Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...posted about this in the (Factory Loads Section)...people looked , but no replies.....Could really use any info on this...read a post earlier on lead in Barrels...(so i know how to clean it out now.. Thanks....Jwc)...
How much does lead mess up a barrel...Got a chance to get alot of 357 ammo for a good price...But not sure i want to shoot alot of lead in my gun...and plastic casings...Who would have thunk that :-\...are those a problem...

Any info would greatly be appreceated

Thanks all ;)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't think that I have never heard of normal ammo with a plastic case. Can you tell us the brand or any other info on this?

As far as lead bullets, it depends on what speed they're pushed to. At lower velocities they are fine, at higher ones they start to leave lead behind. I don't recall where but its been discussed here, somewhere...

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool...thanks so much...i never heard of them also..i will find out the name if they are still there ...the guy is selling his shop....lots of ammo in there...this stuff is 9.00 a box ,no tax

·
Registered
846 Posts
Steelheart has it right it's the speed and the hardness of the lead. If I remember rite it's sbout 900fps above that you get problems, again it can vary with the alloy and hardness of the bullet. I used to reload lead and as along as I stayed around 900 to 950 I never had a problem.
As far as how it messes the barrel it fills your groves up and even with the better cleaners out today its work to properly clean it out, so I'd say be careful ask some questions. I would also like to know about these plastic cases?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never know now..dang store closed... :bang:....

maybe he will reopen....

it's the speed and the hardness of the lead........As far as lead bullets, it depends on what speed they're pushed to. At lower velocities they are fine, at higher ones they start to leave lead behind.

Thanks guys.. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.