Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just because this IS a firearms leaning forum . . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I immediately thought of the duel between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr upon reading the thread title.

It's funny to think of just how casual the prospect of a duel with deadly weapons was a mere 2 centuries ago, especially considering just how many duels were made between folks who were of questionable judgment at the time such challenges were made, often being emotionally compromised, inebriated, or both. You'd think that at the very least there would have been some sort of law in which challenges had to be made at least 24 hours in advance, thus leaving the duellists plenty of time to calm down, sober up, and/or reconsider before making such a life or death decision.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I dunno - I wonder if bringing back the pistol duel would fix other issues (road rage comes to mind)
Oh yeah, that would be a great step forward...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
In the Middle of the Mississippi river, just off St Louis, lays Blood Island. So named for all the duals held there 1830-1850. Blood Island is located on the Missouri and Illinois border which neither state claimed jurisdiction to, so enforcement of laws prohibiting dueling could not be enforced.

·
Registered
19,773 Posts
I have no problems with dueling, as long as they keep the banjos out of it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Bob: "Hit him with a banjo."

Red: "A banjo, Bob?"

Bob: "Yeah."

Red: "Where is he gonna get a banjo?"

Bob: "I dunno, but I saw a guy get hit with a banjo once, and he went down."

Red: "Hitting a guy with a banjo is dirty... Hit him in the groin."

Bob: "You can hit him in the groin with a banjo."

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
Whatchu talkin' 'bout?! Dueling banjos is great!

Sidebar to daytonaredeye: Yeah, it's a firearms leaning forum, but it sure do derail easily, dudnit? :D

·
Registered
19,773 Posts
Whatchu talkin' 'bout?! Dueling banjos is great!............................................
Would be...:unsure:...if at least one of the banjos died in it. :D To me, they've always sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Having read about a few duels, it seems to me that the participants confused the two terms "honor" and "ego" frequently

Flash

In the current day, "respect" and "diss" have vague meanings, tending to hostilities in the younger set, so I hear.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
19,773 Posts
Having read about a few duels, it seems to me that the participants confused the two terms "honor" and "ego" frequently

Flash

In the current day, "respect" and "diss" have vague meanings, tending to hostilities in the younger set, so I hear.
I suppose a lot depends on how it was done but for the most part, as I understand it from what I've seen and read over the years, dueling was mostly just for ego. Nobody is actually supposed to get hurt. Done in a gentlemanly manner, special dueling pistols were always used which were extremely inaccurate and it was uncommon for anyone to get hit. The idea was that they'd go through the motions, both would miss and each would retain their honor..kinda' like the rock, paper, scissors of its time, I suppose.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I immediately thought of the duel between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr upon reading the thread title.

It's funny to think of just how casual the prospect of a duel with deadly weapons was a mere 2 centuries ago, especially considering just how many duels were made between folks who were of questionable judgment at the time such challenges were made, often being emotionally compromised, inebriated, or both. You'd think that at the very least there would have been some sort of law in which challenges had to be made at least 24 hours in advance, thus leaving the duelists plenty of time to calm down, sober up, and/or reconsider before making such a life or death decision.
Duels generally weren't brawls (except Bowie's 'Sandbar Fight') -- once a challenge had been made both primaries named a person as a 'second'; every contact between the two after that was through the seconds, and the first question asked when seconds met was, in most cases, was there any way to restore honor without going to a duel. The time between the affront and the resolution could be extensive, giving both parties time to practice. Reading the exchange of messages between Hamilton, Burr and their seconds, Hamilton seems to be trying to use word play to get out of apologizing, saying he couldn't be responsible for how Burr took the insult and how he couldn't positively attest Burr wasn't what he said he was.

Some of the guidelines are interesting reading, whether the Italian Codes Duello or the Irish Twenty-six Commandments. As has been mentioned, the goal was not 'to the death', it was to show one would stand up for oneself, either for what you had said or to face down an insult. One and done for pistols, first blood for swords (a typical duelist's scar was a short scar across the back of the right wrist where the winner flicked his sword tip past his opponent's guard).

Pistol duels were generally not the 'quick draw' style of shooting. The duelists often were given a slow count which gave them plenty of time to prepare and aim the pistols before the signal to fire was given. A violation of the agreed-on rules by one duelist that resulted in injury or death to the other would be punished as if it was a crime that had been committed off the field of honor, or by being shot by the injured party's second.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts
Awesome!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I think with modern arms it would be best to increase the distance. 24 feet would be mutually assured destruction these days.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Reminds me of a Pedersoli repro dueling pistol I recently took in on trade and sold a week later. Google Pedersoli for some pics of beautiful guns.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reminds me of a Pedersoli repro dueling pistol I recently took in on trade and sold a week later. Google Pedersoli for some pics of beautiful guns.
What happened? Did you lose your Duel?:icon_ poke:

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whatchu talkin' 'bout?! Dueling banjos is great!

Sidebar to daytonaredeye: Yeah, it's a firearms leaning forum, but it sure do derail easily, dudnit? :D
Dang show nuff! You’d’a thought I posted an article about banjo fetishes from a music magazine . . . .

·
Registered
692 Posts
A modern day pistol duel makes me nervous but I would be all in for dueling by the sword these days. Modern sabres to first blood would be interesting as most these days do not know much about using the blade and first blood would be fairly easy to come out alive with. :cool: (right up my alley or should I say definitely my forte)

Reactions: 230JHP
1 - 20 of 24 Posts