Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been telling myself I was going to get one. Finally did it this weekend. Shot it today and I'm really impressed with it.
IMAG1021.jpg

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have the HP22A. It was the most reliable .22 pistol I ever shot and it was pretty accurate. Shot pretty well any .22 ammo I put in it. At $130 I call it a good deal. I will say the fit and finish is awful and it is the worst pistol I've ever owned in that respect by a long shot.

It is currently out of commission because the frame cracked after firing somewhere between 10-15,000( yes, thousand, not hundred) rounds. I haven't got around to sending it in for a warranty replacement yet. Maybe I'll get to it this week.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Congrats on the new pistol!

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
Congrats! I've been toying with the idea of getting a .25 ACP, since I've never owned a rodent blaster of said caliber...that un looks like a good candidate...

·
22,294 Posts
That's cool!

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
A HP22 is why I will no longer mess with pot metal guns. I've had a slide crack shortly after purchase, had the frame bashing cause the malleable pot metal to bash to the point of tying up the slide. Had to do some grinding with a dremel to finally get it operational again. Haven't got more than 2000 rounds through it. Don't like to shoot it now that it's finally running again.

Might as well call Phoenix Arms and get some more recoil springs. They don't last more'n 500-600 rounds. PA will send you 3 or 4 at a time for free.

Anyway, I still have the thing, but never shoot it. It IS pretty accurate, but the gun I bought to replace it as a pocket fishing gun is MORE accurate and a HECK of a lot more durable. It's a little larger, but a lot lighter. It's a Ruger SR22. Yeah, it cost a bit more, but it's WORTH a LOT more. And, I ain't afraid if I shoot it, I'll break it. It's pushing a couple thousand rounds at this point, as much as I've put in that HP22 in over 20 years, mostly with it broken and me scratching my head wondering what's up with it. I finally figured that frame battering thing out a couple of years ago, maybe put 50 rounds through it, put it up when I got the SR22.

It seemed like a good deal when I got it. I did a little home trigger job on it, got it real nice, even bought a 5" barrel for it which came with a finger extension magazine. I do use the magazines....as speed loaders for my Rossi revolver. They're a handy way to carry several reloads for the Rossi.

I just don't consider the gun to have been a good purchase even though I got it for 70 bucks brand new. YMMV If I shoot it any more, it will be with CCI STANDARD VELOCITY, no mini mags. The standard velocity will be easier on the slide and frame.

·
Registered
619 Posts
U've had one for over 2 years now. I purchased mine for $100. For the money and the warranty that accompanies it, it's a great buy. I didn't want to spend $300-$400 on a plinking pistol... I rather put that money towards other things...

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
On the positive side, PA has great customer service. That's a good thing, because you'll use it from time to time.

I think one of the things that hurt mine, other than the fact that I fired a lot of CCI mini mag in it because that's what it liked, is that the springs are so cheesy. I'd let 'em go until I started getting misfires because the spring wouldn't close the slide all the way to battery. That had to be hard on the frame where the battering occurred. Maybe if I had changed the spring every 3 or 400 rounds minimum, but then, that just seems a bit ridiculous. That spring reminds me of the spring in a ball point pen. :rolleyes: It's kind of a pain to re-assemble, too, but you get the hang of it. There's no spring guide, just sits in there loose with the one end over a stamped sheet metal stud to locate it.

Yeah, personally, I think the $335 I gave for the SR22 was a lot better deal than the 70 I gave for the PA HP22, but to each his own. But, the QUALITY is that much better...

That HP22 would put CCI into 3" from the 3" barrel off the bench at 25 yards. THAT is astounding accuracy for a gun with such a floppy barrel fit and before I had all the trouble with it, I was agog over it. I shot quite a few water snakes with it while fishing, even a nutria out at about 30 yards, this with the 3" barrel. It always fed unless it was messed up, no routine failures. Yeah, for a few years I really liked it until it started messing up.

When I wanted to replace it. the niche it occupied, I was looking at the rather excellent Bersa .22. They had one at an LGS in Corpus down the street from the house for $300. THEN, the SR22 came out and, me being a Ruger fanboy anyway, I was smitten. I picked one up at a gun show in Robstown and have been shooting it ever since. I've shot a couple of rabbits with it out of the deer blind out back, but other than that, all I've done is take it on fishing trips and plink with it, haven't shot anything else with it, but I haven't even looked at that HP22 for a long time. :D

I'm kinda .22 poor, own 7 or 8 handguns in .22. Some have special niches, some are just retired as shooters. I hunt with my scoped Contender .22 barrel or my scoped Ruger Mk 2. The SR22 and the Rossi 511 revolver are iron sighted plinkers and trail guns. I carry a NAA mini revolver in a folding grip as an always back up carry. The rest of 'em don't see much sunlight, so the HP22 isn't the only one that don't get shot much. It has company.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I'm with NativeTexan. An SR22 would be a much better choice.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Well, considering the price of .25ACP, I doubt that HP25 will wear out as fast as the HP22. :D

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Always wondered why it's called pot metal in a cheap gun, while the same stuff is called alloy in a more expensive gun?

I was not interested in a 22, pretty well covered there. The SR22 is nice, except Ruger put the safety on backwards. Mine eats everything so far except Federal, which it chokes on.

I got the HP25 to replace a Raven I lost in a house fire. The Raven went with me almost everywhere for 20 years or so. What better to replace it with than the Phoenix which raised from the ashes of the Raven plant?

I actually wanted a PT25PLY, but not a fan of silver guns and I have not been able to find the all black model. I initially walked away from the Phoenix but*a few hours later went back and got it, thinking I can get 2 of these and a box of ammunition for the cost of the Taurus. Even if it's a dud I can't get hurt that bad.

I'm actually pretty impressed with it. Although I currently have less than 200 rounds through it, there has only been one malfunction, the second shot failed to go into battery. Had to tap the back of the slide, since then -nada.

Reassembly is a bit troublesome. At least I'll stay in shape chasing the recoil spring! Hopefully soon I'll have it figured out.

The main reason for the 25 though, is just to play with. I know where there is a .251 barrel liner that I want to turn into a squirrel rifle. Thinking of something along the lines of the Chiappa Little Badger, maybe stubbing the small framed Rossi single shot.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The HP22/HP25 is a junk gun that is definitely NOT JUNK! I have the .22 with longer barrel and it's awesome. Be careful when removing the slide, tho. The spring doesn't seem to like being inside the gun very much and will attempt to escape any chance it gets! It's also easily to damage the coils on the spring, if you're not careful.

The redundant safeties are kind of annoying, but overall, I think you picked up a nice piece. Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Always wondered why it's called pot metal in a cheap gun, while the same stuff is called alloy in a more expensive gun?
Well, Zamak, or zinc alloy, is not your typical alloy. It's soft and it's just inappropriate for firearms manufacture. High Point uses it, but in order to do so, they have to use enough that it rivals a 105 howitzer in weight. As I say, I've sworn off it. Compared to a normal aluminum alloy, too, it's HEAVY. That PA is a lunk in a pocket compared to, say, a Taurus PT25.

I was not interested in a 22, pretty well covered there. The SR22 is nice, except Ruger put the safety on backwards. Mine eats everything so far except Federal, which it chokes on.
Every .22 likes something different. My SR22 loves Federal. There are some light loaded rounds it doesn't like, Winchester 333 round bulk comes to mind. It LOVES Remington golden bullet. IMHO, the safety on the Ruger is perfect. It decocks just like my P85 and other than it doesn't return, like my KP90DC. However, i'm not much in love with the magazine safety. But, it's not a defensive gun, so no problem there really. I don't carry anything smaller than .38 special for self defense, myself, no reason to. Well, one exception is my sometimes church gun depending on the pants I wear is a NAA Black Widow in .22 magnum. Better than nothin' if I need extra stealth. Today we went to Seguin for the wife's highschool reunion planning get together and I carried a .22LR NAA mini weak side pocket, a .38 Special M85 SSUL strong side pocket, and a M605 Poly in .357 magnum as a primary on my belt OWB under a long T shirt. .25 could make a backup, I guess, but my 5 ounce NAA in a 3 ounce folding grip is a lot lighter than my PA HP22. It, my .38, and my .357 put together weigh about what a 1911 weighs. I only put the .357 on for trips and such and around here, don't always bother. The .38 is plenty of gun IMHO, just like a NY reload when I travel to more crowded areas.

I got the HP25 to replace a Raven I lost in a house fire. The Raven went with me almost everywhere for 20 years or so. What better to replace it with than the Phoenix which raised from the ashes of the Raven plant?
Did it melt? Well, for a couple hundred bucks, I like the Taurus PT22/25, but it does have design things I don't like, such as lack of an extractor. I understand WHY, it's the tip up barrel, but I'd rather have an extractor.

I actually wanted a PT25PLY, but not a fan of silver guns and I have not been able to find the all black model. I initially walked away from the Phoenix but*a few hours later went back and got it, thinking I can get 2 of these and a box of ammunition for the cost of the Taurus. Even if it's a dud I can't get hurt that bad.
Academy usually has 'em. But, I'm not sure if Taurus is behind on supply or what.

I'm actually pretty impressed with it. Although I currently have less than 200 rounds through it, there has only been one malfunction, the second shot failed to go into battery. Had to tap the back of the slide, since then -nada.
Oh, I originally loved my .22, but eventually, with all the problems, learned to hate it. Maybe the .25 will be different. Don't know. Hope so.

Reassembly is a bit troublesome. At least I'll stay in shape chasing the recoil spring! Hopefully soon I'll have it figured out.
With the .22, I got the 5 inch barrel. It shoots a little better with what it likes, but the neat thing about it, I can remove the 3" barrel and install the 5" to clean the barrel and feed ramp, then swap back. The spring stays in place if I'm careful, otherwise it's a pain. Bending the spring up a little bit helps if you're installing the slide. When I clean it, I just lock the slide back to clean the slide face and spread a little gun grease where I can if needed. I got to where I wouldn't take the slide off except when I had to change a spring which goes limp about every 500 rounds and must be replaced.

The main reason for the 25 though, is just to play with. I know where there is a .251 barrel liner that I want to turn into a squirrel rifle. Thinking of something along the lines of the Chiappa Little Badger, maybe stubbing the small framed Rossi single shot.
That's interesting, a reloadable .22 substitute. I have a centerfire .22 substitute rifle already. It's a Rossi 92 iin .357 magnum. I load a 105 SWC in .38 brass to 900 fps and it's a pretty good squirrel rifle. :D I've also thought about getting a TC Contender barrel or some single shot in .22 Hornet, casting for it, and loading it to .22 LR velocities. More'n one way to skin this cat. :D Seems people are getting creative with the .22 shortage, but I'm still getting .22 ammo and shooting it. I WILL be SO glad when I can walk in to Walmart and buy a bulk pack or 10 again. :rolleyes:

I used to have a .25, a cheap Zamac (pot metal) RG 26. This was 35 years ago when there was no such thing as legal carry in Texas. I wanted something I could ditch without sorrow if I had to. :D I couldn't hit squat with it past left jab range, but it did defend me once against a mugger with a knife. I never had to shoot, he ran off at the sight of the thing. So, the only time I've ever defended myself against a bad guy was with a .25 auto and it worked perfectly. LOL!

Anyway, good luck with it. Since it's just a toy, no sweat relying on the thing for defense. I just hope you have better luck than I did with my HP22 over the long haul. And, I mean, if you don't, at least you're not out much money.

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
And, after chatting about it on this thread, I might just try some standard velocity CCI in my HP22 tomorrow since it's been ignored so long. :D

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zamak, used in the Phoenix, Hi Points , Sig Mosquito and 1911-22, Walther PPK/S, Etc.

Not saying the Phoenix is the best out there, and for the money I do not expect it to be. Just saying they all use Zamak III. The Sigs and Walthers are rarely described as "pot metal" guns.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Even though I have both the 25PLY and PT25, this topic is probably going to cost me the expense of the HP25A. As a 25 ACP guy, as my various posts indicate, this pistol has been bugging for awhile. For me, the advantage of the HP25 over the Taurus products is a lockable slide. The flip barrel product has real problems with solving feed issues if the need arises, especially under pressure.

What about the trigger? Is the reset defined? Is it light shooting off the reset?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts