Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my first firearm last week. proud to say its a pt 1911 ar. probably wont even put an accessory on the rail but i felt as if the extra tiny bit of weight in the front would help with the way the beauty handled, after a proper field strip, cleaning and relube ofcourse.
first and foremost,,,,,,,,,, i love this gun. i have been in the market for a 1911 for a while and felt the pt was the best bang for the buck, well, my buck anyway. sure you can find a used springfield for about the same price, but i wanted to be the first owner of my first gun.
second, i took it to the range the first day i had it and brought with me 100 rounds (winchester 230 gr.). the magazines felt very tight when loaded with 8 rnds ( had to really slam them in there) and had trouble dropping the mag when full. maybe just because gun needs to be broken in. after about 85 rnds without and issue, there was a failure to feed. i racked the slide and it chambered without an issue, fired two more rnds, same, ftf. the first ftf was while my girl was shooting. could it be caused by limpwristed shooting i thought, but the second was while i was shooting ( definitely not limp wristed). could this be an issue resolved by breaking in the gun, say after 500-700 rounds fired? if this becomes a recurring issue, what could be the problem? feed ramp? magazine? ammunition? if so, how could i fix? im really against getting something fixed by someone id have to send it to, id rather pay a smith i know and trust, so sending it away is not an option, unless i had a lemon and had to get it replaced
third, what is a good amount of break in time ( rounds) that should be allowed before deciding wether or not i have a real problem?
and last,,, does anyone have any suggestions on what the best ammunition is for target shooting? my girl bought me the winchester. and i really dont know enough about ammunition to form an opinion on how it performed, but i guess it wasnt too bad. she wasnt terribly dirty after 100 rnds, and there were no duds. but a good freind of mine shoots weekly and while he does not shoot a taurus or a 1911 , it is a .45, and he suggested using remington umc. any suggestions?
any help you guys ( and ladies, if applicable) are willing to dish out would be GREATLY appreciated. one more thing,,, is it normal to name my 1911 and get stupid excited when i get home just to pull it out and clean it? will this pass? GOD BLESS AMERICA, AND ITS PROUD GUN OWNERS. WERE THE LAST LINE OF DEFENSE FOR THE HIPPIES WHEN THIS GOVERNMENT FINISHES TURNING ON US, AND BECOMES A DICTATORSHIP. :guns:

·
Registered
20 Posts
if im not mistaken the feed problem your describing is called "dipping" its when a fully loaded new mag is inserted into the firearm. and when racked the 1 frist round chambers but in the process the second round doesnt load i nthe clip properly and the next time the firearm is fired it miss feeds. this is caused by a few things. new mag springs, certian ammo brands, un-oiled firearms.

try these easy steps.
#1. make sure the clip has been oiled.( people tend to oil the firearm but not the mags)
#2. try a diffrent ammo brand.
#3. try loading insted of 8 rounds load 7 until the mag is broken in
#4. store your mags loaded to help the springs get broken in.

as for ammo. i use federal its alot cheaper for just target shooting

and i have to at least check on my 1911 daily to make sure shes ok. i clean and oil her every time she is fired.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
congrats on the PT1911 :) I'll second that, also I run chip mccormick mags in both my PT1911s and they work great, might try them out. 1911s can be abit fussy about mags sometimes :)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
^^^^^^ What scrabtree said. Get some Chip McCormick power mags. Don't fully load the Taurus mags fully for a while and don't leave them loaded. They Taurus mags are the weak link of the gun. They can expand if left loaded. The CM power mags are fine to leave loaded.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If you're comfortable with a detailed strip of the slide I'd pull the firing pin and extractor and get the factory gunk out of those areas. I had similar issues with my new PT1911 (nose dives mainly with JHP) and since I did the detailed strip it has worked flawlessly with any mag I put in it even one (Kimber Pro mag) that wouldn't feed anything.

It is not that hard but if you're not comfortable doing this, a gun smith, or like myself who believes (insanely at times) that no man made item will defeat me you might want to have a pro do this for you.

I see this is yur first post, so Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Firts off welcome to the forum, and as you are on a public forum that many visit understand that there is a variety of info that you may recieve.
Let me say that in my case I have 3 Taurus , a Colt, a Para USA, a Para ordinance 45 ACP 1911's.
Guess what , all my magazines are piled up together and when i get ready to go shoot i grab the 2-3 that are on top and off we go.
They all work in any of my 1911's, I also have a couple three wilson mags mixed in.
some are 7 rounders, some 8 rounders, some are blue, some stainless, some nickle.
So there is nothing wrong with Taurus magazines in general.
I would suggest first to disassemble the magazines, clean them (do not oil or grease them!) check them for flashing (overmold) on the followers, and metal burrs, shavings from the metal.
Understand that more than likley simple use of the magazines and gun after this will show improvement in the function of both.
I find that the Taurus magazines are pretty well made and finished on my weapons, but i always clean and inspect them for problems while i am doing the initial cleanup of the gun.
IF I needed more 1911 magazines would i buy Taurus brand?-NO!
but only because of the cost, not the quality.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 on the Chip McCormick Power Mags

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thaks for the write up about the 1911, I am sure to take note of this issue when I will bring my brand new 1911 AR to the range for a break-in session. I have acquire my new TAURUS PT 1911 AR 45ACP few weeks back but have not found the time to visit the range. I am not yet comfortable stripping the firing pin area so i have to leave this for later. Cleaned the gun and oiled in preparation for the range time. I am sure to post the result.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Congrats on your 1911 I have 2 pt1911's and they are great guns once you break them in. First load up your mags and put them away for a week or two to break in that spring, second when your at the range try and load 7 instead of 8 until the mags break in after that they are great I have 4 taurus mags and theyre pretty much all I use. As for the ammo every gun is different but tI have good luck with the 230grain federal american eagle and its pretty cheap as far as .45 goes. Also my 1911's didnt really need a break in except for hp ammo and Id give it about 500 rounds before I even started to get worried about it, its a damn fine weapon and your right its probably the best bang for your buck if you still have feed problems try and tweek the mags or like someone else said get some chip mccormicks or some wilson mags and have fun. Mine are both at around 2-3000 trouble free rounds,good luck! DSCF3365.JPG

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
try these easy steps.
#1. make sure the clip has been oiled.( people tend to oil the firearm but not the mags)
#2. try a diffrent ammo brand.
#3. try loading insted of 8 rounds load 7 until the mag is broken in
#4. store your mags loaded to help the springs get broken in.

i clean and oil her every time she is fired.
I'd recommend trying step 1-4 above -- good suggestions.

Also, we are pleased to welcome you to the number one handgun forum on the Internet!

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
Take apart the mags they have a film in them that needs cleaning out I used Polymer safe Gunscubber. Then check the followers as they sometimes have burs. A light sanding will take care of that. +1 on Chip McCormick mags and Novak mags are identical to Taurus mags except much better springs. Wolf sells 3 packs of springs from Midway that work better also. If that does not work do as stated above and take apart the slide and clean throughly. Try taking the slid off and see if it will hold a cartridge in place by sliding it under the extractor if it does then your extractor is probably not the problem. But could still require cleaning. I'd go with the 7 round routine until you have more rounds through your gun Mine did the same thing and these are the steps I took to take care of the problem. Start simple then work your way up.

Welcome and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts