Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three questions about 7 yard shooting (Your choice of speed):

1. Using whatever gun, what size 5 shot groups can you shoot consistently, off hand (without any kind of rest)?

2. Using whatever gun, what size 5 shot groups can do you aim by practice to reach, shooting off hand (without any kind of rest)?

3. Using whatever gun, what size 5 shot groups do you accept as good enough for anyone's self-defense, shooting off hand (without any kind of rest)?

JimL

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
I love these questions, as a real novice. With only a few months shooting handguns, here is my best answer.

1. 45 colt 6.5 Judge, last 10 round fired were in a group not exceeding 3 inches.
2. I am not sure how to answer that one, my recent groups have been within the 2nd ring out on a 5 " target, at both 7 yard and 12 yards with the judge.
3. I feel with that gun, I am close enough at between 7 and 12 yards.

I have not gotten to 25 yards per your other question, but I am working on it.

I want the same shot from my PT111 Pro, and believe me I am not there yet on that gun.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
wish i could answer, have not had a chance to shoot at paper yet...
but when i do, i will post on it.... :D :D

Good Post..JimL ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dbsoundguy said:
wish i could answer, have not had a chance to shoot at paper yet...
I'll have to post later myself when I get my 45 back from Miami. With the roughness of that trigger I never got even close to what I wanted to do. I shot better with the HiPoint, even though the grips were too big for me.

But I am a bit surprised at the reluctance to post on this so far.

JimL

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
That's because most people don't train like that. If I can hit a pop can at that distance at rapid fire, off hand, whatever it's more than adequate for my needs. Most people go to their range, set up targets and plink. Nothing wrong with that, in fact Wyatt Earp said it himself, it's better to be slow and accurate than fast and miss. All those IDPA types, more power to ya. I doubt in the real world you will actually need the skills you posess unless you are executing search warrants. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a valuable skill to have, but ordinary joes can't or won't dedicate time to do such things and for the most part they will survive as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe I'm missing some thing but all the questions sound the same to me.

I'm not a gun nut yet, but I started shooting small game as a child and a kill is a kill. Only time I had to use a second shot was to knock the dead squirrel off a branch. I know handguns aren't the best choice for killing so I practice more than I ever did with a shotgun. Use to shoot skeet.

As far as groupings for a handgun I usually practice at 7-15 yards and have improved from 8" groups to 4" groups at as fast a speed as possible. Slow speed and long range shooting with a handgun isn't that important to me. I figure that if I have to use it it will be quick and dynamic with lots of stress. Really hard to mimic a situation like that at the range, best I can do is draw quick and hit fast and 4" groups on a stationary targets seem acceptable.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ace said:
That's because most people don't train like that.
I didn't ask about training. I asked about hitting what you're aiming at. Anybody can shoot at a cardboard box, right?

in fact Wyatt Earp said it himself, it's better to be slow and accurate than fast and miss.
The setup said choose your own speed.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stephpd said:
Maybe I'm missing some thing but all the questions sound the same to me.
I didn't think it was that strange. Short range and long range (for a SD handgun):

1. What can you do?

2. What do you hope to do some day?

3. What do you think is good enough to save your neck if faced with a killer?

Very different questions.

JimL

·
Registered
235 Posts
1) I do a roughly 4 inch group right now, I still need to get myself more on squeezing the trigger instead of yanking it.

2) I want to do a sub 3 inch group from 15 yards...a bit further than 12 yards, but if I can group them 3 at 15, I can do it at 12.

3) Honestly, I would say that if you can just hit the target at a range, you'll hit someone. May not kill first shot, but you will definitely do some damage. I think being able to hit the target in at least the 7 ring, you will be good to go.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
threefortyduster said:
I think being able to hit the target in at least the 7 ring, you will be good to go.
Frankly, I don't even know what the 7 ring amounts to. But I would recall the fact that there's a good chance a BG will be high on something and hard to put down.

JimL

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can usually make one jagged hole at 7 yards with full size guns. compact/pocket guns will stay in a 2" bullseye

·
15,931 Posts
mavracer said:
I can usually make one jagged hole at 7 yards with full size guns. compact/pocket guns will stay in a 2" bullseye
You are a reminder to me, that I need to continue to practice. Practice, PRACTICE!! :shooter: :thumb: :guns:

·
Registered
532 Posts
At 7 yards, my 5-shot S&W 9VE groups are ~1-1/2", usually with all rounds touching. My Taurus 2" 605 shooting Gold Dot SB +Ps stay in a 2" to 2-1/2" group. Firing the same gun single action, the groups are about the same size as the Sigma.
I must say that shooting the Taurus double action makes my trigger control with the Sigma much better.

Groupings are very near to point of aim, maybe 3/4" to the right, so I feel confident that either gun would prove effective against a BG.
Of course, as everyone else, I always strive to improve, whether by accuracy, or speed, or both.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Currently I put 5 rounds into the 9 ring routinely with all my pistols and revolvers at 7 yards. The 4" Tracker 357 will do much better at about 2" groups when I fire single action. If I draw and fire at 7+ yards, I don't see why I would not have time to fire single action at the first target. Of course, I grew up shooting single action revolvers and have spent much time with this method. With the full sized handguns, I also practice outside with soda or beer cans and have no problem out to around 70 to 100 feet. Past that, I use a long gun, unless I'm just plinking. I would like to get all of them down to about a 2" group. I'm best with the Bulldog Pug with 135gr GD for the 2" -3" barrels, but shoot most with it. Fastest groups are with the PT-111 124gr GD and it will stay with the Tracker out to about 50-60 feet.
The exception is the little NAA .22 mag, which will do an easy 3-4" group out to about 8 feet (not bad for a 1" barrel, face gun)

·
Registered
846 Posts
7 yards should be in 2" best would be all in 1"

·
15,931 Posts
This is where I want to get with all of mine! But I am only there with a 22 mag, and a 45 colt, at 10 to 12 yards. There were no total misses on this round.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Robby said:
This is where I want to get with all of mine! But I am only there with a 22 mag, and a 45 colt, at 10 to 12 yards. There were no total misses on this round.

Aw, that's nothin'. Why when I was only knee high to a grasshopper I ...

I give up. You win! :D :D

JimL

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
At 7 yards, 5 shots with my Taurus 85, I usually have one hole.
Not sure where the other 4 shots end up. :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts