insurance!

·
Registered
67 Posts
so i got mine back and to say after some minor time at my lgs its working and kicking fine and accuracy is so on point with the 45 acp. and it cost me around 80 bucks to get it fixed instead of waitng for a month or longer, as for the mags im still on back order after two weeks. but like zylo-x said'' it hurts to be on the cutting edge'' but in the end its ambi and im a lefty cant go wrong with that

1 - 20 of 26 Posts