Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question was asked about disassembling the magazine for the PT145, and since I needed to clean my mags, I documented the layout. Actually this is actually assembling the mag since I didn't get the camera out until I had it broken down, but reverse the process.

Notice the high end of the upper spring rides under the FRONT of the follower

Here is a better view

This is an assembled mag... notice the spring riding under the front of the follower

This is the mysterious rear slot... the only purpose is to allow you to press the metal plate down before you just push the rubber plate forward. The first time may take some prying with a small flat screw driver, but it gets easier.

When the rubber bottom plate is removed... the metal plate must be tilted until one side can clear the retainers. The plate and spring cannot be removed until it is disassembled this way.

Notice the metal tab and the indention on the inside of the rubber plate... this holds the rubber plate in place. You can use the small flat screw driver to push the metal plate down to allow this to clear with removing the rubber plate.

Instead of a protruding tab which locks most magazine metal plates to the rubber bottom plates, you will hear a "click" as the metal tab engages the rubber bottom.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Re: Disassembling the magazine for the PT145

Nice write up. The pictures really help.

The basics will be the same with other types of magazines with removable floorplates.

Steelheart

·
Registered
723 Posts
I noticed that my pt145 mag. is different than yours. The photo (4th from the top) where you pointed out the spring riding under the front of the follower. The slot where spring is visible is in the Front of your mag. and on my mag its on the Side. Also on the first picture is that the follower ( the mag. is broken down and laid out in sequence as it is assembled) is that the follower between the mag. body and the spring? because its different also. Just curious and I wonder if its a generation thing (mines 3gen.) THANKS

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm glad I did a little "hunting" before I posted a dumb question. The truth be known, I was in the middle of typing a question about how to break down the magazines when I thought to look under Gunsmithing. Too often we don't do a search and just blurt out a question that has already been addressed by someone.
Having said that, I also want to say thanks for this spread. I looked in the owner's manual and found nothing and I'm not in the habit of cleaning my firearms but not the magazines, so this perturbed me. I poked a small screwdriver into the slot as you have shown, but didn't really know what to expect; I was a little chicken, not wanting to break a magazine. Your picture cleared that up big time. It's cleaning time now. Thanks again. :thumb:

·
Registered
123 Posts
benzuncle said:
I'm glad I did a little "hunting" before I posted a dumb question. The truth be known, I was in the middle of typing a question about how to break down the magazines when I thought to look under Gunsmithing. Too often we don't do a search and just blurt out a question that has already been addressed by someone.
Having said that, I also want to say thanks for this spread. I looked in the owner's manual and found nothing and I'm not in the habit of cleaning my firearms but not the magazines, so this perturbed me. I poked a small screwdriver into the slot as you have shown, but didn't really know what to expect; I was a little chicken, not wanting to break a magazine. Your picture cleared that up big time. It's cleaning time now. Thanks again. :thumb:
Also see
for a video example.

·
Registered
8 Posts
On dissassembly of the mag you will find sprue marks on the front and rear of the follower. Take an exacto knife and trim them off, this is where they are attached to the plastic sprue they are molded on. Dress the front with 400-600 wet or dry sandpaper. Be sure to get all of the fuzzys this leaves on the follower. Clean mag with warm soapy water and a toothbrush, dry, lightly lube with remlube, breakfree or any other light gun oil. Reassemble and see the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my pt 140 mag seems to be making some noise when I load 10 rounds into it...sounds like 1 round in the magazine is loose,but not until Iput the 10th round in.
up til then the mag is fine...
Just looking to see how the magazine comes apart,and the pictures would help..

·
Super Moderator
38,657 Posts
My guess is the age of the post and that it wasn't made into a sticky. I could use them also as I will want to strip/clean mine soo also.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Marcus the Cat said:
Ok, what gives..?

Why can't I see the pictures in the initial post in this thread..?!?! :???:

The O.P. passed away a while back and the links to his photo site have since been taken down by his family.

·
Administrator
35,763 Posts
Mil Pro magazine disassembly

Since the stickied post that existed before this one has picture links that aren't there, I thought I'd post up another to illustrate how to clean the mags. Honestly, I've never taken them fully apart until today - and they were quite dirty. I think it would be a good idea to do this every 3 or 4 range visits, if not every visit.

This example was done with my PT145 magazines. The PT111 is the same with the exception, that the base pad release is in the middle of the bottom of the pad.

The plastic cover plate on the bottom of the magazine slides off. It can be quite stubborn though. I found that a small headed, slotted screwdriver inserted in the slotted hole on the back base of the magazine will do the trick. Insert the screwdriver into the slot, then gently pry the plastic base toward the front of the magazine. Only do this enough to get it started - after the plastic base has moved, you can just use your thumb and slide it the rest of the way off. This picture is a bit hard to see, but at the bottom you can notice that the plastic base has been moved slightly toward the front:

After sliding the plastic base off, you'll see a metal plate that retains the spring inside the mag well.

If you push one side of the plate down, you'll be able to lift the other side out of the mag well retention slot:

You can now lift the plate out of the magazine, and the spring will come out as well. The plate has a hole that keeps it on the spring, and you'll need to be careful not to let it slide off the spring, otherwise you'll have to slide it back on through the hole in the plate. The follower should either come out on the end of the spring, or you might have to tap the magazine on your bench to get the follower to fall out. When disassembled, all of the parts should look like this:

Clean all parts, and take a Q-tip or something similar and clean the inside walls of the magazine. All parts should look clean, with no dirt or grit on anything.

The steps can be reversed to put the magazine back together.

Reactions: Sgood1971 and Grizz

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Re: Mil Pro magazine disassembly

texastaurusguy said:
I think it would be a good idea to do this every 3 or 4 range visits, if not every visit.
+1 on that. Many shooters I know didn't realize how the follower can get sticky from burned powder residue.

I agree that Cimmaron's thread needs new pics.

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
Re: Mil Pro magazine disassembly

Yeah, Cimmaron used Photobucket, and like most hosts, will delete entire accounts if not accessed within some period of time, by the user/owner of the account.

Very nice Pics TTG! My .45 24/7 OSS magazines take apart the same way, as they use the same baseplates.

One trick I have used to partially clean magazines is to depress the follower and pin the follower thru the Mag release slots, so I can clean the upper third of the magazine body, which is the part that generally gets dirty. This generally works on most magazines, and I can do it every time I clean the gun.

The .45 double stack Taurus and similar design ParaOrdnance magazines are however, more difficult to pin and best just taken apart as you have shown.

I generally clean my magazines for my Match Pistols about every 500 to 600 rounds or just before a USPSA sanctioned Monthly Match. For my defensive use handguns, the magazines are always clean.

·
Administrator
35,763 Posts
I just updated all the picture links, apparently the file locations changed after we moved to the new software.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts