Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using this pistol to play gunsmith, usually buying a part as I get the spare cash. After my A/C went out I've had to count pennies for parts. So far I modded the mags to hold 15 rounds. Changed the pistol from series 80 to a series 70 configuration. Installed an adjustable trigger and replaced the thumb safety. I put on a grip mounted scope/red dot mount that I picked up on Ebay for less than $10. I had to modify the grip panel on the right side to compensate for the grip mount. It still needs to be sanded and refinished. Since I torn down the frame, I refinished it with a black semi gloss engine block ceramic paint. I'll go to the range this weekend to test out the setup as is, but there are other things to be done. I plan on replacing the barrel and grip safety, and the grip scope mount needs to have a couple of holes drilled in it for the barrel takedown pin and screw.

Before;

After;

GSG 1911 22.jpg

GSG 1911-22.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Always fun to have an inexpensive pistol to mod. I've done a bunch to my GSG also and now it's almost as accurate as my Buck Mark. I haven't done anything to the mags yet but would like to increase the capacity. What did you do to load 15 in them?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
It looks very nice. Hope the optics mount doesn't interfere with extraction/ejection of the empty brass.

You can also just buy the parts to convert the mag capacity. I also installed an extended magwell with weighted magazine bumpers and it makes mag changes quicker when shooting plates and bowling pins.

Don

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks good. I got the Enhanced Recoil System from them. My wife has feeding problems when she shoots the gun. I'm hoping that will help. Interestingly it's the only hand gun she shoots that gives her trouble.

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had it to the range today. 100 rounds of Winchester Super X. There were 3 FTF and one round that wouldn't fire at all. Mags fed well except for the FTFs and I think that was the ammo itself that was the problem. Trigger is very crisp with no take up and ejection was no problem even with the grip mount. I have to further modify the mount so I can get to the barrel pin and screw for take down, and I've got an older optic I'll try mounting when I reassemble everything. It's fun to tinker when everything works, now if I can just figure out a way to see the target with my old eyes.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I bought one a couple of years ago. Its.my favorite pinker. Never occurred to me to modify it, it was perfect out of the box...now, you have me thinking. Dang...enablers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts