Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching for a ccw for my wife, money being a factor and size, I have 300.00 to spend. The wife doesnt like the bigger caliber guns. My PT 740 is too much, however she shot the Kahr CW9 and it was OK for her. But they are 429.00 new and she would prefer a safety. So in my search I have come across these models, wondering what you folks think. Im looking to buy something locally.

Bersa 380 Thunder $349.00 new
Ruger LCP 380 $379.00 new
Bersa Thunder .32 $309.00 new
Taurus PT 709 $349.00 new

Pawn Shop finds:
Bersa Thunder 380 like new 339.00 (too much and they wont haggle)
Beretta Tomcat 3032 good condition 300.00
Kel Tech P11 9mm they were asking 299.00, said they'd take 250.00

I know ultimately its up to my wife, but just wanted to get some input.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,729 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the .380, so the 709 is a good choice. It is a good shooting gun with a good reputation. It has a a good trigger and great feel in the hand.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Of those on your list, I've owned the Bersa 380 and the PT709.
Both are fine pistols but the 709 is lighter and packs a bigger punch.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
The Kel-Tech or PT 709. Just better choices in self defense rounds. If the 9mm is to much for her the Bersa Thunder is a good quilty pistol.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The Taurus PT709 would be my choice from the group you mentioned.

I will say that the Ruger LCP .380 is nowhere near the quality of handgun as is the PT709, which is priced the same as the LCP you found.

·
Registered
412 Posts
As for myself, when I hold a handgun, if it fits well in the hand, I can and will shoot it well...regardless of 380, 9MM, .40 Cal, or .45 ACP.

Long story short...let your wife hold the guns, and I'll wager the handgun which fits well and after a bit of practice she will shoot well.

My wife has a Bersa thunder 380 CC which has the 15 round magazine...trigger pull is very smooth (better than many more expensive handguns)...gun is accurate, and easy to take down to clean...

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would keep looking around for a good price on a CW-9. I paid $320 for my CW-40 about a year ago and even now I see the CW line advertised for well under $400. In the worse case keep saving a little longer and go for the CW-9. I talked a friend of mine into getting one several years ago. He likes it so well that just last month he went out and bought one for his wife and another for his daughter. I hear that a CW-380 is on the way to retail selves now too.

BTW, if the lack of a safety bothers your wife, tell her to keep it holstered. Even though the Kahr's DAO trigger is very smooth, it would be extremely difficult to "accidently" discharge one unless you were pulling the trigger with some intent. Keeping the gun holstered will at least keep the trigger covered.

If you have kids, or grandkids, then you will need to keep the guns up high when not carrying. If the kids are big enough to figure out how to get up to them, it is probably time to teach them to shoot. I don't remember how old I was when my father first put a gun in my hands, but at 8 years old I was on stand with him deer hunting and sitting alone on stand at 9 years old when I killed my first buck.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I would have to recommend 1.) the 709, and 2.) the Bersa.

Best to find a way to rent or borrow both and have her shoot it. I think the only issue she might have is with the 709 trigger, but it's easy to get used to.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Its for your wife- not your buddys.
My wife has had the Beretta Tomcat since 96. She will not part with it.
I can recommend the Bersa 380...its a fine shooter. The 32 is good too. The CC model is 16 oz and a little smaller than the standard version-check it out.

I would not try to push the 709 on her. If she does not like the 740 she will not like the 709. Maybe a 138 or 111.
Definitely not the P11.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
If she can handle the 709 that would be my choice, if the 709 is too much, listen to brojohn.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I would probably keep saving to get her what she has done well with so far. As far as the Keltec p11, see if she can either test drive it or at least dry fire it at the gun shop. My buddy had one and I tried it when I first started shooting. The trigger is so heavy it was difficult for a newbie like me to even keep it on target when pulling. It might not be bad if I tried it now, but I hated it when I tried it.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Its for your wife- not your buddys.
My wife has had the Beretta Tomcat since 96. She will not part with it.
I can recommend the Bersa 380...its a fine shooter. The 32 is good too. The CC model is 16 oz and a little smaller than the standard version-check it out.

I would not try to push the 709 on her. If she does not like the 740 she will not like the 709. Maybe a 138 or 111.
Definitely not the P11.
I agree with brojohn completely. My daughter carries a Beretta Cheetah .380 and she absolutely loves it.

Don't worry about it not being enough gun to protect her... I have done penetration test with my daughter's Cheetah on wild hogs in the Everglades. At close range (20 feet) the .380 does a very good job. With the advances made in ammo design it is a very viable competitor for a self defense round.

The Bersa is a nice affordable gun. I picked up a used one on line for $210 and it is in good shape. Just be patient until you find the gun that is best.

Finally, remember you can't buy her a gun.... it's like a bra or a pair of shoes. It has to be her choice or she will not use it.

Don

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Let her try the TCP 380. it is a very good gun( regardless of what you here) and the only problems
I have heard about is the trigger breaking after so many rounds(I currently have bought the RTK trigger for ours)
so can't say that is a problem. An hours worth of prep on the gun yields a very accurate, reliable shooter.
And the 380. round, if practiced with, will put a hurting on a BG.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Even though I own and often carry an LCP, I would not recommend it for your wife. It's a very dependable pistol but the light weight amplifies the snappy recoil and may be uncomfortable for her to shoot. At least that's how my wife and daughter feel.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't have personal experience with the top 3 but I do have a lot of experience with my PT709 and love it. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If that 709 is new that is a great price for it! I have seen em down here in So Florida new for $500 SS...
To me recoil is not that horrid, however anything larger might pack a punch especially for a Lady Shooter!
I'm only 5' 9 @ 160 myself...

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Bersa Thunder 380. They are hard to find (list most other pistols) and prices are high all around. But, if you can wait they can be had for around 300. I have one and feels great in my hands and the recoil is mild. 709 is a nice gun to look at and feels good in the hand, but a lot of people (especially women) complain about the "snappy" felt recoil.

·
Registered
258 Posts
CCW for the wife. That says a lot. It should be her choice. Does she have the strength to rack the slide of a semi-auto? If not, semi-autos are out of the question. Then she should take a look at UL revolvers or a derringer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The wife decided on a Sig Sauer P 238. Of course she would, its a 600.00 gun! It is a nice gun. Anyone have experience with it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts