1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
That would very much be in keeping with the iron fisted dictator he is, so no surprise really.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
It will really cut down on the spread of the virus, but really shoot up the death rate for a couple of days!:eek:

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
His circus, his monkeys.

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
He is the first one shot it would be great!
Jeff Dunham could use him as pineapple on a stick.
I SHOOT YOU !
I SHOOT YOU DEAD !

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
"I will not hesitate. My orders are to the police and military, as well as village officials, if there is any trouble, or occasions where there's violence and your lives are in danger, shoot them dead," he said in a mix of Filipino and English in the televised address. "Do not intimidate the government. Do not challenge the government. You will lose."
Perhaps he means if you resist arrest for violating the law you will be shot, IDK. If that's the case it's no different than China, they're just not as open about saying it to the foreign press.

·
Administrator
39,385 Posts
Well, in the bolder portion of the post above, it sounds like you won’t be shot just for being out. But rioting or any aggression toward the authorities will be met with deadly force. That’s my take on it anyway.

·
Registered
27,138 Posts
Perhaps he means if you resist arrest for violating the law you will be shot, IDK. If that's the case it's no different than China, they're just not as open about saying it to the foreign press.
Ummm... that's what happens here as well... 1,004 people shot by police in U.S. in 2019.

(NOTE: Not saying that those U.S. shootings were not justified, I did not research any of the individual shootings. Just pointing out that that is what police forces do... apply force to enforce laws.)

·
21,971 Posts
Ummm... that's what happens here as well... 1,004 people shot by police in U.S. in 2019.
What Duerte does does not happen here. He is nuts. He has publicly ordered acts that I won't like to here because our our site guidelines. Think about that.

·
Registered
27,138 Posts
What Duerte does does not happen here. He is nuts. He has publicly ordered acts that I won't like to here because our our site guidelines. Think about that.
Not responding to what Duterte is doing, rather to the text I quoted.

Governments act badly. Not always, but often, and not restricted to those that we think of as bad actors. The huge thing about the American experiment is that we try to limit the power fo the government to roll over peoples rights. But compare

to

It all comes down to action and reaction.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Been to the Philippines 5 times. Love the people, the country, the food and San Miguel beer.

Duertes is just a pacific islander Donald Trump, only not as politically correct.

A thousand times better than when Marcos ran the country.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
This is the guy that had police doing undercover drug buys then killing the dealer.

Rumor has it Duterte went out on patrol with some one night and showed them how to do it,
killing one himself, so there was no question what he wanted the cops to do.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Duterte is the hammer that got voted in when the drug pushers were getting out of control.
And it is working; slowly it's getting cleaned up. Unfortunately, a few good people will get killed along the way.
It's easy to say "collateral damage", unless you're related to one.
We can only hope that once it's under control, he'll step aside and let a saner person take over.

·
Registered
31,695 Posts
It appears that the Philippines must have a lot of violence-prone people.

They really do, as it is a nation of many Islands, and the Southern Islands have the Moro (Muslim) people and are the most violent.
It was the Moro rebellion 1899-1913 where our troops found their current side-arms not enough and John Browning was commissioned to develop a cartridge and the pistol to fire it that would be a true manstopper. He developed the 1911 and the .45 acp, which did the trick quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moro_Rebellion

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
21,971 Posts
We can only hope that once it's under control, he'll step aside and let a saner person take over.
Sure, just like..... well, somebody. I just can't think of any examples.

Reactions: Zen Ape
1 - 20 of 24 Posts