Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking for a good safe to store the guns I buy and so far I have bought 1 gun and plan to buy 4 others this year, so I need the safe to hold at least 3 if not more, because I have a 12 yr-old sister in the house and nosy neighbors always dropping by. The ones I looked at were priced between $35-$99 and some had keypads with back up override key and some were biometric, all seem to battery powered or a/c adapter powered and only had enough room for 2 subcompact handguns and 2 mags. I cannot bolt it to the floor or in the wall because the landlord said it would violate the lease. So any suggestions on what I should get?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Think ahead and start saving. I know that's not what you want to hear, but for now a small document safe. One can find them at Lowes and Home Depot. That would be a start. Also keep in mind that something that small will walk away during a home burglary too.

If you do plan on adding to your collection, you might want to look at a Sentry Safe later on. I see them between $500 - $700, 45min of fire and can be bolted to any floor later on. 400lbs empty.

And I have already outgrown this one and will probably get another one.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Bolt it to a shelf in a closet right against the wall ... It will look better than it is and the holes will be easy to fill.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Think ahead and start saving. I know that's not what you want to hear, but for now a small document safe. One can find them at Lowes and Home Depot. That would be a start. Also keep in mind that something that small will walk away during a home burglary too.

If you do plan on adding to your collection, you might want to look at a Sentry Safe later on. I see them between $500 - $700, 45min of fire and can be bolted to any floor later on. 400lbs empty.

And I have already outgrown this one and will probably get another one.

I think this falls under the category of things that I wouldnt post on the internet...

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my bedroom is only 10' long by 8' wide and my closet is only 6' wide and 2 1/2' deep so a floor safe might be hard to fit, heck half my clothes won't even fit in there let alone a 500lb safe.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have this: Gander Mountain® > Barska Biometric Safe with Fingerprint Lock - Hunting > Shooting Gear : Firearms, Ammunition, Black Powder, Firearm Accessories bolted to me and my wife's former waterbed frame bed.
I have my PT145, My wife's Raven .25 and soon my Ruger SR22 in it all with at least 2 mags and a 50 round box of ammo each with no problems. The reloading stuff for my .45 I keep in the garage and trust me if you get in there with out my knowledge you may be buried behind it!
Remember a $1000 1911 has no place in a $20 safe from Harbor Freight! That safe seems expensive but I have 10 yr old twins that are worth way more to me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I for one love to get a glimpse into other peoples safes.. I think its the adult equivalent of a "panty raid." cept where your not breaking into any houses.. or stealing underwear. Guess that was a stupid analogy.. but you get the point.

you can start with a smaller cruddy stack on.. its basically a filing cabinet tho. They do however make smaller more reliable safes that will ezily fit under your bed. I have one and it works just fine. Im not protecting against theft tho, just curious little hands.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well heres the thing I am on the ground floor and the window is only 27" off the ground so I need something a little harder to steal than a mini filing cabnit.. However I do have a bookshelf in my closet thats pretty sturdy its made of solid oak and not easy to smash, so I think that would be the best place to bolt it. but in my mind I don't wanna spend all of my gun purchase money on a safe, then again you guys are right my sister is more important than not having to wait on that next purchase.
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Anywher...=UTF8&coliid=I112LDR9DD017Z&colid=A6VMCSZPMAK this is the one I was looking at, do you think its too "Cheap B*stard" of me to wanna save that much?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well heres the thing I am on the ground floor and the window is only 27" off the ground so I need something a little harder to steal than a mini filing cabnit.. However I do have a bookshelf in my closet thats pretty sturdy its made of solid oak and not easy to smash, so I think that would be the best place to bolt it. but in my mind I don't wanna spend all of my gun purchase money on a safe, then again you guys are right my sister is more important than not having to wait on that next purchase.
Amazon.com: Neiko Fit Anywhere Digital Electronic Safe Box for Home, Office, Boat/RV - 550 Cubic Inches - Gray Color: Home Improvement this is the one I was looking at do you think its too "Cheap B*stard" of me to wanna save that much?
If ya hang on for today, I will find a link to another gun site where another guy actually fabricated something between two bed rails, some welding and drilling maybe and put two biometric safes that slide out on either side of the bed for himself and his wife to get to their weapons.

The neat thing is that if someone broke in while they're gone is that they would have to take the entire bed bed frame as well. It's full of instructions and photos. I'll post something for ya tomorrow when I find it Kaiged.

I found it..and I think I was mistaken about it being that secured to the rails. But this should give ya a bunch of ideals.

http://www.universalshootingsports.com/index.php/topic,908.0.html

·
Registered
612 Posts
thats some james bond stuff right there.. very cool idea.

I look at that and see endless possibility's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts