Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the girl went down to new Orleans today for a st paddys parade and on the way back got a call from a friend a
That said he got his hands on a mosin. He knew I had been looking for a while on an early model. When we get back home I'll take some more pics of it. This is only one I have right now

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Congrats on the new, vintage rifle!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Congrats on the pick up. I'm still looking for an earlier year than and of the LGS get in. I'd love an early teen year like yours

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the pick up. I'm still looking for an earlier year than and of the LGS get in. I'd love an early teen year like yours
thanks, ive been waiting a good while for an early model... still trying to match up all the stamps to find out more about it..

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Nice pickup there sir, definitely a keeper there. I'd keep it all original and pick up another one to play with stock refinishing/swapping. That's my plan at least when i pick up another one, whichever one is older will stay original. Mine is a 1938 and i absolutely love it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im not doing anything to it..gonna clean it up and buy a 880 round case of ammo for it.... mainly gonna use it for deer hunting instead of the 30 .06 for the last year or so been wanting to get the old iron back out and make it a little more challenging...

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've found that the easiest way to clean these rifles is to take them apart and hang them outside for a few days. This only works during the summer though.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
A trip to Narlin's plus a Mosin-Nagant, cant beat dat! Go AINTS! ;)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Congrats on your Mosin!

Is it a Hex or Round receiver?
I'm guessing that given that age, it should be a hex receiver because it's actually an M91. I'm interested to find out the manufacturer personally, since Remington and New England Westinghouse produced some during that time period. Here's a link to the "High Priests" of all things Mosin-Nagant related.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
congrats, good lookin' rifle

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Congrats to you then sir, you've just picked up one of the rarest Mosin's possible. Only 750,000 Remington Mosin-Nagants were built, with about 470,000 of them actually making it to Russia. Definitely don't make plans on putting that into a new stock, buy another one from Bud's or somewhere if you want to modernize it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
remington and westinghouse did not make the mosin nagant during that period. Westinghouse reguardless of yesr always had a 1915 date. the remington was 1916 to 1917. maybe 1918

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am trying to find a nice 1912 and 1913 mosin nagant, NOT moderized! looking for ones as they represent the rifle. a 1897 would be nice .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts