Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of pickling some hard boiled eggs using left over pickle juice, has anyone else here tried that and what was Your result?

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Yes, I do that regularly. We buy Mt Olive brand pickles and save the pickle juice. When there is enough juice to submerge 6 or 8 hard boiled eggs I put everything in a Mason jar and stick it in the refrigerator. Between 1 and 2 weeks the eggs are good to go. My wife prefers eggs in the juice from Claussen dill slices. Once in a while I will add hot sauce to the mix.

The flavor, although not as good as from scratch pickled eggs, is pretty good. After about 3 weeks in the juice the eggs start getting a bit rubbery but they taste good.

Don

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't eat beets, one of the foods I was forced to eat as a Kid so I am repulsed by them, no beet juice here.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
What Bang Bang Said

·
Registered
18,509 Posts

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I make sweet pickled jalapenos, sometimes I throw a couple eggs in the juice for a few weeks. Delicious.

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I make sweet pickled jalapenos, sometimes I throw a couple eggs in the juice for a few weeks. Delicious.
"Cowboy Candy" Yummmm......

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I'm thinking of pickling some hard boiled eggs using left over pickle juice, has anyone else here tried that and what was Your result?
J, I pickled a dozen eggs the day you posted this. I am impatient...so they're gone already. I haven't pickled eggs before so I just couldn't wait. I will do better next time. Today I will make another batch, and also I will be pickling some chicken hearts and gizzards. If I can find some turkey gizzards I will do them also. You got me hungry for pickled fish too.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I pickle eggs in a mixture of white vinegar, corn sugar, salt, garlic, mustard seed & dill, with 1/4 of a raw Vidalia onion per 1/2 dozen eggs. It's not a cast in stone recipe, more of a guideline - stuff added or subtracted depending on what's on hand or what sounds tasty at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About a year ago I made tons different types of pickled eggs. Only 1 recipe actually used picking spice, and I really didn't like it all that much to be honest. Most of my recipes were trial and error, making batches of abut 6 eggs at a time and tweaking based on results.

Buffalo Eggs were my favorite, with Guinness Eggs a close second. It's not that hard really, basically 50/50 water and vinegar and usually a salt, spice, and sugar component.

For buffalo, I used Frank's hot sauce for some of the vinegar and a bit of worcestershire. The Guinness eggs used beer, malted vinegar, brown sugar, and black pepper. I also experimented with wine, wine vinegar, and balsamic vinegar.

I'll check if I wrote any of the recipes down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts