Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up group, applied for my permit in Newnan, Ga and they said 4 to 5 weeks, no training no nothing, just fingerprints. I received it in 7 days. Seemed a little easy?

·
22,058 Posts
I renewed mine in Zebulon ga. last year and it took about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Because of the people that have no or very limited shooting experience, I prefer that everyone have to actually qualify & have some safety training. I hate to think of a frightened soccer mom blasting away that has never practiced, or really considered what's behind the BG she's trying to stop.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
4play said:
Because of the people that have no or very limited shooting experience, I prefer that everyone have to actually qualify & have some safety training. I hate to think of a frightened soccer mom blasting away that has never practiced, or really considered what's behind the BG she's trying to stop.
I just had to say a big AMEN to that. I could not see my wife, with a concealed permit, even though no kids at home. Unless she has had the basic gun course, some range time, then the concealed carry course from KY, that takes 8 hours to complete with firing according to what I have been told.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Robby said:
Unless she has had the basic gun course, some range time, then the concealed carry course from KY, that takes 8 hours to complete with firing according to what I have been told.
Same thing here is Vegas. An 8 hour course (mine was taught by an active LEO) with a test you have to score 100% on. If you shoot an auto, you need to range qualify with every auto you plan to have listed on your CCW. Revolvers are much easier -- qualify with one and you are good for all revolvers. Revolvers include darringers, too. :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I do not agree with Georgia's philosophy of handing out concealed carry permits without going through at least a minimal amount of firearms safety, local and federal laws, and range qualification time.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
They do it up here in Washington too and I like it. While I support responsible firearms ownership, I don't feel you need to take a class to excersize a right. Those who do take their responsibilty seriously will of course take a class. But having to qualify for something that should be a fundamental right to a non crime committing citizen is wrong on many levels and should be considered a softer version of gun control. There are very few accidental gun deaths up here, and even fewer gun incidents involving people with gun carry permits. And all we have to do up here is fill out the paperwork and they take our fingerprints. Statiscally your horror scenarios of soccer moms blasting away just don't happen and if you do believe that you are all victims of what we like to call "the hype".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved here from Arizona and they required the course before you could get your permit. I would think that at the very least a simple questionaire would be good. I am glad it was easy but they probably should add at least one more hoop to the process. Also, my wife works at the YMCA in Newnan and she talks to alot of officers that come in and she said that from the officers she talks with they are in support of honest people carrying guns and that almost all of their fellow officers are in support of it also.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
hike500 said:
I moved here from Arizona and they required the course before you could get your permit. I would think that at the very least a simple questionaire would be good.
I just wonder, did you have a permit in AZ. I can see a state accepting proof from another state of a valid permit, and issuing with no waiting or training.

Just curious is all!!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
I do not agree with Georgia's philosophy of handing out concealed carry permits without going through at least a minimal amount of firearms safety, local and federal laws, and range qualification time.
+1

Knowledge of the State and Federal laws will help quite a bit. For my first permit (before Mn went Shall Issue) I could have just taken a basic DNR Gun Safety course but chose to find an actual Carry course. Went back to the same place a year later for my Shall Issue permit course.

The legal knowledge and a confirmation of firearms safety and basic shooting ability should be required. I'm not suggesting anything difficult but the ability to hit a target at a range measured in feet on a regular basis. Or as I heard it put once, an 80 yr old lady with an 80 yr old gun should be able to pass it.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
I observed a class several weeks ago doing their qualification shoot. Young lady in the class stated that she had never handled a firearm in her life before that qualification. The instructor saw to that she knew what she was doing by the time she left. Now this was in the Great State of Texas. She had already completed the classroom portion on laws etc. earlier in the day. :clap:

So I say don't just hand them out. Ya gotta jump through a few hoops first. :thumb:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Smokewagon said:
I observed a class several weeks ago doing their qualification shoot. Young lady in the class stated that she had never handled a firearm in her life before that qualification. The instructor saw to that she knew what she was doing by the time she left. Now this was in the Great State of Texas. She had already completed the classroom portion on laws etc. earlier in the day. :clap:

So I say don't just hand them out. Ya gotta jump through a few hoops first. :thumb:

I agree completely. I just went through the CCW in Missouri with 8 hrs of classroom training including range time. The County PD spent the extra time needed with folks that were not familiar with firearms at the range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here in Kansas, you are required to do an 8 hour course, including range exam. (Priced from $100 to $200, depending on your instructor. $150 is typical.) Then you pay $110 to the state and $40 to the sheriff in your county of residence (for fingerprinting and processing). Then if you are approved (from 45 to 90 days later), you pay $12 to the drivers license examiner's bureau for the permit. They give you a temporary license that looks like a cash register receipt and your license shows up in the mail a week later. Most people will have 3 or 4 months and a little over $300 invested by the time the license issues. The license is only good for 4 years, so that's about $75 a year for the first 4 years. Renewals are $100 (as $50 to the state and $50 to the sheriff) plus a late fee of $15 if you don't get it turned in on time. The renewal license printing fee is still $12. So, after the first 4 years, the annual cost works out to about $28 to $32 per year, depending on whether you apply for the renewal license on time. Here in Kansas, it ain't cheap to exercise your right to bear arms, either time-wise or money-wise.

As far as getting out of the 8 hour course, you are only exempt if you were retired from the service within the past 8 years at the time of your application.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ace said:
While I support responsible firearms ownership, I don't feel you need to take a class to excersize a right.
There are plenty of d___ fools in the general population... I can't see arguing for the clueless clowns surrounding us to be armed on a whim.

The phrase, "earned the right to..." has more than a little meaning. Responsible people see rights as responsibilities, not Christmas presents for the starry eyed.

Many people EARNED our rights at very high cost, and if we don't continue EARNING them we will lose them. I seriously doubt that all the boys who died in cold, wet trenches or on exposed hillsides intended their lives to be offered up to assure that todays many careless, clueless, me-first generation twits would be armed like someone was handing out bags of cotton candy.

I know of a lot of people who I shudder to think what might happen if they were given (or simply had) guns. Huh-uh, at least make sure they know most people shouldn't be killed!

My .02

JimL

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the fact that the two states that I have had a CHL in, OK and TX, require 8-10 hours plus a range qualification. At first, I was a little miffed that I had to do it all over again in TX (was hoping that I could just transfer); but after thinking about it and seeing the caliber of people at the class I quickly had a change of heart and took it for what it was worth, a refresher. Some of the people that I see at the range who don't know to keep their gun pointed downrange (I tell 'em real quick) or those that don't know how to make their firearm safe make it obvious that some serious firearms training is needed.

·
Administrator
40,646 Posts
I agree that we shouldn't have to do all this to exercise a right, but the times they are a changin'. So, whatcha gonna do? :bang:

·
Registered
41 Posts
PA doesn't require any training to get a LTCF (License to carry firearms). I however took a class on my own to ensure I knew what I was doing. The only people required to have formal training are those going for their Act 235.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts