Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several carry guns... But I like choices based upon my clothes selection, the weather, my destination, my preference that day, etc

I bought this NIB (old stock) Dan Wesson CCO .45 this morning

28oz with empty mag (has aluminum frame)

Commander size slide - barrel (4.25") on an officer frame (1/2 " shorter grip than commander) with a slightly bobbed/rounded lower mainspring housing

3.5lb trigger pull per my Wheeler gauge and trijicon night sights

Now... To the range I go!

·
Registered
24,695 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun.

Reactions: LibertyKeeper

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
Sweet acquisition! I would not have been able to pass that one by either. Congrats!! Range report!!

Reactions: LibertyKeeper

·
Super Moderator
13,882 Posts
Wowzers! Ya done good, there. I'd winter carry it OWB or chest rig under a coat/heavy jacket, though (I can't stand IWB), then spend my time solving how I'd carry it in the summer heat.

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
Sweet acquisition! I would not have been able to pass that one by either. Congrats!! Range report!!
my local drug deal--ahh I mean gun shop/range just got in a shipment of new Dan Wesson, I scoped them over and fondled a couple, luckily for me none were 38 Thuppers so I passed.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
What a great looking 1911 you purchased there!

·
Administrator
35,445 Posts
Beautiful 1911 you bought there, congrats ! Makes me want to carry my PT1911 since it's the dead of winter, I may have to do that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Excellent 1911 pickup, It’s sure to shoot as well as it looks! BTW, that’s a super nice horsehide? holster you have.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Beautiful pistol you acquired. How well does that holster cover the manual safety? It looks pretty secure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Fyi - I ordered a kydex IWB holster for the DW commander to give it a try

The manual safety does dig into my side a bit using this Galco with the 1911... So I'll give the kydex a try (kydex has sweat shield/full cover of the pistol frame/safety on body side)

Something like the one below (that's not a 1911 holster but you get the idea)

·
22,542 Posts
Oh very much yes. That is one seriously nice 1911. I love the idea of CCO. Never owned one, but that is a primo example, right down to the classy, understated "CCO" marking on the slide. Wow. Nice grips too. Can't wait for a range report; congratulations!

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
not knocking the gun now--but for me the down side of the cco is that you still have the slide length of the commander but the reduced capacity of the officer/defender size grip.
and the good thing is generally the grip is whats hardest to conceal as it don't stick down in your pants but outward from the body.
I have a few good carry 1911, an alloy framed officers model thats super light and small, a alloy framed Commander and a steel framed defender but its a boat anchor compared to the two alloy frames, especially the officers model which weighs in at 23 ounces with a unloaded magazine.
and to show that i am a equal opportunity 1911 carrier i also have a Dan Wesson high capacity point man that weighs in at like 54 ounces loaded--LOL

·
Registered
246 Posts
Beautiful pistol. Never even put my mitts on a DW 1911. They get such high praise, I know I need to snag one sometime.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts