Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is an as built, new in the box 1911 polished blued, 2 mags, 45acp, hard case.
I was told by customer service that there might be optional packages of these but
she did not elaborate as to what they may be. The plain black grips were included
in the case.

Another change I noticed and I'm not sure when they actually started this. The pin for the
main spring housing is now an allen head screw that comes in from the left side of the gun.

While I was on the phone with them I asked about refinishing my PT92. I was told that it
would void my warranty. She then said that they had been considering starting an internal
gun shop for this sort of work down in Miami. I suggested that it sounded like a really good
idea considering that I can do nothing to freshen up the look of my gun and still get it serviced.

·
Administrator
35,700 Posts
Very sweet ! Congrats on your new 1911, a range report is in order ! :shooter:

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i don't see why refinishing a pistol would void warranty. if that really is the case IMO that should be changed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Refinishing voids warranty? to what extent do they consider refinishing I wonder. Great looking pistol, let us know how the finish holds up if you will be holstering it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Great looking pistol. Shoot it (often) in good health.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to get a shot that would show the blue tint in the finish but they all came out black.
If you turn the gun in the sun or a light you can see the blue color come out. Also, these
are a different grip that what I have seen called the bulls head grips although they have
the taurus bull logo on them.

I think they consider refinish as putting anything on the gun that wasn't put on by their factory.
I don't know for sure but I don't think it would include doing cosmetic polishing or light spot touch ups.

The customer rep said that different finishes had different build up thicknesses(I knew that) which could
possibly interfere with the proper operation of the gun. Obviously, any pro refinisher would check the
action and if needed, polish slide to frame fit or barrel to slide fit as needed to resolve this.
They wouldn't budge on it though. It is Taurus corporate policy.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Nice pistola.....

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Pretty darned sweet!!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!

The "refinished firearm" part of the Taurus warranty really needs to be changed. I can see voiding the warranty if the refinish job
actually creates the issue, but a blanket "void" policy stinks.

The new Double Diamond BH Grips I've been seeing more and more look awesome, but I still like the original ones better. I hope they
haven't done away with them altogether!

·
Premium Member
11,264 Posts
Oh Crap! Now I've got to buy another 1911.

Not that it's a bad thing, you understand.:happy:

·
Registered
37,050 Posts
i don't see why refinishing a pistol would void warranty. if that really is the case IMO that should be changed.
I don't know???
Man I have seen some real geniuses refinish weapons>
I have seen Dura Coat on guns that was a 1/16th of an inch thick, so thick that the slides wouldn't even move.
and there was one guy from these parts that had refinished a 1911 and a AR-15 with a spray paint that created a "Stone Faux" finish, yea he thought it was neat!
Only big probelm was he sprayed everything and then put the guns back together while the paint was still a bit tacky!
next morning?? yea you guessed it, glued together.--LOL, he had posted on a local forum wanting to know what to do.
so I don't know about a blanket do anything that you can to a gun and we (taurus) has got your back!
Perhaps they could tie the warranty to an I Q test?

Reactions: jim1911

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't know???
Man I have seen some real geniuses refinish weapons>
I have seen Dura Coat on guns that was a 1/16th of an inch thick, so thick that the slides wouldn't even move.
and there was one guy from these parts that had refinished a 1911 and a AR-15 with a spray paint that created a "Stone Faux" finish, yea he thought it was neat!
Only big probelm was he sprayed everything and then put the guns back together while the paint was still a bit tacky!
next morning?? yea you guessed it, glued together.--LOL, he had posted on a local forum wanting to know what to do.
so I don't know about a blanket do anything that you can to a gun and we (taurus) has got your back!
Perhaps they could tie the warranty to an I Q test?
I swear people in our world are getting dumber. I firmly believe it is because of warning labels. If you don't know not to stick your hand in the lawnmower blade while it's running, you deserve to lose your hand, just saying....

·
Registered
37,050 Posts
I swear people in our world are getting dumber. I firmly believe it is because of warning labels. If you don't know not to stick your hand in the lawnmower blade while it's running, you deserve to lose your hand, just saying....
I attribute this to 2 things!
First the removal of lead from paint, especially interior paints! and
the reduction of the legal amount of chlorine that is allowed to be used in the gene pool.

Reactions: jim1911

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love the polished blue finish. Nice find.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wonder what Taurus' take on engraving is? If the consider that a refinish...wanted to have my slide pro done.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The grips you presently have on the pistol really give it a classy look! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts