Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a PT1911 9mm today - Updated Range Report

:D I bought my first 1911 last year........a S&W 1911TA Eseries........what a nice gun..........so now I got a 1911 boner.........was looking for something in 9mm and not really many choices. Got it from Buds, great service and pricing as always.

My first impression of the gun is that it feels like a quality handgun, nice trigger, unlike some have reported the safety is tight......the thing is filthy and will get a good cleaning tommorw.......The slide finish could be better. I like the sights.......I was thinking of putting night sights on like my eseries, but its gonna be a range queen so we will see.

I wanted something cheaper I could customize and mess around with and it fit the bill............I ordered these last nite

Grade A Cocobolo Grips Checkered and some of these Grip Screws Hex Head 1911 SS Package of 4 to go along with them. Can't wait to shoot it this weeked!

Today I took it to the range and shot a bout 175 rounds through it. A couple of observations.

1.Recoil - was more than I expected. It felt very close to my M&P 9MM which is 24oz. I figured the extra 14oz of a steel gun would lesson the felt recoil.
2. Grips, the plastic grips feel slim (maybe part of reason in no1) but new ones on the way. Be interesting to see if that makes any difference.
3. I was pleased with the accruacy. I was shooting at around 10 yard or so give or take and in the first mag pretty much hollowed out the center of the target.
4. Had 5 FTE's but what was odd was on one mag it was 3 in a row. The other 2 were on seprate mags on seperate times.
5. The stock mags suck ass using an upula mag loader. It keep getting stuck on the mag, not sure why. Maybe the rounds were not loading 100% corectly which could have contributed to no.4.
6. The trigger felt nice, but the grip safety feels a bit loose and took longer to enguage. I think it maybe due to the FPS design, but then again I was comparing it to my S&W which is $500 more and has no FPS and is just about perfect.

Overall I am satisfied with the gun, good value, nice shooter. Its primary purpose will be range time and I can see many thousands of rounds in its future!

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Nice pick up you got there, be sure to give us an update after a trip to the range. And don't forget to post a few photos....we even like the dirty ones (I am of course speaking of pre-cleaning the gun).

Last but not least...WELCOME to the greatest gun forum in the world !!!!!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
:nopics:

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
The design of the slide serrations remind me of the Kimber Ultra Raptor II pistol. A little different design that goes a long way in the looks dept.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You've got a nice pair of 45's!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome aboard. I picked up my PT1911 in 9mm a little over a month ago and love it. Definitely my favorite handgun now

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I pulled it apart to clean it today so I can go shoot this weekend! I have to say this was the most filthy "new" gun I have ever seen. I have shot 1000 rounds through my S&W M&P 9mm between cleanings and it was nowhere near as bad as this. I can't believe it is a brand new gun.................
this is how it looked taken apart before i did anything at all............................
SANY1480.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome from Rhode Island to the most informative and friendly gun site on the web. Congrats on your new PT1911. I love mine.
:guns:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got one of the super shiny stainless models with gold trim in 45. Absolutely love mine.:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I pulled it apart to clean it today so I can go shoot this weekend! I have to say this was the most filthy "new" gun I have ever seen. I have shot 1000 rounds through my S&W M&P 9mm between cleanings and it was nowhere near as bad as this. I can't believe it is a brand new gun.................
this is how it looked taken apart before i did anything at all............................
View attachment 24109
You probably won't want to put quite that many rounds through a 1911 between cleanings. I don't really know about the 9mm version but the .45 probably wouldn't like that too much. I clean mine even if I only put 1 round through it, but it is my carry weapon so I would hate for something to happen and have a failure due to a dirty uncleaned weapon.

That "dirt" looks a lot like old dried oil. Maybe some grease. Not really too bad, not having known the manufacture date and how long it has been sitting in a case. I've seen a lot worse. You would be surprised at how grimy and dirty new assault rifles were when they first arrived to the armory in the military.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You probably won't want to put quite that many rounds through a 1911 between cleanings. I don't really know about the 9mm version but the .45 probably wouldn't like that too much. I clean mine even if I only put 1 round through it, but it is my carry weapon so I would hate for something to happen and have a failure due to a dirty uncleaned weapon.

That "dirt" looks a lot like old dried oil. Maybe some grease. Not really too bad, not having known the manufacture date and how long it has been sitting in a case. I've seen a lot worse. You would be surprised at how grimy and dirty new assault rifles were when they first arrived to the armory in the military.
I will have to take your word on that. Makes sense I guess, probably oiled up good at the factory and some of the mess appeared to be grease. My S&W was a little dirty but nothing like that. Not sure when it was manufactured, its also the first gun I have bought that didn't have a test round in it, which also has the date fired. Its clean now though but not for much longer :) I probably will clean it after each time at the range like my E-Series........the M&P, usually around 1k rounds. The trigger is shit in that one but it has been 100% reliable from shot one.

·
Registered
36,678 Posts
I pulled it apart to clean it today so I can go shoot this weekend! I have to say this was the most filthy "new" gun I have ever seen.
Well first welcome to the forum!
you gotta remember that the Taurus has to travel across a bunch of salt water to get to Miami, where it mays it in a shipping container for some time before being distributed through the warehouse, so they pack a good bit of protective oils/grease in them to protect them.
on really older ones that have sit around on shelves for a while the grease/oil will actually turn brown and get quite stiff, of course the 9 Mm PT1911 hasn't been out that long.
generally the very first reccomendation fom those familiar with Taurus is field strip and do an ultra good cleaning before firing the weapon, as for the spent case, some manufactures supply them some don't.
there are only a very few states/cities that require them and those areas can easily get a spent case form a pistol to file away.
enjoy the 1911's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts