Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
People are under the impression that you have to hit the eyes of someone on the receiving end of pepper spray, gel what ever your choice to be effective! Horse Hockey! A direct hit to the chest will get to your lungs and face.

The police use pepper ball guns and aim for center mass the puff of pepper powder then travels to the nose eyes and lungs. And is very effective.

For those who have not been on the receiving end of a good quality pepper product I recommend you try it as in this day many assaults are with pepper spray. If hit you can't breathe or see, you salivate like a rabid dog. Your hands go to your eyes. Your lucky to find your butt let a lone draw your gun.

I recommend taking a hit to the face then draw and fire at a moving target such as a LEO B-27 target just moving on a clothesline right to left.

As my father was LEO and the director of the police academy for 6 years. I got to experience both pepper and a Taser for us regular folks your screwed. At the shooting range I was unable to hit the target after being sprayed with pepper spray. Just for clarification I did not get shot with the Taser as I was a civilian and only had it pressed to my back.

And the Taser dropped me like a rock.
Even my daughter and wife's personal Taser will mess with your day. The only difference that I noticed as with most personal Tasers you have to keep contact where the better ones that are available here and for the LEO use have the barbs.

Even those are sketchy as you need both barbs to penetrate the skin and if they are geeked up on drugs good luck.

I hope I have enlightened some here that has not had these products used on the them before. I'm sure most are going to still grab your gun. And hope they put their hands up and scream don't shoot. Only to have the 90 year old lady have a heart attack next to you. Remember you own that bullet the minute you draw your weapon.

If you can find a shoot don't shoot training course I recommend it. I watched a class of 30 cadets go through it and I don't belive even 10 passed. Also for clarification this was 25 years ago and I'm now 62.

Update I'm not opposed to a gun. I have more than I could use. And I'm not afraid to draw if the occasion occurs. I'm just saying right now they are destroying people's lives that legitimately have a strong case to use deadly force. Police have body cams and even with the bad guy walking at the cop shooting to kill as soon as the cop shoots or more than one shoots the sharks/Lawyers start counting bullets and it's never fair when you are a better shot then the bad guy. Read the news folks. Okay I'll step down now. Thanks for entertaining an old fart.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
That's another reason I'm shying away from pepper gas. I've been hit by my own pepper gas just testing it. A swirl of wind is all it takes.

·
Super Moderator
21,797 Posts
I'm getting dizzy!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Pepper spray and tasers-not good defensive weapons. Yes, either will drop YOU like a rock. Psychotics, however (estimated 6 percent of the population, much higher among criminals) are quite resistant to both. Further, pepper spray is more of a grenade than a precision tool. If you use it, you WILL be affected. I also recall the inmate DEA brought us at the federal lockup in California. He had two prong burn marks along both arms. He'd been practicing tasing himself and was quite resistant to these types of electric shock.

An impact weapon is much more effective.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Reason I carried pepper spray was if i were bothered by a drunk. But, that hasn't happened in years and I stay away from places like New Orleans. :LOL: I can think of as many scenarios where I wouldn't use it as where I would, but then, if you have it on you, you can make the decision real time.

When I was younger and could throw a mean punch, pepper spray wasn't as big a deal, but I'm not young anymore. I might still carry it if I lived in a city, but out here or in town, I don't feel I really need anything. I still carry my revolver cause you just never know. especially these days.. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with adding pepper spray to our EDC. I think it’s prudent to have another option other than deadly force. An idiot won’t back off so we go straight to deadly force? Deadly force is the LAST RESORT not the first. Perhaps for the impending legal problems it may be best to say I tried everything I had to avoid using my gun.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I agree with adding pepper spray to our EDC. I think it’s prudent to have another option other than deadly force. An idiot won’t back off so we go straight to deadly force? Deadly force is the LAST RESORT not the first. Perhaps for the impending legal problems it may be best to say I tried everything I had to avoid using my gun.
We have seen police getting flak for shooting when they could have just used pepper spray. Media and politically motivated prosecutors will make hay of anything in order to get you. (Depending on your group memberships...)
So with or without pepper spray, you can say you used everything you had to avoid shooting... so my real question is: Does having pepper spray available increase or decrease my odds of survival?
I'd like to see Massad Ayoob's take on that.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
36,907 Posts
I'm getting dizzy!

yep! what we need to do is change subject to say whats the BEST caliber or whats the BEST ammunition!---Griiin.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Gyrojet.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
36,907 Posts
.357 magnum, of course. 🤦‍♂️
well of course ---IF you don't have a 38 Super!--that goes without saying ,although i did anyway!

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
See, what you do is spray 'em with pepper spray, then you can throw roundhouse kicks, beat 'em with your bare hands and you don't even have to be Chuck Norris. :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
We have seen police getting flak for shooting when they could have just used pepper spray. Media and politically motivated prosecutors will make hay of anything in order to get you. (Depending on your group memberships...)
So with or without pepper spray, you can say you used everything you had to avoid shooting... so my real question is: Does having pepper spray available increase or decrease my odds of survival?
I'd like to see Massad Ayoob's take on that.

Up front not a fan of Massad Ayoob.

However, from experience in the amount of time one uses pepper spray or even a Taser styled weapon, both of which could end up being ineffective with someone with a weapon, in self defense you have lost time which is critical in close combat quarter fighting...think robbery at your car in a Walmart parking lot.

When we were trained to use Tasers (about 2005), we were instructed they are NOT to be used against an armed individual because of the time factor of switching to a firearm if needed.

Of course, people can do as they wish. I believe people worry too much about the legal ramifications of a continued escalation of force. If a person has a deadly weapon, it is weapon on weapon fighting. Now, if it's some obnoxious drunk or some peacock, young stud who is showing off to his girlfriend at the mall because you looked at her, then go with the pepper spray...it is effective, and you'll probably get some on you, too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Pepper spray saved me from a dog attack. I all ways carry it. I didn’t want to shoot someone’s dog.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
If you've never used pepper spray, understand it WILL affect you as well. Also, there is a percent of the population that it does not work on (used to be about 6 percent.) Unfortunately, this 6 percent contains many psychotic/sociopathic people. Personally, I would not carry it. Someone is either a threat or he is not. If he's not a threat, get away. If he prevents you from leaving-well, I'm old with a number of medical conditions, and I live in a very conservative area.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you've never used pepper spray, understand it WILL affect you as well. Also, there is a percent of the population that it does not work on (used to be about 6 percent.) Unfortunately, this 6 percent contains many psychotic/sociopathic people. Personally, I would not carry it. Someone is either a threat or he is not. If he's not a threat, get away. If he prevents you from leaving-well, I'm old with a number of medical conditions, and I live in a very conservative area.
That’s up to you. I can’t outrun a dog. I made sure the wind was behind me and sent a blast from about 20’ away. I actually missed him/her and the stream was high. Just a sniff of it made him/her get all wide eyed, start sneezing, and left me alone.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
back a few year in the 80s i saw a guy that was high on PCP take a can of pepper spay to face and down his throat. It didn't slow him down much. The exception not the rule for sure.
Less than lethal spray has the same requirements of use as using lethal. A permit required to carry for some places with other restrictions.
If you can get to your spray out in time , you can get your gun. The right tool for the right job. I have pepper spray and carry it if the job calls for it.
I don't do those kind of jobs much. Jobs=put myself in a known place where my edc is not going to be the best option.
When I was in college I had to take a course in preventing sexual assault and domestic violence (I was the only guy in my RN class) and there was a lecture by a domestic violence counselor. The woman said to the class that they shouldn't use a gun to protect themselves because it is a device and in an attack you won't have time to use it, the attacker will just take it away from you and use it against you. :rolleyes: Later on in the class she suggested they use pepper spray against an attacker. (?????)

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
When I was in college I had to take a course in preventing sexual assault and domestic violence (I was the only guy in my RN class) and there was a lecture by a domestic violence counselor. The woman said to the class that they shouldn't use a gun to protect themselves because it is a device and in an attack you won't have time to use it, the attacker will just take it away from you and use it against you. :rolleyes: Later on in the class she suggested they use pepper spray against an attacker. (?????)
I remember a video titled, "Why Smart People Say Stupid Things" that would seem to apply.
I was going to provide a link, but when I searched for it, all I found was stupid people saying stupid things about smart people saying stupid things... :(

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: olfarhors
21 - 38 of 38 Posts