Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a PT111G2 with the black finish frame and slide. I've shot it enough that I trust it and I carry it when I'm not pocket carrying. It is also a nightstand gun when not in "carry mode". I have an Olight Valkyrie 2 light for it that I use when it's on nightstand duty. I'm on the lookout for a holster that will play nice with the Olight but for right now the light comes off for carry. I really enjoy this little pistol, so much so that I want to customize it a bit. My plan is the pick up some new sights, an extended magazine or 2, and some spacers for the mags. That said I have some questions I hope you all can help with.

1. What are your experiences with the Lakeline sights and the Truglo sights? Since I have a weapon light and carry a flashlight in my EDC I don't really want tritium sights due to their cost. That said there are a number options: Fiber Optic front and rear, FO front and u-channel rear, tritium front and rear, and plain metal replacement sights.
  2. Is there a specific brand/maker of the extended magazine sleeves that you all recommend? I've read some here have modified grip sleeves meant for other pistols and there are a few ebay sellers of grip sleeves. Are any better/worse than others?
  3. Mec-gar Sig P226 18 round magazines seem like the least expensive reliable option for extended mags. Is this the case or am I missing another compatible make/model of magazines that are cheaper or easier to find?
  4. How much does the extended magazine+sleeve change the feel of the pistol? Is it easier to shoot, less felt recoil or flip, hurt reliability, etc?
  5. Is it nuts to put this much money into one of these guns? I got my pistol for $200 before tax, the upgrades will run me about $80 (~$25 magazine, ~$10 mag sleeve, ~$45 FO sights).
Thank you all for your input.
IMG_2289.jpg

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I don't know about lakeline sights, but I highly recommend their stainless steel recoil springs.
I had the plastic sleeve on the stock recoil spring break, and it jammed the gun.

·
22,309 Posts
I'd recommend anything Lakeline. They have an excellent reputation, for quality and customer service. You won't be disappointed.

As for question #5, I'd say go for it. Isn't the fact that the pistol has proven itself to you this well far more meaningful than the fact that you got a great deal on it? I've never understood the "it didn't cost much, but it's great, but I don't want to spend any more" idea. This is not an investment car or real estate. It's a tool. Find one you like a lot, and if you want to make it even more suited to your tastes and needs, do it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought lakeline's fiber optic front sight with the black rear sights. They answered all my questions. Never installed sights before, but it was easy. With their instructions. Really like em the flat black rear sight really makes the front sight easy to focus on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Would you rather take an inexpensive gun you like and improve it via enhancements or pay a lot for a gun and have to pay more to correct deficiencies?

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have one, shoot it a lot and trust it even more. I haven't modified it as it suits my needs as is.
I have the same experience. I learned a simple lesson many decades ago that applies to almost everything. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Putting money into your "GOOD" hobby/obsession is never a bad thing, I dress mine up as well I "get the are you not just wasting money?" I show em my target Quarter size hole at 30 yards and then look at their pimple faced Target and utter nice keep practicing......

·
Registered
487 Posts
I installed a FO sight I found mentioned in this forum. It worked for a while, but loosened up. I could never get it to stay put. Finally flew off at the range one day.

The FO sight was not specifically for the Taurus. Pretty sure it was a "universal" fit.

I installed the Lakeline night sights and it has been solid and accurate.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
No experience with the various sights.

Only problem is in the dark, when you probably can't see a target anyway, how do they help? Unless the target gives itself away somehow. And doesn't the weapon light pose it's own set of obstacles?

No offense intended at all just not really into weapon lights -- just personal opinion. Never been able to appreciate their function.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My experience is the pro mag or mecgar would work. There is a gent selling 3d printed sleeves on eBay that are nice. I bought one from him. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153117493048
I would seriously look at a trigger.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/233244897523
Gent on here makes them. I've bought 3. 2 for me and one for a buddy. I recommend this version for shooting comfort.

My sights have been fine but will probably go for the SS RSA.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts