Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The gun gods smiled upon me today at a big show in our area... I'd seen the exact same gun about 2 months ago at a LGS for $299 and passed up on it (and regretted the decision later), but found this LNIB condition Model 85 UltraLite 38spcl in glossy black finish and got it for $240. Looks to have VERY few rounds through it, if at all. Locks up super tight, no end shake, and the cylinder gap is tight. Can't wait to shoot it tomorrow. Makes a nice addition to my other Taurus 38 spcl revolvers (a gloss black Mod. 82 and a polished stainless Mod. 85 concealed hammer all steel with Pachmayr checkered rosewood grips).

·
Registered
24,756 Posts
Congrats on your new to you wheel gun.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Congratulations on the new to you revolver!

·
22,743 Posts
Now that is one handsome revolver.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Decent score on a great gun. I have two snubnosed revolvers... both. 38s. A M85 UL stainless and my former off duty gun: second issue Colt Detectives Special. My go to carry is snubnose. My go to snubnose is my M85. Sure, one less round and a slightly rougher trigger, neither of which matter significantly in a critical situation.

Taurus should focus on making and marketing the 85 in a more back to basics way. Blued, stainless, matte stainless. Walnut grips, rubber grips. People want that. A M85 is the perfect CCW gun to recommend for people who are new to CCW.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the range today and ran 50 PPU 158gr LSWC rounds through it and 10 Winchester 110 gr +P HPs through it. The gun shot just as accurate or more so than my other J frame 38s (a S&W 642 and a Taurus 85 steel frame). Shot point of aim out to 10 yards. Relatively comfortable to shoot; feels better than my 642 - the Taurus' grips are more cushion. Had one time where the cylinder locked up and wouldn't turn/trigger wouldn't pull. Opened the cylinder, dumped the empties, and put the one unfired round plus one more back in, closed the cylinder and it fired fine. Not sure what happened there. My other all steel 85 did that once and the only thing I could tie it to was the revolver was pretty hot when it bound up. This "new" UltraLite I noticed doesn't seem to get very hot at all. Just warm after a few cylinder fulls being shot.
One other thing - those LSWC bullets lead the bore something bad... still scrubbing it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts