Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the pistol unloaded, the magazine removed and the hammer down, depress the recoil spring plug, and turn the barrel bushing Clockwise, toward the right side of the pistol until the recoil spring plug and recoil are free. Be careful, the recoil spring and plug are under tension and can fly out with substantial force.

[/IMG]http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/members/2203-albums113-picture372602.jpg[/IMG]

Ease out recoil spring and plug. Cock the hammer and push the slide rearward until the semi-
circular tab on the back of the slide stop aligns with the semi-circular disassembly notch in the bottom of the slide. Push inward on the end of the slide stop shaft on the right side of the pistol and remove the slide stop from the left side.

[/IMG]http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/members/2203-albums113-picture372610.jpg[/IMG]

Slide the slide assembly forward off the frame.

Turn the barrel bushing counter-clockwise until the lug aligns with the opening and remove the bushing from the front of the slide.

Remove the full length recoil spring guide from the bottom of the slide by rotating it away from the barrel and withdrawing it towards the rear of the slide. The barrel link can get in the way of removal. To stop this, hold the slide inverted and rotate the link to its forward position. The guide rod can now be lifted over the link.

Tip the barrel link forward to clear the recoil spring tunnel. Then pull the barrel forward clear of the slide.

The pistol is now disassembled for cleaning purposes (field stripped).

Corresponding pics:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe this was created in response to my question in the other thread. I appreciate the effort and think it's a good addition for those of us who are new to 1911's. Thanks much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is incredibly helpful thanks a ton!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the bushing able to be rotated without a bushing wrench? I assume it would be on pistols that have been fired a bit but what about new ones?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Corelogik said:
Is the bushing able to be rotated without a bushing wrench? I assume it would be on pistols that have been fired a bit but what about new ones?
Yeah it's doable. Just easier on the fingers to use the wrench.

·
Registered
56 Posts
OK, I've disassembled the gun per your very nice instructions.

Now, how do I reassemble it? I believe I have it altogether except for the life of me can't figure out how to get the slide stop back in.

Could use some help here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome! I was looking at mine (after just buying it a couple of hours ago) and was like "WTH? looks like a bear to clean"

I'm kinda spoiled after using the M9 and 92FS, LOL

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
AZ605 said:
Now, how do I reassemble it? I believe I have it altogether except for the life of me can't figure out how to get the slide stop back in.
Okay, I just finished getting mine back together for the first time, but I had to use the tip of a ball point pen to depress the slide stop plunger in order to get the slide stop back in. Is that normal?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rackir said:
Okay, I just finished getting mine back together for the first time, but I had to use the tip of a ball point pen to depress the slide stop plunger in order to get the slide stop back in. Is that normal?
Not sure if it's normal but I had to do the same damn thing. Tried doing it w/ out that first and ended up snapping the slide forward under pressure and slicing the crap out of my index finger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The first thing I did when I got home with my PT 1911 AR yesterday was open the manual to check on field stripping. This is going to make it *so* much easier - thanks!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
yes, that is normal. if you put a business card under it, you won't have to worry about scratching the slide (idiot mark) while you do it.

Rackir said:

·
Registered
243 Posts
MustGoFast said:
Not sure if it's normal but I had to do the same damn thing. Tried doing it w/ out that first and ended up snapping the slide forward under pressure and slicing the crap out of my index finger.

I don't understand this?.... How is the slide going forward under pressure when putting the slide stop in?... The recoil spring and plug should be that last thing you put back into the gun so there should be no "tension" on the slide.

·
Registered
28 Posts
that plunger's pressure has nothing to do w/ pressure forward on the slide. It also seems to be a wear in item that operates more fluidly after several field strips

·
Registered
84 Posts
I know I launched the recoil spring into the wife's head the first time I took it apart. Not to worry I've launched my S&W spring a time or 2000 as well.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Heh heh heh - I disassembled my 1911 last weekend before taking it to the range the first time, and read the manual before starting. I was very careful to keep that spring from flying out. Second time, however, *after* the trip to the range, I was certain I could do it without the manual. Sure enough, I launched the spring across the living room and into the lamp in the corner ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tanks to Cimarron, and all the post members afterwards,
MY first field strip and cleaning of my PT1911, because of all the other posts I was ready for the spring. Not to bad on the grease but alot had run out before hand. Again as others have posted mine is alot better than I am.
Thanks,
Wardlomc

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great demonstration! However, when I get to the step of sliding the slide off the frame, the slide will not slide off. Something stops it. I have disassembled and reassembled this thing at least ten times. I know I'm doing every step correctly as per manufacturers and your instructions. When I reassemble it, it operates perfect...just cant get the slide off! Very frustrated here. I'm taking it back to MC Sports where I bought it. They want to look at it cause they have never seen that happen before. Can you give me any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts