Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I do not intend this to be a ‘religious’ thread, it is some what ‘spiritual’ in nature. By whatever name you want to call it, I believe there is something ‘After’. I have experienced several incidents like this, but I’d like to share this most recent.

First a little history... Way back when, in that awkward time between rotary dial phones, and flat rate $40 per month talk, text and web cell phone plans, I was chained to a pager. My wife and I would trade little numeric cryptograms back and forth to be deciphered into text messages. Knowing that we had hectic schedules, and were often separated by several time zones, our shorthand message to just say that we were in each others thoughts was “111”, and usually sent at eleven minutes after one i.e. 1:11. On those rare days when we were actually together at that time of day, we would take a moment to kiss and say “I love you”. Debbie had been in San Diego for about 2 months taking care of the preemie-newborn twin grand babies, and our last conversation was on the evening of April 7[SUP]th[/SUP]. We had a ‘normal’ conversation about the day’s events, our taxes, etc. then said “Good Night” and hung up as she was very tired and not feeling well. Later that night, she was rushed to the ER, and collapsed due to a massive brain aneurysm. After donating some organs and tissue, she was removed from life support on April 9[SUP]th[/SUP] 2011. Debbie was 53.

Very early this morning, I was awakened by that nauseous feeling of impending doom. I did not look at the clock, and tried to keep my eyes closed and pretend it was just a bad dream. After several agonizing minutes, I figured the ham salad sandwich must have been a bad idea. Finally knowing what was next to come, in the darkness, I blindly tried to rush to the bathroom without tripping over the dog. I had a seat on the commode, put the waste basket between my knees, and waited. After the eruption, I cleaned up and brushed my teeth again, then headed to the kitchen for some water. All the while, I tried to keep my eyes closed and convince myself that I still had many hours to get some sleep before having to go to work. As the cool water slid down my burning throat and settled my churning stomach, I looked at the clock on the stove. I smiled, whispered “I love you too”, and felt better as I headed back to bed. The time was 1:11am.

I'm sure there are 1000's of such stories amongst the members here, but I think its important to have a reminder, from time to time, that we should never take anything for granted. Thank you all for letting me share.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Good story and I'm glad you felt like sharing it with friends.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I am deeply and profoundly touched by the beauty of your story; and appreciate very much your taking the time to share this unusual experience with us.

I've been married for 46 years. I can't imagine what it is like to be in your situation.

May the Lord be a continual comfort and strength to you.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Very powerful story, thank you so very much for sharing.

I've learned to follow my "gut feelings" it's served me well as both an early warning and as an indicator to impending heartbreak. I'm very sorry for your loss but I thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
So sorry for your loss.
Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
May God bless you and thank you so much for sharing your story. My sister was always called a "pepper" as in Dr. Pepper. Once or twice a week, she would call me at work ... and always at 10:24. The Dr. Pepper label has 10, 2, and 4, the perfect times for a "Pepper". True to her nickname, she died on 10-24-2002 at 51 years old of complications from a brain tumor.
Those special numbers linger ... a sad but poignant reminder. 111 is stuck in my head.

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The world is full of such reminders if only we would take the time to notice them!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only referred to this thread as ‘spiritual’ so as to not run afoul of the board rules. I do try to be a religious person, but lately, I've been angry, and not as ‘disciplined’ as one might expect from the Italian, Catholic, former alter boy, son of a Korean War Vet named Santo. I hoped that I might reach just one person so as to remind them of the ‘big picture’ importance of any given moment in time, but this has been a very cathartic experience for me. Outside of those immediately around me with a ‘need to know’, I have not spoken about any of this before now. I deeply appreciate your kind support. Thank You All, and please remember to cherish every moment you can. Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts