Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as promised, I picked up my new-to-me Kel-Tec PF9 yesterday. So good to have it home! It still needs a good cleaning, but I hope to be able to get out and shoot it soon. I am so happy with my purchase. Can't believe that I got it for $180. To me, that seems like a good price. In addition, I picked up a neat Uncle Mike's pocket holster as well.

BTW, thanks to everyone for giving advice on the other thread pertaining to this pistol. I do have one question for y'all though. How tight is the frame to slide fit on your PF9s? Mine seems a little loose. Not terrible by any means, but I was just curious. I don't think it will affect performance. Plus I have handled much higher-priced poly pistols that rattle like a bucket of bolts! :D

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Congratulations on the KelTec PF9. A good buddy of mine had one, and loved it, and bragged about it and recommeded it for CC, until he bought a Ruger LC9. :D

I fired his PF9 a few times, and personally I didn't care for it. Too much caliber in too light of a gun IMO. I have a Taurus 709 and the Ruger LC9 that I like. I also have a KelTec P11 that is a little larger and easier to handle.

No matter, from what I have and what I hear, KelTec makes a good product.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I like a little bit of lose fit on guns like that. They are made to be carried and carry guns get lint, dirt, grit, and all sorts of other crud in them. A little rattle in a gun like that will keep them from locking up on a bit here or there in them. Think about how old GI 1911's used to be. They ran like Timex's in the mud and worse and only become jam-o-matics when people make them tight for accuracy on paper. I think of the PF9 as a serious caliber last ditch defense gun that doesn't come close to breaking the bank. You can't buy better for that same price. They weren't made to be range guns and it bugs me when people demand more from a gun than it was made to give you. Dang it, now I need to get one too...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You did great RF at $180. The slide on my previous one was a tad loose but did not effect performance at all. If you go to Ktog and or call Keltec you can check the manufacturer date to see when it was built. Mine is almost NIB so the slide is fairly tight still. If you go to the Keltec sight you can check out the parts. You can rebuild that gun from the ground up if you want. A new blued slide is $80 and new receiver with parts incl is about $34, new barrel $95, the rest of the parts are nominal. They recently came out with a +1 round grip extension which is tremendous. If you like your pinky on the grip it gets it back on there and one extra round to boot. The Hogue jr hand-all is not a bad idea if you have med lg-to lg hands. Some people melt the bottom (hook) of the trigger back for more room in the trigger guard area. If you ever shot a P11 you'll note a really stiff trigger the PF-9 albeit has the longer D/A pull has a 5# trigger which is real nice. There is a little play within the first few millimeters but "hay it ain't a Kimber".The reset on these is great as well. Once you're used to it the trigger stages nicely. The felt recoil is snappy but train with it and it will become second nature. At least it did for me however I tend to be a recoil junky so I like it. As they told me at Keltec when I called there to trying to figure out my first one, get out there and shoot it allot. I will probably try to put 50-100 per session. On my first one I put 200-300 per session and developed some tough hands LOL.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did great RF at $180. The slide on my previous one was a tad loose but did not effect performance at all. If you go to Ktog and or call Keltec you can check the manufacturer date to see when it was built. Mine is almost NIB so the slide is fairly tight still. If you go to the Keltec sight you can check out the parts. You can rebuild that gun from the ground up if you want. A new blued slide is $80 and new receiver with parts incl is about $34, new barrel $95, the rest of the parts are nominal. They recently came out with a +1 round grip extension which is tremendous. If you like your pinky on the grip it gets it back on there and one extra round to boot. The Hogue jr hand-all is not a bad idea if you have med lg-to lg hands. Some people melt the bottom (hook) of the trigger back for more room in the trigger guard area. If you ever shot a P11 you'll note a really stiff trigger the PF-9 albeit has the longer D/A pull has a 5# trigger which is real nice. There is a little play within the first few millimeters but "hay it ain't a Kimber".The reset on these is great as well. Once you're used to it the trigger stages nicely. The felt recoil is snappy but train with it and it will become second nature. At least it did for me however I tend to be a recoil junky so I like it. As they told me at Keltec when I called there to trying to figure out my first one, get out there and shoot it allot. I will probably try to put 50-100 per session. On my first one I put 200-300 per session and developed some tough hands LOL.
Thanks for the advice y'all -- especially AA! I can't wait to put some rounds down range! :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on getting a nice pistol for a really good deal! ;)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
For $180 if it goes bang every time you pull the trigger then you done good. I've heard a lot of complaints about the recoil on PF9's, but I'm sure it's nothing like the snap a BG would receive from the business end. I like it.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Nice score hpoe you like it. If you keep buying bottom feeders, you're going to have to change your name though!

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
I still have no decided if I want a .22 conversion or not. For just a small amount more get a whole new gun. But Twisted industries has a conversion for both the pf9 and the p11. I have not tried these so I cant testify to their reliability, just putting the info out.
Twisted Industries, Inc. -KelTec 22 Conversion Kits- PF9 P11 P32 P3AT
I was thinkin' about that kit for my P11, but I wound up getting a Ruger SR22. I think it's more what I wanted the gun for. I don't need a .22 kit for practice, not when my handloads are cheaper than buying .22 ammo. I'd rather practice with the real deal.

Reactions: Maximumbob54

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Nice pistol! I've got two Keltec's, a Pt3At, and a P-11. I like them both. They work every time and are nice to carry!

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on getting your PF9. Great Little Gun. Mine feeds any and all ammo so far. Snappy little beast. But at that size and weight ya gotta know it will be.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I carry a PF-9 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster as well.

My PF-9 has proven to be surprisingly accurate, and reliable.

Reactions: RevolverFan
1 - 20 of 26 Posts