Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not familiar with Taurus revolvers so am not sure about model numbers, etc. I would like a full size 4 inch heavier revolver in either .38 special or .357. I like the weight and feel of the Smith and Wesson 686 which I am familiar with but the price tag is out of my budget range

Any advice is most appreciated.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I kinda figure if you're going with a full-size revolver, might as well make it a .357 magnum.

However, a nice Taurus model 82 will save you some money and be a great, sturdy, all-around choice.

Either way it's hard to lose, unless you're absolutely determined that the punch of a .357 is what you need.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Look at my M66 357 in my signature. Will also shoot 38 special and is 4in. It is a tack driver, very accurate. I think it weighs 38 oz. I gave 400 for it it is a 2011 model. It was used and had only been shot like 5 or 6 shots. They had a brand new one for 497. This one wasnt even stained from being shot. It is now lol...

Reactions: ncfarmer and darbo

·
Registered
18,383 Posts
Look at my M66 357 in my signature. Will also shoot 38 special and is 4in. It is a tack driver, very accurate. I think it weighs 38 oz. I gave 400 for it it is a 2011 model. It was used and had only been shot like 5 or 6 shots. They had a brand new one for 497. This one wasnt even stained from being shot. It is now lol...
This^^^^^^^^

IF I had the money it would be spent on a model 66 SS, 4".

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
Recently, I acquired this new Taurus M66 blued .357 Mag (4 inch barrel) revolver on a trade and, as WJB1260 stated, it will also fire .38 Special ammo.

I am absolutely elated to own this very fine revolver!

So...bottom line is: I highly recommend that you check this model out before making a final decision.

Attachments

·
33,639 Posts
Okay. First some questions.

What is the gun to be used for? Out in the field, home defense, fun gun,CCW carry, and so on?

The reasoning for the questions is that there are a lot of factors that go into this. Granted, you are asking about .357 magnum/.38Special guns, but getting one that fits the user is the most important aspect for us.

For general purpose and self defense the .38 Special is a good choice. The .38 Special has been getting the job done for many decades now. It is a versatile cartridge and user friendly. For that there are some recommendations that can be made.

The Taurus model 82 is the only .38 Special,4" revolver left in the Taurus lineup.

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/2013_taurus_catalog.pdf If you follow this link you can download it as well.

Page 14 has some of the stats on the model 82 which is a .38 Special revolver only. And a great one at that. I have the 82 in stainless but that is not an item on Taurus' list anymore as far as the stainless steel version goes. This is a fixed sighted gun. It is +P qualified. 82s are the genreral workhorses for those who need a solid firearm. Mine has been such a one.

Need something a bit less in price? Then the Rossi 851 gets the nod.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/rossi-revolvers/6612-rossi-851-vs-taurus-82-a.html
Rossi USA

Next up are the .357 magnum models.Page 15 in the Taurus 2013 catalog.

The models 65 and 66. The 65 has fixed sights and the 66 has adjustable ones. I've got 1 of the 65 and one that is a 66. Both were made in the middle 1980s and are going strong. The 65 holds 6 shots and the new model 66 holds 7 shots. I have a newer 66 as well.

Speedloaders that fit are made by several companies for all needs.

Should you want something ported then the model 627 on page 12 of the 2013 catalog can fill the bill. There are pros and cons to the porting. I am not one of those who likes porting due to increased sound of muzzle blast indoors. For you it might not be a factor.

Page 18 has the model 608 which holds 8 rounds of .357 magnum, is a heavy gun, and is ported, and with adjustable sights.

The medium framed revolvers at Taurus International Manufacturing Inc will give you an idea and all the data you might need to help make a decision.

That and data from the owners can be of help. That's obvious but needed stating.

The Rossi series of revolvers in .357 magnum work well and should be considered though they are "older" technology with a hammer block rather than a transfer bar system that all Taurus revolvers come with. Rossis are a bargain that work well.
Rossi USA

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Gunshine State.
My vote is for a 357 magnum. In fact, within the Taurus line, there's the snubby model 605, good for carry or night stand, and a model 66 with 4 or 6 inch barrel (adjustable sight) for the range, trail, and home protection. If you really want a heavier Taurus than the m66 which is basically a K-frame, check the model 608. It can hold 8 rounds of your favorite load. They also come in a 4 inch or a 6 inch variation and would be closer to the S&W 686.
The .357 magnum platform is extremely versatile. It can be loaded from very light to rather heavy, with snake/rat shot, or 38 Specials for either fun or personal protection, or with 357 magnums for personal defence and hunting medium sized game and predators.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Yep. If you buy a 38 you are going to want ( or continue to wonder what it's like) to have a 357. I say go for the option rather than the limitation!!

Reactions: vonzipper

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I agree , go with a .357 that will shoot .38 SP . Gives you better choice on ammo also ! I have a 3" Rossi K frame so it's just right for carry and still shoots pretty good from what i understand . Just got it before Christmas so i haven't shot it yet . Fits good in the hand tho and it's not heavy .

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
This^^^^^^^^

IF I had the money it would be spent on a model 66 SS, 4".
Wow - nice pic indeed BUT shouldn't the flag be inside the walls of Fort Milpro!?!? ;)

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
The mode 82 and 65 are basically the same gun. I prefer the model 66 with adjustable sights, I have both a model 82 4" fixed sight pistol and a model 66 6" adj.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have an M66 stainless steel with 4" barrel. It is seven shot and mine is very accurate. Not at all sorry I purchased it. I very seldom shoot double action but wanted double action for quicker reloading with speed loaders. IMO it is a real good revolver!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.