Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
I look at that picture, and I can hear a distant Viking ancestor whisper, "Ya, dat dere is a good sword, by Yiminy. I shore could have used dat back in my day."

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
By the way, don't put it IN your BOB, sling it across your back and practice your over-the-shoulder draw.

But carefully, VERY carefully.

·
Administrator
39,372 Posts
I like it! I don’t know what I would do with it and I’m sure the wife wouldn’t let me hang it on the wall.:D

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I like it. I have always wanted to get a good quality antique sword or a very high quality reproduction.

Funny timing for the post... I got bored recently and started rewatching the Highlander TV series. I hadn't seen it since it was on.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I like it. I have always wanted to get a good quality antique sword or a very high quality reproduction.

Funny timing for the post... I got bored recently and started rewatching the Highlander TV series. I hadn't seen it since it was on.
Where did they carry their swords?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I often wondered that myself. The long coats are fine for shorter blades but some of those folks carried rather large swords.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No scabbards in the TV series.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I think they had them under their coats, or at least some sort of clip.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
It is my understanding that was not in the original script. Harrison ford did that as a joke. But it worked so well they just left in the final film. (referring to the shooting)
What I heard was that everybody on the crew was fighting with Montezuma's Revenge and Ford was sick as a dog that day. When they shot the scene- which was intended to be a big sword versus bullwhip fight, he was sick as a dog and, on the first take, improv'd by pulling his pistol and shooting. The actor with the sword (who had practice the choreography for months) went with it and that was that.

Where they carried a short sword depended on time and culture. Saxes (a big saxe is enough blade to consider it a short sword) were carried horizontal in front of the hip or even across the small of the back, Romans carried it on the strong side vertically and did a kind of twist draw. In a shield wall, something that short would be much more useful than a full length blade. There's no room to swing but there's plenty of room to stab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts