Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to check or replace the striker assembly or the captive firing pin spring assembly on a MilPro?
You will need only a small screw driver and a 1/8" punch to do the disassembly. Looking at the picture of the bottom of the slide you will find first a plastic "plug" (1.15 Slide CAP) that is held in only by a tab and compression.

GENTLY pressure it out the rear by pushing on the area between the cap and the retainer plate (1.14 Firing Pin Retaining Plate). A small flat screw driver is helpful.

Once the plastic cap is removed, you will clearly see the retaining plate. It is very similar to most firing pin retaining assemblies... you will use a punch to push the spring loaded striker to remove pressure from the plate and then pull downward and the plate will slide out... note the orientation of the slots on the plate for reassembly.

Before you remove the plate, I would suggest that you find a large plastic bag to work in. The firing pin spring is a captive device which means that it's spring can't be removed from it's metal plunger, but it will pop out when the pressure is removed. The spring you are really concerned with is the return spring... the 1.11 spring.

If you can, don't let the striker fall free. The firing pin spring will fall out of the inside of the striker assembly in one piece. The striker will be pushed back by the firing pin return spring. Note that there is a rod which passes through the striker tab.

There is a platic "cap" which holds the firing spring captive and this can break causing the gun to malfunction. The part from Taurus (1.13 Captive Firing Pin Spring Assembly). The part # for my Millennium Pro PT-145 is 36000949 and the price is $1 with a $4.75 shipping charge. Called (305/ 624-1115).

If this can be gently removed the return spring will fall free. If it pushed the striker out, it will pop free. The plastic bag keeps the springs from getting lost.

At this point the striker will be in your hand and you can inspect the front part to see if it is bent, you can clean the channel or work the striker in and out to check for gunk.

Inspect the return spring and IF it is broken, you can get a replacement from any gunsmith (take him the parts of the original).

To reassemble, you can LIGHTLY lubricate the striker assembly. Put the return spring on the rod and reinsert the striker assembly. Put the captive firing spring into the assembly... and now comes the fun apart. You must use your punch to put pressure on the firing spring, reinsert the retaining plate and push it in place enough to hold and then if you are quick you can use your thumb to snap the retaining plate into place fast enough to allow you to withdrawn your punch and let the centering rod find it's place in the retaining plate.

This is where I got my wife involved... she held the slide and I manipulated the retaining plate and the firing pin spring assembly. Actually it's just like putting the firing pin in a 1911 or a Browing High Power... or most of the others based off these this design.

Once assembled, push the cap back in place and if you found nothing wrong... then it's in the frame. If it's the spring... then you've fixed the problem without sending it back to Taurus and you haven't voided the warantee.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: Breaking Down Slide/Striker Springs for Millennium Pro

This is very informative...really useful for newbies like me. Thanks for visually breaking it down for us.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Re: Breaking Down Slide/Striker Springs for Millennium Pro

Nice breakdown guide. Thanks for the great info!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The plastic cap 1.15 is just to keep the junk out of the striker channel I guess? I have a couple on order since mine fell out. I would guess it's still good to go until I the new cap arrives. Am I wrong on that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My rear plastic cap popped off also on the FIRST day I took it shooting... :???:
Is this going to be a common occurrence? I have a Mil Pro PT140 (which I just bought a week ago) and I want to know if I should order a few of them to replace as they pop off or is there a further problem causing it to pop off?

I did not lose it or break it during disassembly it was during normal use of the gun at the range.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
massiveattack said:
My rear plastic cap popped off also on the FIRST day I took it shooting... :???:
Is this going to be a common occurrence? I have a Mil Pro PT140 (which I just bought a week ago) and I want to know if I should order a few of them to replace as they pop off or is there a further problem causing it to pop off?

I did not lose it or break it during disassembly it was during normal use of the gun at the range.

Thanks
Update: I got the caps, but they sent me the wrong ones. Keyhole pattern correct, they are just too long it hangs out the back of the gun. I presume this is for a 24/7? Gotta call Taurus Cust Serv back, they got the 2 extra MAGS I ordered correct. Try again on the slide caps...

·
Registered
509 Posts
I just did this with my 24/7 40 cal.
Works like a charm!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a 3rd Gen PT111.
Got in in late Jan/early Feb.
Probably, maybe 1000 rds thru it by now.
I clean it almost every time... but just a general barrel scrubbing, slide rails (?) cleaning/lubing .. overall cleaning.

Is this (the above pictorial) a cleaning/maintenance step I should be addressing, or it is just for repair/replacement procedure?

I'm just hoping I haven't been neglecting a major step in my gun care!?

( this is my first/only gun - I'm a newbie!)

Thanks..
Tim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tim K said:
I have a 3rd Gen PT111.
Got in in late Jan/early Feb.
Probably, maybe 1000 rds thru it by now.
I clean it almost every time... but just a general barrel scrubbing, slide rails (?) cleaning/lubing .. overall cleaning.

Is this (the above pictorial) a cleaning/maintenance step I should be addressing, or it is just for repair/replacement procedure?

I'm just hoping I haven't been neglecting a major step in my gun care!?

( this is my first/only gun - I'm a newbie!)

Thanks..
Tim
This is not a step you should have to address after every shooting, IMO. "general barrel scrubbing, slide rails (?) cleaning/lubing .. overall cleaning" is deffinately good enough. I've always been told that a general field strip and clean is fine each time and would only consider taking apart my gun any more than this after every...say...1000 rounds? I have about 800 or so through my 24/7 Pro .45 and have yet to do more than the basic field strip cleaning, and have only had a couple stovepipes (which were within the first 100 rounds or so..then i think it worked the issue out) i plan on doing a more "detailed" cleaning maybe after another couple hundred rounds...and ill deff. post and let everyone know if i notice any excessive wear or anything else outta the norm. Again, this is only my opinion, not a "rule" for everyone to go by...Im certainly not an expert at this like some of you other guys out there haha!!!! Anyways...AWESOME pictures and information, its people like you that make my life a whole lot easier.

JT

·
Registered
509 Posts
247pro45 said:
This is not a step you should have to address after every shooting, IMO. "general barrel scrubbing, slide rails (?) cleaning/lubing .. overall cleaning" is deffinately good enough. I've always been told that a general field strip and clean is fine each time and would only consider taking apart my gun any more than this after every...say...1000 rounds? I have about 800 or so through my 24/7 Pro .45 and have yet to do more than the basic field strip cleaning, and have only had a couple stovepipes (which were within the first 100 rounds or so..then i think it worked the issue out) i plan on doing a more "detailed" cleaning maybe after another couple hundred rounds...and ill deff. post and let everyone know if i notice any excessive wear or anything else outta the norm. Again, this is only my opinion, not a "rule" for everyone to go by...Im certainly not an expert at this like some of you other guys out there haha!!!! Anyways...AWESOME pictures and information, its people like you that make my life a whole lot easier.

JT
Every NEW GUN should have this procedure done as an initial cleaning.
I bet you that would end the, striker misfire issue.
That coating they put on these is just a PAIN.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just completed the breakdown and cleaning of my 24/7 9mm compact. I really appreciate your excellent pictures and directions. I thought it went very smoothly and I was impressed at how much brass shavings were in the firing pin chamber. I will have to consider this a new 1000 round ritual from now on. Thanks for the help.

Shoot straight.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just followed your procedures and cleaned my PT140PRO. You did an excellent job! Your photos were a fantastic aid!! Many, many thanks!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Would this be useful for the poster that had a new 24/7 Pro and had very light firing pin strikes? I think he was going to send it back to Taurus to get remedied. It looks like once you get the striker firing pin assembly out, you could take the striker spring and find a replacement at a good hardware store or gun shop/smith.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks! I cleaned mine yesterday (after having several misfires on Saturday's shooting trip) and there was quite a bit of "gunk" in it. Very easy to do. Can't wait to get out and see if it solves my misfire problem. Will post results after I get a chance to go shooting again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Took my 9mm millenium pro out last night. Only shot about 30 rounds, but no misfires. Shot absolutely perfect. Thanks again for the instructions - I am happy again!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts