Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Looks ugly. Feels great. Heavy yet perfect weight distribution makes it feel lighter than it is. At first, the trigger feels horrid. After a few dry fires, I find the trigger very predictable. It's built like a tank. I hope to get it out the range this weekend and start breaking it in.

• Made in the USA
  • Unlimited lifetime warranty
  • Super affordable
This is going to be fun. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ain't a delicate flower, ain't high priced; I really like my 9mm High Point carbine. Fun, easy shooting right out of the box. I can burn up a box or two of ammo before I realize it.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
That's a great looking rifle for an out-of-the-box rig!

Congratulations on a great addition to your household.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I've been eyeing affordable pistol carbines for some time. Because of my stock of Glock 9 & 40 mags I've had feelers out for a KT Sub 2K but their distribution is so low and such a mystery. Hi-Point is next in line. Post up a range report on the 45 when you can - grats on the nice add!!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've got the 9mm version. They are fun! They're made just down the road from me here in Ohio!!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Laker - I grew up in New Philadelphia, OH - you know it??

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I've been eyeing affordable pistol carbines for some time. Because of my stock of Glock 9 & 40 mags I've had feelers out for a KT Sub 2K but their distribution is so low and such a mystery. Hi-Point is next in line. Post up a range report on the 45 when you can - grats on the nice add!!
You might want to look on a few other forums for info on them, not everything I have been hearing about the sub2k is good.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I had a 995TS, great little guns esp for the money. I'd jump on a 4595 if they took 1911 mags since I have a major addiction to 1911s and have a ton of mags for them now. Why hi point didn't do that is beyond me, seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a 995TS, great little guns esp for the money. I'd jump on a 4595 if they took 1911 mags since I have a major addiction to 1911s and have a ton of mags for them now. Why hi point didn't do that is beyond me, seems like a no brainer.
At the Hi-Point forums, I've read about conversions to accept 1911 Mag's. Something about swappong out the magazine catch.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Sub 2000 on order for months now. Ive seen a sub2k just once.

Wasn't Taurus going to release a pistol caliber carbine?

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
I have one of the 9mm on order thru my FFL, but currently both of his suppliers are Out Of Inventory, however for the price he shot me I can wait.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts

·
Registered
7,241 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Definitely a fine rifle you picked up there sir, those Hi-Points do their job well. I love my 995, even though I wanted the .45 version, they were on backorder everywhere i checked at the time.

Wasn't Taurus going to release a pistol caliber carbine?
Yeah, they're on the streets of Brazil already, but I don't know if they're having trouble bringing them stateside for some reason. I know alot of changes have been made in Taurus lines recently with the change in CEO, so maybe one day soon we'll actually see them. They were supposed to release early this year initially, but those plans never saw the light of day like the 800 series .22 conversion kits.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
They were supposed to release early this year initially, but those plans never saw the light of day like the 800 series .22 conversion kits.
One of the reasons I bought by 809:(

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
At the Hi-Point forums, I've read about conversions to accept 1911 Mag's. Something about swappong out the magazine catch.
From what I understand it involves modding the actual mag rather then the firearm though, it would make the mags useless in a 1911 I assume. Main reason I'd like them to take 1911 mags is I have so many of them already... and high quality runs I usually buy almost only chip mccormick mags. My Taurus 1911s love them :) Would be kinda neat to have a carbine that I could dip into that pool of mags ya know.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've been eyeing the poor boys Tommy gun ever since High Point announced they were coming out with one. The magazine capacity is just something I can't get past in my mind, other than how fugly it is!

What are they going for now?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been eyeing the poor boys Tommy gun ever since High Point announced they were coming out with one. The magazine capacity is just something I can't get past in my mind, other than how fugly it is!

What are they going for now?
The sticker on mine was $285. I can't find any other .45 ACP carbine for that price. As I said earlier, it looks ugly. When I shoulder it, the darn thing feels just right. Even the funky grip feels right. I got over it's looks real quick. As long as it functions & puts rounds where I aim (and I am confident it will), all will be good.

There are two ways to get a 1911 mag to fit. The first was mentioned earlier, a slight modification to the 1911 magazine. The second is to drop in a 1911 magazine catch. In the future, I may do this.

I think ProMag is going to make higher capacity magazines. Right now, the Hi-Point mags are relatively cheap. $18 per mag. Hi-Point sells a 2-mag + 2-mag holder for $48. I can't find a decent new 1911 mag for less than $30.

If nothing unexpected occurs, I'll shoot it at the range tomorrow. I have some TulAmmo, Federal Champion, & handloads to fire through it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Looks ugly. Feels great. Heavy yet perfect weight distribution makes it feel lighter than it is. At first, the trigger feels horrid. After a few dry fires, I find the trigger very predictable. It's built like a tank. I hope to get it out the range this weekend and start breaking it in.

• Made in the USA
  • Unlimited lifetime warranty
  • Super affordable
This is going to be fun. :D
THAT is not ugly. My 4095 with 1st version (Planet of the Apes) stock is UGLY!
Gets really ugly for the target, too. VERY accurate.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts