Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... now that I have the correct sub-forum, lol.....

Hi,

New member here.

I just picked up a used Taurus 669 w/6" barrel (blued) yesterday for very little money out of pocket. I did a serial number search and it came up with.... Model: HG-669-B6, Date: 1989. I looks to be in great shape. I own a few other revolvers, but they are all Rugers. This is the first Taurus firearm I've ever owned. I was wondering if you could give me some information on this particular model? Are they good guns?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, here is a quick picture of it. I couldn't get it to focus without a big glare from the blue shining back, so I had to take it without flash.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Hubba - hubba!! That sure is a beauty!That era of Taurus revolvers are really great shooters - and quite nice looking too. Congratulations on such a great find!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Beautiful revolver. Thanks for sharing

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
cat congrats.jpg

You are going to be very happy with that shooter indeed!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota. Congrats on a great wheel gun.

·
32,499 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

You have a fine revolver there. Some were made with a vent rib barrel. Don't you know I sold mine to get another Taurus revolver.:bang: That's a regret I sold it minute.

On the subject of the 669.Introduced in 1988. Discontinued in 1998.
Weight is 39 ounces. In the last decade those were still being made in Brazil but not offered in the U.S.A.. The model 66 took it's place. The 689 and 669 are kissing cousins as the 689 has a ventilated rib. Other than that they are both alike in every way. I've got a 689, 6 shot, 6" barrel revolver. :)

Here's a little info from here about 669s.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/132828-taurus-669-689-vs-m66.html
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/69440-taurus-669-layaway.html
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/116405-model-669-vs-model-689-a.html
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/130691-taurus-model-669-youtube-review.html

I tried to pick out threads with some stats and data other than just rah-rah ones. :)

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I've got the same one in stainless steel. Good shooter, works well, and is reasonably accurate. It has nice balance too. The only difference between it and the 889 is the vent rib on the 889. It uses the same grips as other medium and large frame Taurus revolvers.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I hear that model is a real dud. In fact, the 669 was discontinued because they tended to explode when fired. Please pack it up and send to my FFL for proper disposal. I will be glad to reimburse you for the cost of shipping.:D

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Looks pretty useless to me, send it to me and I'll dispose of it so you won't be bothered anymore. That is one nice looking wheel gun. Congrats

Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
I hear that model is a real dud. In fact, the 669 was discontinued because they tended to explode when fired. Please pack it up and send to my FFL for proper disposal. I will be glad to reimburse you for the cost of shipping.:D
Looks pretty useless to me, send it to me and I'll dispose of it so you won't be bothered anymore. That is one nice looking wheel gun. Congrats

Bill
Darn, y'all beat me to it. :mad: I was gonna make the same "send me that worthless piece o' junk" pitch, but if he sees it three times, he'll probably catch on.

Very nice ree-volver ya got there. Congratulations on a good purchase, and welcome to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
You got a nice one for sure.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Taurus 669s and 689s are the best kept secret in the revolver world........crap..... I can't believe I let that slip... anyway.... I'll give you what you paid for it plus five bucks!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and for the information you have provided.

I'm glad to read that this model is a good revolver. I almost didn't buy it, even though it was so inexpensive. But, two steps from the counter I realized I would probably regret walking away. Also, another guy slid up to the counter and was eying it... I swooped back in there right quick, lol.

I was looking it over again last night. I'm so glad I bought it. I compared it to a couple of my Ruger revolvers and while the Rugers are fantastic guns, this one was much smoother in the trigger. I don't know if it's because the former owner had some work done, or if it just smoothed out over its' 26 years of life... but what a wonderful trigger.

Also, all of my other handguns (revolvers and semi-autos) are stainless with some form of rubber/poly black grips. The look of this gun compared to those is just... I can't describe it. I always bought stainless for its' durability and ease of cleaning (they all still look new), but the high gloss blue and wood grips on this gun is just beautiful. I may be a convert over to blued guns after this, lol.

I'll have to wait until this weekend (hopefully, work permitting) to do a real test at the range. I'll be sure to post a range report (I'm no bullseye target master like some guys are, but I do try!)

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Awesome pistol!!! as a general rule, Taurus revolvers have a smoother trigger that the Rugers. I'm glad you decided to buy it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts