Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite saying is 'when does the hurting stop'
Theres a really bad flu bug going around this town and it hit me a few weeks ago.
The local doctors office is swamped so it takes a few weeks to get in at all.
Finally the flu went on its way... and now im sick again with another damned cold.
This one has been hanging on for over a week and just getting worse.
Brutal fever I feel like death once again. I saw the doctor and he said theres nothing he can do about it.
In this town everybody works at the same place so we all get sick together. My whole family and all my coworkers are sick.
Anyway I made around four grand last week and then I had a week off. My girlfriend wanted to get a haircut but the nearest place for that is about a three hour drive. So I decided it was time to go spend some cash. I needed a new ipod and some reloading manuals anyway.
The weather report was 'blowing snow, high wind, several inches on the ground and -40.
Thats kind of the usual around here so we really dont let that sort of weather stop us from doing what we do.
So me and my girlfriend packed our feverish selves into the family car. It has no heater so we put on several layers of clothes and wrapped blankets around ourselves. It was so cold inside the car there was frost all over the interior and we could see our breath. The drive is pretty much a straight line right through the prairies, nothing but farmers fields between here and the city.
The roads were icy and the blowing snow made it almost whiteout. We drove about an hour and a half and were about halfway to our destination. There was a surprising amount of traffic that day and we were stuck behind a slow moving 18 wheeler that was kicking up snow and rocks. I tried to pass the truck. Everything was by the book... we were still under the speed limit... there was oncoming traffic but it was quite far ahead. We got up too about 120 kph and just as we passed the rig our tires let loose on the ice and we spun several times down the on coming lane of the highway then down an embankment and slid sideways about 40 feet into a field. As we were sliding down the road my girlfriend was freeking out I said 'dont worry well be fine just hang on' As soon as we came to a stop the car was buried in a layer of snow and ice and grass. I shut it off and got out to have a look, the front tire was shredded off the rim.
Right away two other vehicles stopped to see if we were alright. The first one was an off duty paramedic and she asked if we we ok. The other one was an agent in a company truck for the insurance company that I have my health and life coverage through (kind of funny that)
I called roadside assistance to send a tow truck. In the mean time people in pickup trucks kept pulling up too us every 2-3 minutes asking if we were alright. I changed the tire and one of the trucks that stopped pulled us out of the field. So I called and cancelled the tow truck and we continued our drive. It took about 40 minutes for my girlfriend to stop shaking because she was so frightened by the accident. I have at least one off road event like this per year. this year ive had three. In this last months every member of my family has ended up in a ditch at least once. My girlfriend says my driving scares her, which kind of makes me feel bad. I used to be a more cautious driver but where I live now is so far from any cities or any LEO's that nobody really bothers with speed limits or road rules, its sort of every man for himself here. No traffic no traffic lights, two roads... North and South.
So the girlfriend got her haircut and we did some shopping and got some dinner. I noticed one of the tires was flat so I had to fix that. It was now 8:00 pm and we were about to start the drive home. We arrived home a few hours later both mottled shades of grey and red from the cold and crawled into bed with horrible fevers and slept most of the next day. Im still sick and its back to work tomorrow for another week in the cold. Perhaps ill stay home I dont know... I cant decide. On one hand dead sick on the other hand I hate missing work bah. I have to go un thaw my car so I can get to the bank and pay rent.
Laterz all !

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried lol. We have a couple of vehicles and none of them have heat. The problem is I keep saying I will take it too to mechanic and get it fixed and my dad keeps telling me not too. He says 'ill fix it! I just need some more time! and the mechanics will charge you more than its worth'. Some more time tends to turn into years around here... its actually starting to annoy me.
I figure if he doesnt get it sorted out soon hes had his chance and ill go pay whatever the mechanics want.
For my pickup truck they quoted me two grand to get heat 'if they can fix it' so that one still goes unheated.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I agree if minus 40 degrees and snow and blowing wind is normal my first priority would be fixing the heater!!!!!. It could have been much worse. Plus passing a truck at a 120 KPH is crazy for that weather. IMO. And I come from the north.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the passing was my bad. The limit was 110 I just sped up to get around him but still probably not the smoothest move on my part.
I dont mind the cold so much myself im kind of used to it... but it makes me feel bad for my girlfriend, she gets cold when shes sitting in the sun on a warm day. She toughs out the cold here and lack of civilization for me.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I agree if minus 40 degrees and snow and blowing wind is normal my first priority would be fixing the heater!!!!!. It could have been much worse. Plus passing a truck at a 120 KPH is crazy for that weather. IMO. And I come from the north.
Agreed, just because a sign posts a speed it does not mean it is safe to go that fast. A few weeks ago it snowed out here and the roads were really icy. I was pushing it doing 35 mph in a front wheel drive car. Many 4X4 trucks kept blowing past since the posted speed limit is 65 mph. A few miles up the road - guess what almost all of the 4X4s were off in the ditch and fences because they hit a really slick spot. After making sure they were all OK I slowly continued on my slow pace to work. Remember speed limits are established based on safe and dry road conditions. When any form of water is on the road you must adjust the speed accordingly.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I agree if minus 40 degrees and snow and blowing wind is normal my first priority would be fixing the heater!!!!!.
If minus 40 was normal, my first priority would be to move South!:)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LMAO yes my priority is to move back south! I have had enough of the never ending winter.
I have wasted most of this day trying to get my car unfrozen. Its too late now to get to the bank to pay my rent or get to the post office to check the mail. When I was trying to start the car the door froze shut on me and I was stuck... and the battery in my truck is dead from the cold lol. What a day :p

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
What a trying ordeal you've gone through!

I'm dreadfully sick with an upper respiratory infection, but at least we do not have the ice and snow down here in Mississippi to contend with.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This also seems to be an upper respiratory tract infection but im starting to wonder. Ive never had a cold or anything as persistent as this. Ive never visited Mississippi but it sounds like a place id like to be about now.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Yep!!! fix the heater, and consider some better tires. They should come before toys after all you only have one life to live and being out on the road in a blowing snow storm and -40º weather without a damn good reason is not the best idea in my opinion! I am old enough that I don't want to tempt fate since I figure my time is coming soon enough as it is!!! Being retired if it is snowing or bitter cold ( yes we get -40º weather here too ) the wife and I just throw another log on the fire and I wait for the snow to stop to go out and plow the drive and the rest of the areas I keep plowed off for the wife to feed her birds and critters, and by that time the county and state have gotten the roads cleared.

When we were in our teens, twenties, and even early thirties we never let much of anything stop us, but as we got older we also got wiser! There was one time when we were scheduled to go out to my uncles ( about 20 miles out of town ) after work on Friday to get his brother and let him stay with us for a few days. We had a 4 WD crew cab pick-up and when we got out to the main highway and headed East I turned to mywife and said "Uncle Jim will just have to spend another night or two with Uncle Acil"! I began to wonder if we were going to get back to town as bad as the roads were drifting with blowing snow. I called my uncle when we got back home and told them they would have to keep uncle Jim for another night or two!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You live where it's -40 degrees, made $4,000 in a week and drive a car with no heater?

Hmmmm...

LOL I know I know im not the swiftest around sometimes. I do try, but im more muscle than brains and very old fashioned... if it doesnt kill me it makes me stronger. Early thirties but I act like I belong in the stone age.
My dads MUCH worse though... I do try to use my common sense when it occurs to me and I make sure all our cars have first aid kits and emergency kits. The men in my family drive the women up the wall with the sh*t we get into. Its a bit of a joke in the family and around town not to go into the woods or on any sort of moving vehicle with my dad, it usually turns out upside down and lost in the woods.

But the point of this wasnt really about the cold... the cold doesnt bother me much its just more of an annoyance.
It was more about the chain of events I guess (perhaps just venting) dunno.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
If it's like here its the dang monkey flu and of course the flu shots were for a variant of the swine flu (H1N1).

Sarge

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
When I lived in Ohio and it was so bitter cold, I drove a VW Bug which means your feet burn off and the rest freezes!

Sarge

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Monkey flu, what the hecks that ? is that what is going around now ?
Most people here dont bother getting the flu shots anyway. Paranoia again I suppose...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts