Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading for close to 30 years mostly 38-357mag and 44mag for cowboy action and hunting. I recently changed sports and now need to reload 9mm I have no experience with rimless, tapered cases but I figure if I watch overall length and crimp I should be fine. My main question is has anyone used plated bullets. In particular Berry MFG 115 round nose. Do you have any power recommendations. I have a good amount of old unique and Tite group. I plan to use Winchester primers. I will be using a Pair of 24-7/OSS DS.
Later
Sandcut

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have used Berrys and Rainiers plated bullets in different calibers and they seem ok. When looking for load data just be sure to use listings for lead bullets and not FMJ or JHP as these are really soft bullets.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
I have been reloading for close to 30 years mostly 38-357mag and 44mag for cowboy action and hunting. I recently changed sports and now need to reload 9mm I have no experience with rimless, tapered cases but I figure if I watch overall length and crimp I should be fine. My main question is has anyone used plated bullets. In particular Berry MFG 115 round nose. Do you have any power recommendations. I have a good amount of old unique and Tite group. I plan to use Winchester primers. I will be using a Pair of 24-7/OSS DS.
Later
Sandcut
I don't use Berrys but i do use Raniers copper plated projectiles.
I load in 380, 38 Spl, 9 MM, 38 Super & 45 ACP with them.
they work very well in my applications and no leading, fairly reasonable in price and accurate as i am.
You need to visit the Rainers/Berrys website for exact info but from memory basically you need to keep the projectiles under 1250 FPS, you need to load them at middle road for jacketed projectiles and work up from there, again staying under 1250 FPS, which shouldn't be to much problem with the 9 mm, i think my Rainers 115 grian RN/ or HP are about 1100 FPS.
while the core is a soft lead the copper plating makes it hard and so the reccomendation of the mid range FPS loading for jacketed projectiles of the same weight and profile.
this is for your consideration and i take no responsibilty for you using this but my OAL with the round nose 115 is 1.125 and 1.115 for the Hollow points.
unique and several other powders work well .
typically a loading of start at 4.5 grains, and a max of 5.1 grains using Unique, again load at your own risk.
I load at 4.9 in my pistols and it functions well in from 3 inch berretta to 5 inch taurus 99, I use CCI primers!
hope this helps you some.

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've been using 4.2 of Titegroup @ 1.130 with Xtreme plated 115gn bullets for about a year in my SR9c. No problems & it's not a heavy load! Cycles my action fine.

Reactions: lv2tinker

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use this load for IDPA. It's a soft shooting load plus it's well below MAX.
X-Treme Plated
124 gr
T-G
1034 fps

128 PF
1.125 coal
Good Soft Indoor Load.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ive been using Rainer Bullets for many years now & they are good pratice & a excellent hunting bullets as well i haven't got to try the Berry bullets yet i will though

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
I think there is little difference in Berrys or Raniers myself.
I use Raniers because i normally need something from Midway and they carry Raniers, a good bit of time they also have them on sale and so save a few bucks and then just add the weight onto the shipping fees for the other stuff.
cheaper that way than ordering just the projectiles by themself.
I actually looked at the berrys from thier website , but by the time i compared their direct prices with Midway price on Raniers I could buy and ship the Raniers cheaper then buying the Berrys direct??

·
Registered
810 Posts
Berry or Ranier plated and Win 231/HP-38 are all I ever use for the 4 calibers I reload. No negative issues to report.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i have used both berry's and ranier.i dont like berry's at all to much inconsistency with size and weight. i like ranier and use them all the time. they are accurate to.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Used 115 in 9mm before, Berrys plated. Nothing wrong with them. Work fine. Just don't have a load to give you as I forgot because I tried testing some and forgot to write it down.....Either way, You have to try the start load in your gun and work your way u slowly and see what works for your gun.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I run Xtreme plated with very good results. I load .45AP, .40 S&W, .38 and .357mag. I follow Xtremes suggestions and taper crimp in a seperate step. Unique in everthing but the mag loads and then use 2400.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use Extreme Bullets for all my plinking loads with HP-38 and Titegroup(38,357,9mm,40 s&w & 45acp)
i've used jacked load data for them when i couldn't find lead data for my powder
usually i stick with lead data though
Extreme recommends Speer loading data
try out TJ Conevera's any order over $45 ships free and fairly quick through USPS
X-Treme Bullets

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use HS-6 with 115 Gr. Berry's bullets. Powder is clean with little clean up after 100 rds shooting IDPA. I have probably shot well over 3000 rounds with Berry's bullets with no problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts